Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan  (Read 15174 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:03:34 am »

The base Impreza sedan appeals to a "broad spectrum of buyers... particularly those who place all-wheel drive high on their wish lists," but its "generic styling and laid-back attitude" make it less appealing "if you're looking for some excitement," says Haney Louka.

Read More...

Sival

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:33 am »
Frankly, it costs more than most compacts, it has disappointing acceleration for a 2.5L and pretty poor fuel economy.

It's all about AWD though, if you absolutely want it or need it, then the Impreza is probably the best choice. If you don't care whether you have it or not, just take the Impreza off your list now and go for something else.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:39 am »
They might not be in the same class of vehicle, but I would take a Juke SV AWD for about $400 more than this Impreza.  That's just me though.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:27:23 am »
I'll take a turbo on top as well as upgraded equipment for $10 000 more......oh wait......I did

aknutson

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:11:19 am »
They might not be in the same class of vehicle, but I would take a Juke SV AWD for about $400 more than this Impreza.  That's just me though.  :)

I was thinking that, but then I prefer a manual, and unfortunately the Juke offers no such thing with AWD...Subaru will remain a cult favourite as long as it offers this combo of turbo and n/a vehicles with a proven AWD system and driver-engaging manual shifters.

While the base model may not be a performance thriller, it also returns comfort for the loss of pure at-the-limit grip, and with a 5-speed it's still more fun than a slushbox.

triuman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02:17 pm »
Impreza was one I looked at, however its looks and price did not thrill me, so I ended up with an 8th gen Civic........

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »
FWD compacts are better for most people, as they are lighter, more frugal and better equipped - but for those that want AWD, the real selling point of these vehicles - it's  nice to have the option to stick with a car instead of needing a crossover or SUV. I would consider one, but I can't justify the relatively poor fuel economy just for the limited use I would get out of AWD. We get maybe 2-3 bad snows a year (last year there was zero!), but good fuel economy lasts all year long.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »
I would never consider the sedan.  Sorry Subaru, but hatches are it for us.

Moving to the hatch, the Subaru Impreza shines.  Compared to a Mazda 3 Sport, it offers comparable HP and fuel economy (the Mazda also has poor-in-class fuel economy) but you have the added benefit of AWD.  The Matrix is an alternative, and luckily it offers the 1.8L with FWD, which is a real alternative to the Impreza Hatch, but if you move to the Matrix AWD, the only engine is the 2.4, and this combo has less HP than the Subaru and similar fuel economy.  The Matrix also uses slip-grip AWD which is good for getting away from slippery intersections, but is dramatically inferior to Subaru's AWD on poor roads at speed.

Offline rocknuts

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:26:15 pm »
Looks to me the Suzuki SX4 is a better deal than this car and it comes in hatchback form plus its 4WD

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 04:36:56 pm »

It's not just you.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 06:06:06 pm »
jaeqer and canuckg35
just for you
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/26/2011-nissan-juke-first-drive-review-road-test/

someone said -- it grows on you , i think they are right -- looks better in blue -

Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 06:53:24 pm »
Moving to the hatch, the Subaru Impreza shines.  Compared to a Mazda 3 Sport, it offers comparable HP and fuel economy (the Mazda also has poor-in-class fuel economy) but you have the added benefit of AWD.  The Matrix is an alternative, and luckily it offers the 1.8L with FWD, which is a real alternative to the Impreza Hatch, but if you move to the Matrix AWD, the only engine is the 2.4, and this combo has less HP than the Subaru and similar fuel economy.  The Matrix also uses slip-grip AWD which is good for getting away from slippery intersections, but is dramatically inferior to Subaru's AWD on poor roads at speed.

Mazda has added a GX Sport with the 2.0L engine if you want better mileage plus hatch utility.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 07:53:50 pm »
jaeqer and canuckg35
just for you
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/26/2011-nissan-juke-first-drive-review-road-test/

someone said -- it grows on you , i think they are right -- looks better in blue -

Thanks for the link, great writeup.  I agree about the blue, looks great in that colour.  And with some of the comments in that article, I completely agree with this one from Adamb.

I find it just amazing... I love it how some of you "Car Lovers" complain when we here in the US get things like the very generic toyota corolla, vw jetta, saying that americans yearn for something different, and when we finally get something at least bit promising these, "Car Lovers" bash it down, so, please if you ask for something different, here is the Juke, different, with an actual decent engine and horsepower, that even the pickiest of the bunch Autoblog, have approved, if you don't want something different, don't complain about the camry in your driveway.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 08:01:58 pm »
Mazda has added a GX Sport with the 2.0L engine if you want better mileage plus hatch utility.

The 2.0L engine returns better economy than the 2.5L, but still a long way from the best in class, and not a dramatic improvement over the larger engines from Subaru or Mazda.

I think the Juke looks like a real contender, but I'd like to see the size of the cargo space.

SJP

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »
I am one of those people who have never understood Subaru sedans. Their line up includes some great vehicles that are sensible alternatives to suv/cuv whatevers, and with their superior awd system, they make a lot of sense having most of the utility, with better on road manners and fuel economy. Once you put a trunk on it, it competes in a whole different segment, where it's only trump card is the awd system, which is likely less of an issue for someone buying a small sedan.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 11:16:23 pm »
I'll take a turbo on top as well as upgraded equipment for $10 000 more......oh wait......I did

:iagree: ;D  :cheers: :skid:
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Alex

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »
I am one of those people who have never understood Subaru sedans. Their line up includes some great vehicles that are sensible alternatives to suv/cuv whatevers, and with their superior awd system, they make a lot of sense having most of the utility, with better on road manners and fuel economy. Once you put a trunk on it, it competes in a whole different segment, where it's only trump card is the awd system, which is likely less of an issue for someone buying a small sedan.

It's a North American thing, mostly US, for some reason. Hatchbacks are seen as inferior, so manufacturers append a separate ass trunk to existing cars that were never meant to have one, to compete in the huge NA market. Works in some cases (gen 2 Jetta, 1986-ish), looks disastrous in others (Echo / Yaris 1st gen, and the new Fiesta sedan).

I agree with you in general, but this is the explanation. They HAVE to have one.

Sival

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »

It's a North American thing, mostly US, for some reason. Hatchbacks are seen as inferior, so manufacturers append a separate ass trunk to existing cars that were never meant to have one, to compete in the huge NA market. Works in some cases (gen 2 Jetta, 1986-ish), looks disastrous in others (Echo / Yaris 1st gen, and the new Fiesta sedan).

I agree with you in general, but this is the explanation. They HAVE to have one.

Not just for the North American market.

The Japanese market also likes sedans a lot, ironic considering how their cars are, if anything, smaller than those in Europe. For instance, the Echo sedan has basically come out in Japan at the same time as the hatchback (the sedan being called the Platz (an appropriate name from my Québécois point of view) and the hatchback the Vitz (completely inappropriate from the same POV)*).

* For those not familiar with French, Platz sound like "plate" which literally means "flat" but means "boring!" in slang. Vitz sounds like "vite", literally "fast".

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 01:43:22 am »
mazda in general has always dropped the ball on engine performance and gas mileage compared to all the japanese brands in my opinion , at least suburu has an excuse for its poor mpg ratings because of their added weight of the all wheel drive , ,mazda has none , suburu also has another advantage over the mazda 3 , one i've always admired in subys , is their low center of gravity their engines provides
mazda gets a failing grade for mpg  from their rx8  all the way down to their mazda 3 and 2 in my opinion , and i should know , i own one
 the most effecient bang for your buck mpg engines used to come from honda , toyota and bmw - now with direct injection , that changes with hyundais new line coming up
hopefully mazda's next gen motors , the di motors are alot better  ZOOM  ZOOM  ha,ha
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:30:00 am by bikenut »

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:01 am »
for the thin skins out there a car is a hunk of metal with an engine it it , sure i love my car , but its only a car , no car is perfect . i don't feel threatened ,attacked , put down because some one else doesn't like my car , i picked it for my own reasons i'm happy with and thats all that matters
i don't base its worth or my worth on someone elses opinion of my car because , get this , it's only a car .
 your self esteem is not related to your car unless you want it to be
and for those who do -- well ,to each his own - maybe get some counselling  ha,ha
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:26:36 am by bikenut »