Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE V6  (Read 12258 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE V6
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:59 am »

Though a new four-cylinder motor is available in the base 2011 Sienna LE minivan, Chris Chase recommends the V6 because it can handle a full load of passengers and cargo and its fuel consumption isn't much worse than the four's.

Read More...

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE V6
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:07:56 am »
Who in the world would want a 4 cylinder mini van? They are under-powered. Period. Remember the 1996 Honda Odyssey? What a dud.

The V6 no doubt is the engine of choice for a mini van, but until I've heard from my mechanic that Toyota engine sludge problems have stopped, I would use fully syntheic oil and change the PCV valve once a year. Don't take a chance.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:48:30 am »
It is close to 200hp though in the 4 so it's probably just fine.  BUT.....

Co-worker's friend was looking and Toyota had NONE in 4cyl so it exists to order but you can't testdrive one apparently... and you can only get it in very basic trim which nobody wants...

Alex

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »
Who in the world would want a 4 cylinder mini van? They are under-powered. Period. Remember the 1996 Honda Odyssey? What a dud.

The V6 no doubt is the engine of choice for a mini van, but until I've heard from my mechanic that Toyota engine sludge problems have stopped, I would use fully syntheic oil and change the PCV valve once a year. Don't take a chance.

Please educate the unwashed.... why change the PCV valve annually? Synthetic - yes, agree and understand, but why PCV?

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »
Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve
for more info on PCV valves.

Basically helps to prevent sludging. Also very cheap to do ($3 for the part) and you can do it yourself. Just pull it out and put a new one in. Cheap preventative maintenance. I do mine every fall along with the engine air filter.

Alex

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:47:50 pm »
Read en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve
for more info on PCV valves.

Basically helps to prevent sludging. Also very cheap to do ($3 for the part) and you can do it yourself. Just pull it out and put a new one in. Cheap preventative maintenance. I do mine every fall along with the engine air filter.

Thanks!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
Awww dammit! They fixed my only issue with this minivan by making it easier to access that second and third row. About time someone builds a van that you can actually walk to the last row from the INSIDE of the vehicle.

My one last complaint about many 3rd rows was the lack of the child seat anchors for baby seats. Does anyone know if this one has it in all 3 rows? I think I'd be fine with just the first 2 as 3rd row will be needed for strollers, storage, etc.

My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:17:51 pm »
Awww dammit! They fixed my only issue with this minivan by making it easier to access that second and third row. About time someone builds a van that you can actually walk to the last row from the INSIDE of the vehicle.

My one last complaint about many 3rd rows was the lack of the child seat anchors for baby seats. Does anyone know if this one has it in all 3 rows? I think I'd be fine with just the first 2 as 3rd row will be needed for strollers, storage, etc.

Maybe you Ford extended Van to carry all that or a bus ;D

Offline Sir Timbit

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:30 am »
My brother-in-law had a 2007 Sienna that was involved in a nasty collision. Fortunately no one was hurt and it wasn't his fault, so when all was said and done he ended up with a new 2011 Sienna.

If there was one thing both of us noticed between the new model and the previous one, I'd have to say it was the interior plastics. While it was okay, the plastics around the passenger glove box area seemed hard and a notch down in quality from the previous model. Reminded me of how everyone was slamming recent Chrysler products for doing the same thing. And Consumer Reports slammed the new model for having more road noise come through the interior. Didn't really notice that as we were just cruising downtown. Otherwise it seemed like a nice upgrade from the previous generation.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:15:29 am »
The sludge thing is long gone.  Toyota reverted to 8K oil changes and all is well.  Many makes had lots of problems when they had a race to see who could advertise the longest intervals.  Mercedes had a huge problem with their 22,500km oil change intervals.  Crazy.  True that engines are cleaner and oil better, but those super-long intervals created a lot more problems than the money they saved owners.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:58:44 am »
The sludge thing is long gone.  Toyota reverted to 8K oil changes and all is well.  Many makes had lots of problems when they had a race to see who could advertise the longest intervals.  Mercedes had a huge problem with their 22,500km oil change intervals.  Crazy.  True that engines are cleaner and oil better, but those super-long intervals created a lot more problems than the money they saved owners.

Nothing like BMW 25,000 oil changes  :rofl:
I do the 10k oil change with syn oil

derek234

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 12:09:34 am »
This is a POOR review for sure.  There is no mention of interior fit and finish and the hard plastics everywhere which is where most of the complaints about this vehicle are coming from.   I just read the Consumer reports on this vehicle and it was NOT good.  The sienna went from a 91 to an 80 for total marks.  Huge drop compared to the last generation.   The person reviewing this is either bias or didn't look over the inside of this vehicle very well.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:35 am »
There is no mention of interior fit and finish and the hard plastics everywhere which is where most of the complaints about this vehicle are coming from.   I just read the Consumer reports on this vehicle and it was NOT good.  The sienna went from a 91 to an 80 for total marks.  Huge drop compared to the last generation.   The person reviewing this is either bias or didn't look over the inside of this vehicle very well.

That's right - I focused on the functional aspect of the interior. And biased? Seriously? Have you read any of my other Toyota/Lexus reviews?
I used to work here.

derek234

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:44 pm »
Congrats for focusing on the functional aspect.   And the fact that some panels don't even line up ?  That's a serious step down for Toyota and you should have mentioned that.  Several other reviewers have commented on it and I have seen it first hand as well as the forums are full of people complaining about it.   It should not have been ignored.   And yes, I did read your review of the lexus GX460.   I didn't mind your review but I find you spend 90% of your time just regurgitating facts on the toyota website, such as body on frame design, the trim levels, prices, tires, and general facts about the vehicle and don't spend enough time telling us whether its good quality, poor quality, better then the previous generation or worse, how the ride feels to you.  Less facts or the same, but a more personal review is needed in my humble opinion.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:31:04 pm by derek234 »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 02:16:47 pm »

The Toyota Previa was also a 4 cylinder and those things were everywhere...

The Mazda 5 is also a 4 cylinder, mind you it's only 3400 lb not 4400 lb.

As for oil changes, 8,000km is a good number. I'd stay away from dino oil anyway... use synthetic. The stuff is probably good to 10, maybe 12,000km but hey clean good oil = happy engines.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:19:22 pm by DKaz »

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »

The Toyota Previa was also a 4 cylinder and those things were everywhere...

The Mazda 5 is also a 4 cylinder, mind you it's only 3400 lb not 4400 lb.

The guy driving a 4 cylinder Seinna in Autoblog Podcast #192 seemed to think it was OK.

Mini Van?!

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »
Congrats for focusing on the functional aspect. 

Yeah Congrat's toyota....not only do you have all those PR problems, thousands of cars on recall...you're still building mini vans....lol.  Welcome to the 80's!  Maybe they should come with an 8 trac option...lol.

Give it up man!   :surrend:

Yoda

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 01:38:32 pm »
Congrats for focusing on the functional aspect. 

Yeah Congrat's toyota....not only do you have all those PR problems, thousands of cars on recall...you're still building mini vans....lol.  Welcome to the 80's!  Maybe they should come with an 8 trac option...lol.

Give it up man!   :surrend:

You no like - you no buy. Toyota PR problems created  by Obamverment, to recoup some of the money they sunk into GM. Also, the world does not end with North America. Google minivans elsewhere. Everyone (save for those like Ferrari, Alfa, Morgan) builds and sell them.

Just because North America has this fascination with hatchbacks on stilts, does not mean the madness has spread outside. And since Toyota can build AND sell every one they make (I should know, I waited 3 months for mine in 2009), kudos indeed.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 02:14:35 pm »
(I should know, I waited 3 months for mine in 2009)

Despite how terrible these Sienna are, it's funny that they are in short supply @ 4.8% /60 even when one can go down the road and get a disposable Grand Caravan at 0% with the nicer plastic panels.  ::)   Obviously, ppl are insane.  :)

The 2.7 is a stout power train and will meet the needs of most retired minvan owner couples.  You know them:  the one's that are traveling down the highway spot on at 80kph (49.9 mph) followed by 7 other vehicles bumper to bumper.

In other words, the majority of Sienna drivers will find the 2.7 just fine for their needs.  AND the 2.7 gets significantly better city mileage than the V6s were they spend most of their lives.  In 5 years time when gas is $1.40 litre a used 2011 2.7 Sienna will be an easy sell hard plastics included.     

derek234

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 08:19:07 pm »
Artic Steve, you are wrong about the gas mileage on the 4 Cylinder.  It does NOT get significantly better mileage than the 6 Cyl.   In fact several reviews have commented that because it only gets 1 or 2 miles gallon better its basically not worth having, for far less horsepower.