Author Topic: Auto Tech: Cooper winter tires  (Read 17212 times)

NMC

Re: Auto Tech: Cooper winter tires
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:04 am »
I hope that Cooper has improved their product over the years.  I owned some Weathermaster ST's about 5 years ago that actually started to crumble and lose chunks of rubber after 3 winters of use.  I've never had that problem with any other tire, not even the cheapest Walmart or Canadian Tire model.  I now stick with Michelin's for winter.  They cost more but I used one set for up to 9 seasons.

Richard Dinning

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:51 am »
When will the Ontario MTO just mandate them for all vehicles? They are proven to have better braking, control and tend to get into less accidents than cars with all-seasons. Mine are at the ready for November.

The above comment seems to reflect people's feelings if they don't live in Southern Ontario. However here in the GTA you will find a completely different mind set. In the last four years we have had two Winters with very few days below zero and absolutely zero snow for the entire Winter.

Admittedly we had two snow falls in early December (before Winter), but who buys tires for two snow falls? I haven't driven on snow covered roads in more than 20 years. Those two snow falls the city had the roads cleared and salted before I had to leave the house.

walk0080

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:13 am »
When will the Ontario MTO just mandate them for all vehicles? They are proven to have better braking, control and tend to get into less accidents than cars with all-seasons. Mine are at the ready for November.

The above comment seems to reflect people's feelings if they don't live in Southern Ontario. However here in the GTA you will find a completely different mind set. In the last four years we have had two Winters with very few days below zero and absolutely zero snow for the entire Winter.

Admittedly we had two snow falls in early December (before Winter), but who buys tires for two snow falls? I haven't driven on snow covered roads in more than 20 years. Those two snow falls the city had the roads cleared and salted before I had to leave the house.

The problem is that performance tires start loosing traction on dry roads long before the temp reaches 0 degrees Celsius. Any car with summer performance tires really needs snow tires in the winter, even in Southern Ontario. Just one accident avoidance incident in Toronto with winter tires on slick wet sub-zero roads saved me from having to pay thousands in body work damage.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:06:35 am by walk0080 »