Author Topic: Auto Tech: Cooper winter tires  (Read 17214 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Cooper winter tires
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:02:44 am »

Technical Editor Jim Kerr compared the performance of Cooper's new winter tire, the Weather-Master WSC, to the popular Nokian Hakkapeliitta and "was surprised at what he found out."

Read More...

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: Cooper winter tires
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:30:26 am »
Consumers are told to look for a molded-in sidewall mountain and snowflake symbol for confirmation a tire satisfies severe winter performance requirements. Transport Canada cautions the logo is untrustworthy. Manufacturers are cheating. Some tires bearing it are no better on snow and ice than all-season tires. Look for the symbol, then at the brand name and price of the tire. It's hard to pay a little and get a lot.

http://tinyurl.com/25mrc4u
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:35:09 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 07:37:34 am »
When will the Ontario MTO just mandate them for all vehicles? They are proven to have better braking, control and tend to get into less accidents than cars with all-seasons. Mine are at the ready for November.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:49:59 am »
Good to see good winter tire reviews.

If all drivers in Canada were required to have 4 winter tires when driving on snow we would all benefit from fewer road blockages and lower insurance costs and peace of mind venturing out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4256986670/

Carl_NDelta

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:37:15 pm »
I hope they make them in 18", 19", and 20".  So many new cars with these sizes.

I started looking for 18" tires a month ago for my new Traverse AWD and there were not many choices.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 02:38:02 pm »
Can't you go with 17s or even 16s on the Traverse? Would be tons cheaper.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:14 pm »
I hope they make them in 18", 19", and 20".  So many new cars with these sizes.

I started looking for 18" tires a month ago for my new Traverse AWD and there were not many choices.

Tire Rack says 17" x 8" wheels with 255/70R17 tires are suitable.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:30:13 pm by Gardiner Westbound »

triuman

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:55:31 pm »
Good to see a winter tire test, the season will be coming. And I wouldn't think of Cooper so much for winter wear, but the article will make me include them for consideration.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:33:21 pm »
It is the time. I'm considering the all-weather Hankook Optimo 4S for my Vibe. Finally an alternative to the expensive Nokian WR's.

Carl_NDelta

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 01:55:27 am »

My originals are P255/65R18 and it is on an AWD - the Traction Control and Tire Pressure system is something to keep in mind.  Not sure how much is measured by the rotation of the tire and how much by sensors in the tire.

I know the LS model takes 17's but I'm a bit leery of getting the O.D. of the tire wrong.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 09:12:52 am »

My originals are P255/65R18 and it is on an AWD - the Traction Control and Tire Pressure system is something to keep in mind.  Not sure how much is measured by the rotation of the tire and how much by sensors in the tire.

I know the LS model takes 17's but I'm a bit leery of getting the O.D. of the tire wrong.

See 1010Tires' Tire Calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

The attached Tire Calculator.pdf confirms the suggested 17" tires and your stock tires have the same outside diameter.

Substituting 17" tires should not affect the traction control.

If you want to retain the TPMS you will have to buy a second set of tire pressure sensors for the winter wheels. They're expensive, especially from a new car dealer. Some systems can deal with eight sensors, some only four. In the latter event the new sensors will not work with the car’s TPMS until the system is recalibrated to communicate with them. This may be a cost-free DIY procedure or entail an extra $100 to $150 to the tire store depending on the system. If the tire dealer can't do it to the car dealership you must go. Bend over and grease up for that one! When your summer tires go back on you might have to recalibrate the system again to communicate with the original sensors, and repeat the process every Spring and Fall at switchover. It's a royal pain in the ass and wallet, not worth it in my view. The downside is you will have to look at the yellow dash warning light all winter.

I equipped our Infiniti FX with a winter wheel and tire package from TireRack two years ago. Downsized from 18" to 17". Saved a ton of money. Skipped the TPMS sensors. No regrets. 18" tires are significantly cheaper now than then, but I imagine substantial savings are still available. See the attached Shopping Cart.pdf.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:49:18 pm by Gardiner Westbound »

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 11:00:14 am »
It is the time. I'm considering the all-weather Hankook Optimo 4S for my Vibe.

I've been thinking about those too. That's the one you can apparently use all year round ? If you do press the trigger, provide some feedback here.

I'm also thinking about winter specific Gislaved tires - again I hear good things about them too.

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:42 am »
When will the Ontario MTO just mandate them for all vehicles? They are proven to have better braking, control and tend to get into less accidents than cars with all-seasons. Mine are at the ready for November.

Yes that's all we need in Canada, more mandates!  :popo: :popo: :popo: How about we mandate intelligent drivers first?

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 03:51:06 pm »

Yes that's all we need in Canada, more mandates!  :popo: :popo: :popo: How about we mandate intelligent drivers first?

Don't give McGuinty any ideas. This is Taxario. He'll put a new tax on it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:05:20 am by Gardiner Westbound »

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:53:14 pm »
Kumho Makes a nice true 4 season tire now as well, the Solus Vier. But I don't know when it will be available if at all in Canada....

Carl_NDelta

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 02:22:14 am »
Saved a ton of money. Skipped the TPMS sensors. No regrets. 18" tires are significantly cheaper now than then, but I imagine substantial savings are still available. See the attached Shopping Cart.pdf.

Looks very good!  Now to find out more about my TPMS.  Thanks for the legwork!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 06:36:06 am »
I've found the guys at tirerack.com to be very helpful on the subject of TPMS. (and their pricing for sensors was about half of what our MINI dealer wanted)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 07:18:07 am »
aknutson & Gardiner Westbound - You know the benefits of winter tires, no doubt they help with braking and control and clearly has other benefits such as less accidents, injuries, property damage and economic benefits (yes, taxing drivers) and we wouldn't have these drivers driving on summer/all-season tires who can't climb a hill due to no traction.

You can mandate winter tires, can't mandate intelligent drivers unfortunately.

aknutson

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 08:51:21 am »
aknutson & Gardiner Westbound - You know the benefits of winter tires, no doubt they help with braking and control and clearly has other benefits such as less accidents, injuries, property damage and economic benefits (yes, taxing drivers) and we wouldn't have these drivers driving on summer/all-season tires who can't climb a hill due to no traction.

You can mandate winter tires, can't mandate intelligent drivers unfortunately.

You're absolutely right, winter tires do offer better performance in cold weather, but I still think that should be the choice of the driver and not enforced by law. For all the benefits winter tires provide below zero, they offer an opposite effect when the temperature rises. So what about all the drivers who try to 'kill off' the last of their winter tires by driving them through the spring? Consumer Reports found that winter tires have a much longer braking distance than even all-seasons as the temp rises, so then do we mandate that all people have summer tires? Do you get a ticket if you have winter tires on past March? What about rental cars, those don't have winter tires, that should be mandated too. In fact, we all know loud stereos can cause permanent hearing damage, let's put a limiter on car stereo volumes. You see where this train of thought ends up? Anything could be regulated, but as a generally intelligent species, we need to be able to have some common sense and personal responsibility outside our government regulations.

As much as I am baffled by some of the stupid drivers on the road, I admit that the average person is pretty intelligent when it comes to getting done what they need to do. Nobody wants to get into an accident, drivers should be offered better winter training and preparation for maintaining control in slippery conditions, and then given the choice how they use those skills. Freedom is important to me, and I know how to drive my car - if for some reason I don't want to buy winter tires, that should be my choice...unless the feds want to buy me a set of new winters! lol.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:11:06 pm »
Saved a ton of money. Skipped the TPMS sensors. No regrets. 18" tires are significantly cheaper now than then, but I imagine substantial savings are still available. See the attached Shopping Cart.pdf.

Looks very good!  Now to find out more about my TPMS.  Thanks for the legwork!

Your cost saving by downsizing from 18" to 17" wheels and (Blizzak) winter tires is $165 for a set of four at U.S. TireRack prices before shipping, duties, broker fees, taxes, foreign exchange and bank charges. Don't know how significant that is for you.

It's a very large cost decrease from two years ago when I bought mine. Then downsizing from 18" to 17" wheels and winter tires saved over a $1,000 for the set.

Canadian online retailer 1010Tires usually has a September free shipping promotion. It pretty much equalizes it's delivered cost with TireRack.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:55:58 pm by Gardiner Westbound »