Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Nissan Juke  (Read 52934 times)

CatsEye68

Re: First Drive: 2011 Nissan Juke
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2010, 09:32:40 am »
Viewed it in person yesterday.  Love the looks, but again I like the original RAV4 - so what does that say. 

We all know exactly what that says: you like two of the most unattractive little POS wheeled boxes that have ever hit the roads. :)

Leviathan

« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2010, 05:24:01 pm »
Viewed it in person yesterday.  Love the looks, but again I like the original RAV4 - so what does that say. 

We all know exactly what that says: you like two of the most unattractive little POS wheeled boxes that have ever hit the roads. :)
Yikes. This Juke is likable and the original RAV4 was funky enough.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »
Saw the Juke for the first time in person this past weekend.  I really like the funky looks of it.  While it doesn't suit my needs whatsoever, I think Nissan will sell a bunch of these.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12422
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »
Saw the Juke for the first time in person this past weekend.  I really like the funky looks of it.  While it doesn't suit my needs whatsoever, I think Nissan will sell a bunch of these.

My sentiments exactly.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »
Was looking forward to get up to some snow and slush this morning! ;D  Dam nothing :(

Smudgeone

« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread, but I thought I could add to this.

I initially was pushing myself past the "different" front end to get to the engineering aspect of this vehicle. I think that its pretty wicked what they have done in a small car. However, when I got to the dealer, I couldn't get past the front end. Those giant plastic extrusions on the hood that hold the signal lamps just shouldn't be there. They ruined the car for me.

I'm slightly north of 6'4" and the interior of this car was much more cramped than I'd like. The steering wheel was hard to reach and I was definately cramped. Dash controls looked dated for a 2000 car, never mind one from 2011, I wish I had a chance to see some of the auto controls.

I drive a Suzuki SX4, its got more usable interior room all around, and availabe with AWD/6speed/2.0L NA engine, all for around $20K. Ground clearance may be an arguable point, but you could easily purchase a lift kit for the SX4 to match.

As much as I like the engine in the Juke, its looks and high price don't justify a purchase. If the aftermarket can fix those fugly light pods on the hood, I think I'd go for it on the used market.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »
i admit, the raised "eye brows" are....unusual.

other than that, the model i drove (fully loaded AWD model) was great to drive.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2010, 09:01:49 am »
When I first saw photos of the Juke, it looked interesting from the side and rear view, but the front end left me well lets say speechless.

I saw my first on the road today, and it was "cute" from the back and sides but still butt ugly from the front.

There's now doubt the younger drivers( early twenties to early thirties) will like it as that is who Nissan's aiming this vehicle at, not the old geezers like me. Its to bad, because there are a lot of good features in this vehicle, and I am sure they would see more sales with more traditional front end styling.

hey old geezer...I'm 51 years young.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2010, 11:48:54 am »
When I first saw photos of the Juke, it looked interesting from the side and rear view, but the front end left me well lets say speechless.

I saw my first on the road today, and it was "cute" from the back and sides but still butt ugly from the front.

There's now doubt the younger drivers( early twenties to early thirties) will like it as that is who Nissan's aiming this vehicle at, not the old geezers like me. Its to bad, because there are a lot of good features in this vehicle, and I am sure they would see more sales with more traditional front end styling.

the reality is, the looks of vehicles will continue to evolve...perhaps the Juke is maybe a step or two ahead in progression, but i would imagine in 10-15 years, the Juke will look "normal".

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2010, 09:28:51 pm »

the reality is, the looks of vehicles will continue to evolve...perhaps the Juke is maybe a step or two ahead in progression, but i would imagine in 10-15 years, the Juke will look "normal".

We accepted the Echo way back in 2000 ;)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2010, 06:35:28 pm »
exactly...and the Element in 2003(?), the Cube in 2009, the Soul in 2009 and the other "odd" shapes brands like Infiniti has brought out over the last few years, along with Acura and Subaru.

CatsEye68

« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »

Only people with no sense of style or good design.

JohnnyCash

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2010, 03:26:50 am »
What a hideous vehicle! They should rename this to the Nissan Puke.

I see many of you are praising Nissan for making something different. This is simply different for the sake of being different though. I don't see why this deserves praise?

I also find it very ironic when people complain about the "blandness" of cars. Do you people also complain about the "blandness" of furniture, and appliances, and houses? Cars are meant to, and should look like, well CARS.

Cars frankly should not look like faces, or animals, or cartoon characters.

As for reviews being good, that has very little to do with consumer acceptance. Automotive journalists might like it, but the consumer market could entirely shun this product.

I remember when the Aztek came out it got some pretty good reviews from automotive journalists as well.

Many "enthusiasts" online and automotive journalists alike were expecting the Nissan Cube to sell well here in Canada. So how is that working out? Let me tell you, not very well.

As for Juke sales in Japan, first off, the Japanese love quirky cars. Secondly, new products in Japan often have high initial sales, but then fall off a cliff later on. For example, the new Honda Insight, when it debuted in Japan it had great sales for a few months, but afterwords sales fell off a cliff. There is no indication Juke sales will continue to be high in Japan. Also if you actually look at the top 20 sellers in the Japanese market, NONE of them are as weird or quirky or ugly as the Juke. The top selling vehicles in Japan are mostly elegant or more "normal" designs.

I do not expect this "thing" to sell well at all.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2010, 06:15:19 am »
I also find it very ironic when people complain about the "blandness" of cars. Do you people also complain about the "blandness" of furniture, and appliances, and houses? Cars are meant to, and should look like, well CARS.

As far as I know man has never been in love with a fridge, I like my fridge only because it`s full of beer.
Get a Corolla if you hate cars!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2010, 07:21:14 am »
how aboot a Corolla full of beer............. :cheers:.......Jukey ya gotta admit the cuv is POLARIZING.........many wont even date one cos of tha FACE......NICE UNDERPINNINGS THO.....that be life 101
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:07 am »

I don't know... I think 'old geezers like you' are more into different and quirky cars than you think... afterall, Honda was aiming their Element at young drivers too, and it instantly became popular with 'old geezers like you'. The same might very well happen with the Juke.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2010, 08:06:35 am »

Only people with no sense of style or good design.

:notroll:

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:48 am »
Old or young didn't matter to Honda much. They have discontinued the Elelment.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2010, 08:15:44 am »
Old or young didn't matter to Honda much. They have discontinued the Elelment.

What? That's the first I hear about this.

JohnnyCash

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2010, 01:49:12 pm »
I hate cars? Hardly. I'm probably more of a true automotive enthusiast than you sir.

I appreciate and am enthusiastic about ALL kinds of vehicles, unlike stereotypical "car enthusiasts" who only care about sport, and edgy styling.

Yes, that means I can appreciate cars like the Corolla as well.

I never said anything about being "in love" with a fridge. My point is when was the LAST time you heard someone actually complain about how their fridge looked? What about complaining about the way their house looks? Point is, this very rarely happens.

Yet, I constantly see and hear about "car enthusiasts" complaining about how bland most cars on the road are. Honestly, when I hear that, I question whether such people are enthusiasts at all. Such sort of people sound more like "sport car enthusiasts" and not car enthusiasts in general.

Complaining about how all cars on the road are bland and liking a vehicle that's different *just* for the sake of being different does not make one seem like an actual enthusiast.

I believe TRUE car enthusiasts appreciate ALL kinds of cars.