Author Topic: Feature: Great Roads of Western Canada: Highway 8 - The Nicola Highway  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Connecting B.C's Highway 1 and the Coquihalla Highway (97C), Highway 8 follows the Nicola River for about 60 kilometres. "Few highways can compare when it comes to delivering an exhilarating driving experience," says Russell Purcell.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Feature: Great Roads of Western Canada: Highway 8 - The Nicola Highway
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:09:05 am »
A great road.

I just hope not too many read this and try the road making a clear run at it that more difficult.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4923346466/

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:54 am »
In this day and age this article is useless without either a link to Google maps or equally good for most, a Google earth KML or KMZ file to tour us on the highway.

I hate these double posts from the Editor
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »
That is a great road but I haven't driven it for about 10 years, must do it again in the M3. When I did drive it, twice actually - once each way, it was not in a fun car but a Jeep. The drive over to Merritt from Kelowna on the Coq is boring, but you can run at some better speeds (detector in car!!). A full day trip from here would be to go south to Keremeos, then along Hiway 3 to Hope (a fun drive but watch for  :popo:), up the Fraser Canyon, over the Hiway 8 as in the article, and home to Kelowna on the Coq (boring but fast). It would be a very long day, but lots of differnt road types and scenery.

Another great drive using Kelowna as a base is Hiway 33 from east side of Kelowna, past Big White turnoff and all the way to Rock Creek. This a neat road with some open sections and some great twisties and little traffic. Can return by driving Hiway 3 west to Penticton (down Anarchist Pass - long, steep with hairpins) and back to Kelowna on 97. Can do this one in half a day. Watch for wildlife on 33.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:26:17 pm by ovr50 »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

DCypher

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:42 pm »
Not to be that guy but the 97C is not the Coquihalla, the 5 is. The 97C is the continuation of the 8 from Merrit east through to Okanagan Lake and Kelowna/Penticton.

It is a beautiful drive though, especially in the right car. And I think any Porsche (Cayenne excluded) would qualify.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:08:53 pm »
Not to be that guy but the 97C is not the Coquihalla, the 5 is. The 97C is the continuation of the 8 from Merrit east through to Okanagan Lake and Kelowna/Penticton.

It is a beautiful drive though, especially in the right car. And I think any Porsche (Cayenne excluded) would qualify.

I would not be so quick to exclude the Cayenne. It and the BMW X5M handle very well for their bulk. But, of course, not as well as their car bretheren.  ;)

DCypher

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »

I would not be so quick to exclude the Cayenne. It and the BMW X5M handle very well for their bulk. But, of course, not as well as their car bretheren.  ;)
I wasn't excluding the Cayenne as well-handling vehicle, especially for its size. I just wouldn't consider it the 'right car' for that drive.

Slide748

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:12:25 am »
If you want an excellent book on all the best roads in BC, then pick up "Destination Highway BC". Every avid motorcyclist uses it.

NgtRdr

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:15:43 am »
Ohh yummy!!  Dessert landscapes (2nd paragraph)?  I live in BC but I don't recall seeing mountains made of hot fudge sundae, sno cone, or strawberry cake.  I can't wait to try out this highway, it must be the road to Candyland!