Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Mazda2 GS, four-speed automatic  (Read 12023 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Mazda2 GS, four-speed automatic
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:06:58 am »

The "nimble and versatile" Mazda2 hatchback starts at just $13,995 for the base GX trim, but after adding the cost of popular options like an automatic transmission and air conditioning, you might as well opt for the $18,195 GS, says Paul Williams.

Read More...

John MacDonald

thanks for the post
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:54:29 am »
Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:07:05 pm by John MacDonald »

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Mazda2 GS, four-speed automatic
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:16:15 am »
Mazda isgoing to sell a whack (ie. lots) of them. Nothing wrong with having a "cheap to run" as long as it's not built "cheap".
Yes Mazda "cheaped" out with the 4 spd auto but I actually like the dash/controls of the 2 better than the Star Wars theme of the Fiesta.
As for the center armrest I agree. The Feista has a armrest/console coming latter in the year (brochure) and I would think the same with the Mazda 2.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:36:09 am »
if you get the slushboxes out of the equation then all three have , probably very good, manual transmission which are far better suited to these small cars anyway.

If they HAVE to have transmissions with "automatic gearchange and clutch"  then let them buy the rights to Ford or VW DSG and be done with it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

John Meyer

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:58:37 am »
I don't understand the reasons for not making the floor flat when the rear seats are put down.  This is a big issue if you use the potential of a rear hatch on a regular basis.

The Fit is the real champ in this department but is what Honda did that expensive for everyone else to copy??

Also, just finished a trip in an '09 5 speed auto Fit and the fuel computer is definitely wrong.  It was showing 10% lower than measured at the gas pump.  Quite disturbing.  We got around 5.4 measured and 6 at the pumps.  Still not disgraceful as we drove over some very hilly terrain and through extended periods of heavy downpours.  But how does the computer get it wrong?

Does the Mazda 2 have a fuel computer?

Cheers,
John Meyer

ps - last note on the Fit.  When descending a huge hill and touching the brakes, the transmission kicks down to third automatically to allow engine braking.  Brilliant feature.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:25:01 am »
Paul got this one bang on.  The Mazda2 looks inexpensive on the surface but add popular features like air and automatic and it's more expensive than the Fiesta (especially with Ford's current pricing).  Mazda typically offers 0% in the summer so that may offset it.

Quebec is the Mazda capital of Canada so I expect to see a ton of these in Ottawa / Montreal.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:30:23 am »
john   honda had to relocate the gas tank under the front seat of the fit and make it smaller to get its superior cargo space , whether this affects , on preventing other car seats from going down flat , i don't know

tpo -  mazda has its own sky 6 speed automatic coming out soon ,as well as direct injected motors

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:37:50 am »
I saw these at the dealer on the weekend and also a new Fiesta Hatch (in blue) parked at the Mazda lot. they were not directly side by side but close enough. To me its not even close. Fiesta all the way.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:16 am »
If Mazda wanted to dominate the market, they would put together a package that included auto, a/c, cruise and remote locking.  I don't care for auto so much, but my wife doesn't like manual transmissions.  I can only surmise that Mazda doesn't care about having good sales numbers.

Having to choose option packages just to get one or two features is going to push people away, but not as much as the dealers can!! I walked in to my local Mazda dealer last September prepared to buy a Mazda3 (that's what the wife wanted).  I said to the salesman, give me your best price on a Mazda3 with auto and a/c, and he replied by writing down the MSRP!  I said "is that your best price?" and he said "yes".  So I went next door to the Honda dealer who wrote down a price for a Civic that was more that $3k off the MSRP.  After tax, the Civic cost less than the Mazda Protege we bought in 2000.

My wife still grouses that she's not driving the Mazda3 but she does like her Civic a lot.

CDF

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:14:47 am »
"I was hoping that a GX with “auto” and “air” could be could be purchased at an “out the door” (taxes included) price of under $20,000, but not quite. And with the convenience package, you’re over $21,000."

I never thought I would say this, but man am I glad to live in Alberta. A GX with automatic and air is $18,714.18 in AB. That includes freight & PDI and taxes & fees.

To me the best value is the GX with Air and Convenience package and the standard 5-speed manual transmission. I've priced mine for $18,704 (everything in, plus an engine block heater - standard on cars sold on the Prairies) and hope to take delivery in a few weeks. ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:20:13 am »
I'd take the Fiesta or the Fit any day of the week over this.  A 4-speed auto in this day and age is laughable.  And lets face it - that is how the majority of these will be sold.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Sival

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:49 am »
Paul got this one bang on.  The Mazda2 looks inexpensive on the surface but add popular features like air and automatic and it's more expensive than the Fiesta (especially with Ford's current pricing).  Mazda typically offers 0% in the summer so that may offset it.

Quebec is the Mazda capital of Canada so I expect to see a ton of these in Ottawa / Montreal.

Going by the build & price feature of both Ford and Mazda, the Mazda 2 seems to be about 800$ cheaper than a similarly-equipped Fiesta hatchback if you ignore incentives. It all depends on what Mazda will offer.

One thing that might influence price in favor of the Fiesta is that it is made in Mexico whereas the Mazda 2 is made in Japan. The Japanese Yen is pretty strong recently, so that's not helping their exports much, whereas the Mexican Pesos has weakened versus the dollar.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 12:12:14 pm »
I'd take the Fiesta or the Fit any day of the week over this.  A 4-speed auto in this day and age is laughable.  And lets face it - that is how the majority of these will be sold.

Jaeger

Bingo. :iagree:

New Accent will slaughter this thing.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »

Jaeger

Bingo. :iagree:

New Accent will slaughter this thing.

By the time you load these up they will be encroaching  on 2011 Elantra territory, which is really bad news for the competition

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/elantra/2011/2011-hyundai-elantra-unveiled.html
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 04:31:07 pm »
good case sacrat ,
its an unfortunate trend , add on some features and you are paying compact car prices , the 11 elantra is a looker

but it's more than just the price these subcompacts can get to that puts me off them , but their performance as well .
fuel mileage is important but with things like this
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1048579_gm-still-pushing-for-performance-small-cars
or like the cruse maybe having the 260 hp ss motor dropped in ,
or even hyundais own upcoming 1.6 -200 hp being made -- its only a matter of time till subcompacts have some real go , now to me that sounds like fun , and worth waiting for , than to buy one of the current crop of subcompacts instead

Coast

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:28:17 pm »
I imagine Mazda will replace the 4 speed auto with a 5 shortly.  In the mean time it won't matter.  They will sell everyone they can bring in.  People who buy automatics in subcompacts are looking for basic transportation and I doubt most could tell the difference from a 4 sp to  5sp anyhow. 

Either way I think a lot will be equiped with manuals.  Judging by the high number of Mazda3s (and Fits) I see with manuals there are still a great number of people looking for fun to drive in small packages.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »

Jaeger
i agree...i drove a new well equipped Fiesta last weekend...while i was impressed with it (decent ride, 6sp twin clutch was cool, decent power for the class), i still had a hard time trying to "justify" paying $23k+ for the car (plus taxes)...yea, it had leather, A/C, push button start/keyless go, etc...but it just seemed like it was too expensive...i think the Fit is a tough small car to beat in terms of drive and value, and i am not a Honda fanboy...and i wasn't a big fan of the weird dash layout (where the controls are)...but you are right, a 4sp auto in this day and age is a joke, as is the 100HP engine...i mean, if you want to drive something low in power and gets decent fuel economy, at least a smart car is "different".
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »
Now the 2011 Mazda2 is officially out-dated.
It's okay we are only 3 years behind!

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/2/refreshed-mazda-2-diesel-mazda-5-to-debut-at-2010-paris-auto-show.html
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:35 pm »
Or are we actually getting this model from the get-go?  ::)
I am confused.