Author Topic: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1  (Read 82314 times)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »

Hmmmm...didn't hear a peep about BK....

Did Burger King take money from the Japanese government too?   ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:03 pm »
Yea...I'm excited to hear about that car, too!!

Have they decided if they will offer it with AWD??

Turbo+6 speed+AWD would be a very, very cool car.
it would have been exciting, if it had more than 220HP.

personally, i don't get it.

i think they would have been best to offer this car with a nice 3.0L V6 or perhaps even the nice 3.6L...the car would really do well with the extra power and with the tall gearing in a 6 sp auto, it would still get decent fuel economy...instead, you have an underpowered 2.4L I4 or an uninspiring 2.0L Turbo...i mean, where did they source that engine from, Saab?...why didn't they use the engine from the Solstice GXP?...it had about 270HP...that would have at least made it competitive...the Regal just seems like a Malibu in a nicer suit...nothing wrong with that, but i don't think it lives up to what it COULD have been.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »

i think they would have been best to offer this car with a nice 3.0L V6 or perhaps even the nice 3.6L...the car would really do well with the extra power and with the tall gearing in a 6 sp auto, it would still get decent fuel economy...instead, you have an underpowered 2.4L I4 or an uninspiring 2.0L Turbo...i mean, where did they source that engine from, Saab?...why didn't they use the engine from the Solstice GXP?...it had about 270HP...that would have at least made it competitive...the Regal just seems like a Malibu in a nicer suit...nothing wrong with that, but i don't think it lives up to what it COULD have been.

Unlike the non-turbo car, you'll be able to extract 270HP from this engine with ease.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2010, 09:07:07 pm »
Unlike the non-turbo car, you'll be able to extract 270HP from this engine with ease.
i know, they already did that in the Cobalt SS and the Solstice GXP...why didn't they put that engine in the Regal Turbo?

i mean, i think back to the Buick Regal Grand National with its turbo 3.8L (a buddy at work has one)...that car was bad ass...all black, fast and mean looking...it was awesome.

i don't see any of that "greatness" in the new Regal...is it a nice car??...of course it is, but so are many other cars, which offer more value.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »

And the number of people likely to "mod" their Buick is.... ??  ;D

If the turbo puts out 220hp and anywhere in the neighborhood of, say, 250 lb/ft of torque, I could be quite happy with this car in a stick.  To me, the big question is how it will price out when optioned out a bit. I have this sinking feeling they will be asking G37 money for it.  And for G37 money, I buy a G37, not a Regal.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2010, 08:22:50 am »
"It is a nice mid-sized sedan that performed well for its segment and pricing but does not stand out as a segment buster"

I sat in one at the Vancouver auto show and found as in it's close cousin the Malibu I had to duck my head getting in and out of the drivers seat.

The economy seems to be not as good as my Intrigue which has better highway figures and more headroom.

That being said I believe this car should sell well especially when the price becomes more attractive.

In the mean time I'll stick to my older cars which combined cost way less than one new Regal

For the Regal I saw in China last year

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4194683902/

My summer ride with better head room and economy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4911484003/

My winter ride with better room and economy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4256986670/

Equalizer

« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »
Post #15 for Jaegermeister in this thread. ::)

I think I'll go and post another 14 times in the Sonata thread.

:rofl:

No worries, the "Emperor" will post another 15 more, saying the same thing.

CatsEye68

« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2010, 04:56:04 pm »
Post #15 for Jaegermeister in this thread. ::)

I think I'll go and post another 14 times in the Sonata thread.

:rofl:

No worries, the "Emperor" will post another 15 more, saying the same thing.

I'm pretty sure he already has. I lost count at 30... ::)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »
Come on guys make it 200 posts.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Equalizer

« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »
We may be over exaggerating the reasons, pros and cons of retaining the Regal name.

It may be as simple as (a) the aging population average and the demographic coming closer to what traditionally Buick represents, therefore keep a familiar name regardless of past vehicles, (b) GM arrogance thinking the Regal name represents a past filled with the pinnacle of automotive excellence and customer appreciation   :rofl:  , (c) don't take a chance on change, leave the name alone and improve the car underneath it, (d) laziness.

GM in essence is asking us to forget the last thirty (30) years with its' Buick Brand, a hapless relic of a mindset that believed Detroit nameplate automakers could get away with foisting outclassed machinery on consumers too patriotic or dimwitted to look outside a Detroit nameplate.

Senior folks may still be attracted to the the Park Avenue and Roadmaster brand, I am afraid for the rest of us.  But the Regal/Opel clone with stiff suspension and firm seats is not to the typical liking to older folks.

Forgetting 30 years of unfulfilled promises labeled Buick Century, Reatta, Skylark and Lucerne is a tall order.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:52 pm »
We may be over exaggerating the reasons, pros and cons of retaining the Regal name.

It may be as simple as (a) the aging population average and the demographic coming closer to what traditionally Buick represents, therefore keep a familiar name regardless of past vehicles, (b) GM arrogance thinking the Regal name represents a past filled with the pinnacle of automotive excellence and customer appreciation   :rofl:  , (c) don't take a chance on change, leave the name alone and improve the car underneath it, (d) laziness.

GM in essence is asking us to forget the last thirty (30) years with its' Buick Brand, a hapless relic of a mindset that believed Detroit nameplate automakers could get away with foisting outclassed machinery on consumers too patriotic or dimwitted to look outside a Detroit nameplate.

Senior folks may still be attracted to the the Park Avenue and Roadmaster brand, I am afraid for the rest of us.  But the Regal/Opel clone with stiff suspension and firm seats is not to the typical liking to older folks.

Forgetting 30 years of unfulfilled promises labeled Buick Century, Reatta, Skylark and Lucerne is a tall order.

People forgot these:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »

People forgot these:

Yes they did..and Hyundai has never once named a new model "Pony" or "Stellar"

Hyundai has only been in the US since the 80s it hasn't ven been 30 years yet. In fact after only 18 years in the market they were tied with Honda for initial brand quality in a survey/study from J.D. Power and Associates.

Leviathan

« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »
Ah, yes, the "Stelwhore" as my friend called his  :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2010, 06:59:10 pm »

Hyundai has only been in the US since the 80s it hasn't ven been 30 years yet. In fact after only 18 years in the market they were tied with Honda for initial brand quality in a survey/study from J.D. Power and Associates.

The Stellar was replaced by the, you guessed it, Sonata! The first gen Sonata was only marginally better than the Stellar. I'd take a 1990 Century long before a 1990 Sonata.

Buick has done very well in J.D.Power's surveys for a long time.

Equalizer

« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2010, 02:08:35 am »
As we all know, the Buick Regal is a rebadged Opel Insignia.  Initially it was meant to be a Saturn Aura until GM's bankruptcy, once the Saturn door was closed, GM was forced to make it into a Buick.  Explains why GM would chose to saddle the car with the Buick "grandfathers" brand and the anemic Ecotech four banger.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:40 am »

The Stellar was replaced by the, you guessed it, Sonata! The first gen Sonata was only marginally better than the Stellar. I'd take a 1990 Century long before a 1990 Sonata.

Buick has done very well in J.D.Power's surveys for a long time.

I can remember people in our dealership using the line "It's  S'not a car....it's a Hyundai" when the first Sonata's came out. ;D  (and you're right, they had more in common with a Stellar than today's Sonata)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:21 am »
As we all know, the Buick Regal is a rebadged Opel Insignia.  Initially it was meant to be a Saturn Aura until GM's bankruptcy, once the Saturn door was closed, GM was forced to make it into a Buick.  Explains why GM would chose to saddle the car with the Buick "grandfathers" brand and the anemic Ecotech four banger.

Really? Why not name it the Buick Insignia or Buick Pinapple? There really was no requirment to use an exisiting Buick nameplate (why isn't the Lecross called the Century) All the other cars in their lineup have NEW never before used names.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2010, 07:15:05 am »

I can remember people in our dealership using the line "It's  S'not a car....it's a Hyundai" when the first Sonata's came out. ;D  (and you're right, they had more in common with a Stellar than today's Sonata)

I remember that...I thought it was 'cause the pre-Genesis pre-Tiburon coupe they had was called the Scoupe?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:18:05 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »
I'll apologize in advance for this interruption in the Hyundai love-fest.

IIHS Awards 2011 Buick Regal Top Safety Pick

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/30/iihs-awards-2011-buick-regal-top-safety-pick/

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2010, 03:44:45 pm »
I'll apologize in advance for this interruption in the Hyundai love-fest.

IIHS Awards 2011 Buick Regal Top Safety Pick

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/30/iihs-awards-2011-buick-regal-top-safety-pick/

The Regal joins its Buick sibling, the LaCrosse, along with the 2011 BMW 5 Series, Ford Taurus, Hyundai Genesis, Toyota Avalon and Volvo S80 as a Top Safety Pick in the large car segment.

I think "safety" is a relative term.  Like small, medium and large.