Author Topic: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1  (Read 82247 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »
diceman , you just said you hadn't driven the regal
http://but in a previous post you said  " i've driven them all ,have you ? "

so are you saying , i have driven all the midsize sedans ,- only
or were you simply lying

I was under the impression he was talking about the usual vanilla mid-size category...Camry, Accord, Malibu, Sonata, etc..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »

Since you bring it up... in that case, you must you bathe in Asian-flavored marinade each day and sleep under a blanket of seaweed.  :)

Well I do sleep with an Asian..... ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »
When you're trying to gain market share in a segment where you have had, essentially, zero representation in the contemporary context you better put your BEST foot forward right out of the gate.  Add grandpa's model later, but lead with an entry that has at least some credible hope of being accepted as at least a moderately sporty sedan.  This failure to grasp the obvious is, unfortunately, classic GM.  Eeven with a good product, they can find innovative ways to $%#@ things up.

Jaeger
honestly, i think it will only get worse when the Turbo comes out...for one, it is going to be $35k (+ whatever for the extras)...and it "only" has 220HP...that is almost 50 less than the Sonata turbo.

is the Regal a nice car?...absolutely, but like you (and a few others have said), in a time when many manufacturers are also making great products, i really don't see why anyone would get the Regal over a number of competitors...nothing against the Regal, i just don't see it "topping the charts"...if i am going to spend north of $35k on a car, i want something that gives me every feature i want, while meeting all my needs, from a company known to back their products should something go wrong.

and it isn't just us regular "folk" commenting on how good Hyundai products are...look at what others, who review cars for a living have to say:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/12/2011-buick-regal-vs-2011-hyundai-sonata-we-compare-the-specs.html
http://www.caranddriver.mobi/reviews/car/10q3/2011_buick_regal_cxl-road_test
http://www.caranddriver.mobi/reviews/comparisons/10q1/2010_honda_accord_ex_vs._2011_hyundai_sonata_se_2010_subaru_legacy_2.5i-comparison_tests
http://www.caranddriver.mobi/reviews/comparisons/10q2/buick_lacrosse_vs._ford_taurus_hyundai_genesis_lexus_es350-comparison_tests
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1008_2010_ford_taurus_limited_awd_vs_2011_toyota_avalon_limited_vs_2010_hyundai_genesis_3_8/index.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1007_2011_hyundai_sonata_turbo_drive/index.html
http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-gls-vs-2010-honda-accord-vs-2010-mazda-6-i-touring-comparison-test.html
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:01 am »
i think toolatecrew put it best ,sort of , when he said

This is why I question Buicks plan. My father actually quite liked the Regal when he drove it. Thought it was the right size, quiet etc. He's 70 years old. If you are trying to bring new younger buyers and change your image with a "Sporty" sedan why launch with a not sporty powetrain that appeals to 70 year olds (all due respect to my Dad but he's not a sporty guy). end quote

if buick put in a sporty engine , the 70 yr olds wouldn't want to buy it anymore .
and though buick would like to bring in new customers ,they don't want to loose their loyal older customers by -- giving it a new name or putting in powerful responsive engines the younger people want .
as toolatecrew put it , his dad isen't sporty , and he quite liked the regal when he drove it .

a 70 yr old might not appreciate a powerful responsive engine -- that's why the regal has the engine it has - its not a miss step at all on buicks part
- it's simply a failed marketing campaign thats all

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2010, 02:48:29 am »
i think toolatecrew put it best ,sort of , when he said

This is why I question Buicks plan. My father actually quite liked the Regal when he drove it. Thought it was the right size, quiet etc. He's 70 years old. If you are trying to bring new younger buyers and change your image with a "Sporty" sedan why launch with a not sporty powetrain that appeals to 70 year olds (all due respect to my Dad but he's not a sporty guy). end quote

if buick put in a sporty engine , the 70 yr olds wouldn't want to buy it anymore .
and though buick would like to bring in new customers ,they don't want to loose their loyal older customers by -- giving it a new name or putting in powerful responsive engines the younger people want .
as toolatecrew put it , his dad isen't sporty , and he quite liked the regal when he drove it .

a 70 yr old might not appreciate a powerful responsive engine -- that's why the regal has the engine it has - its not a miss step at all on buicks part
- it's simply a failed marketing campaign thats all

But I don't think it's neccesarily true.  My step-mom's uncle is in his early 70s.  And his last three cars have been Hyundai/Kias.  Does that mean, based on this case, that Hyundai's are old people cars?

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2010, 06:47:38 am »
Quote from: wing
The 2.4-litre engine works fine but there is nothing exciting to talk about here. It moves the car’s weight adequately but doesn’t feel peppy or eager in any way.

Thats certainly no slouch.  There is some hope James.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2010, 07:09:20 am »
Quote from: wing
The 2.4-litre engine works fine but there is nothing exciting to talk about here. It moves the car’s weight adequately but doesn’t feel peppy or eager in any way.

Thats certainly no slouch.  There is some hope James.

Wow, check out that front overhang.  :o  It's the '80s all over again.  :)  But for that it looks really good.  Here's hoping it has the go to back up the show.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

CatsEye68

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2010, 09:43:42 am »
Nope, not you.  They know who they are - and they are awfully quiet at the moment. 

Kind of hard to get a word in edgewise when you make a dozen posts in a thread to bash a car you had no chance of ever saying a good word about regardless of how good it is.  ::)

Awfully quiet? Not me. I drove a Regal last month and commented at the time about the engine. It is adequate in the context of the model being offered, the CXL, which is the luxo-version. It is not a sports car, never was intended to be one. We'll see what the next two introductions, the turbo and the GX, bring. In the meantime, I think we all know your views on this car, so maybe you can stop after a dozen posts, OK?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:45:43 am by CatsEye68 »

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:57 am »
Kind of hard to get a word in edgewise when you make a dozen posts in a thread to bash a car you had no chance of ever saying a good word about regardless of how good it is.  ::)

Awfully quiet? Not me. I drove a Regal last month and commented at the time about the engine. It is adequate in the context of the model being offered, the CXL, which is the luxo-version. It is not a sports car, never was intended to be one. We'll see what the next two introductions, the turbo and the GX, bring. In the meantime, I think we all know your views on this car, so maybe you can stop after a dozen posts, OK?

I figured you'd crawl out from under your bridge eventually.  Make sure you let James know he is "bashing" the Regal as well for pointing out its under-the-hood inadequacies, 'kay?  You and a few other rabid fanboys are about the only ones who seem to think this motor is anything but an underwhelming disappointment in a vehicle that is being promoted as a sports sedan, or at least a sporty sedan.  At present, it is neither.  Reality bites for you, doesn't it?

Let's see:

* Engine and transmission can't be deemed as sporty
* A real letdown compared to the good chassis
* Auto mode shifts slowly and manual mode is worse
* engine doesn't feel  peppy or eager in any way
* flat, unsupportive seats that doon't encourage spirited driving
* certainly doesn't feel like a sporty sedan

Hey, maybe James got it all wrong.  But I happen to think he got it all right.  Of course, I'm not much into the GM body butter cream that you literally wallow in.

Jaeger

diceman

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:41 am »
For those interested , the GS will be introduced in the 4th quarter of 2010.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2010, 12:20:21 pm »
For those interested , the GS will be introduced in the 4th quarter of 2010.

If GS = turbo that's good.  I won't be making a move before the fall and maybe not until next spring.  I only hope I can actually get a stick model to test drive.

Jaeger

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2010, 12:25:01 pm »
If you think James is the target for this car you are greatly mistaken
Is there any 35-50 ladies out there that could review this car?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:50:03 pm by airbalancer »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:50 pm »
I'm waiting for the turbo-4 cyl to come out soon. It's also offered in the Insignia overseas and somewhat popular, so hopefully that means it's a good step up from the mediocre 2,4 litre.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »
Well the other half drove the car wednesday to do the groceries.  Today we went to the mall got on the highway and was annoyed at the old lady doing 60 in front of me so I punch it to move over and get to 100 fast and say "Wow this thing is SLOW!"  And she says "Yes it is very slow, I felt like I was going to get hit from behind the other day when I tried to get out of the way of someone."

This is from a NEW driver that drives SLOW and at the speed limit, she thinks it's slow... OUCH.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »
Well the other half drove the car wednesday to do the groceries.  Today we went to the mall got on the highway and was annoyed at the old lady doing 60 in front of me so I punch it to move over and get to 100 fast and say "Wow this thing is SLOW!"  And she says "Yes it is very slow, I felt like I was going to get hit from behind the other day when I tried to get out of the way of someone."

This is from a NEW driver that drives SLOW and at the speed limit, she thinks it's slow... OUCH.

Please let her know that she better stop telling it like it is bashing the Regal.  :)  Cruising? Yes.  Passing? Not so much.

Jaeger

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »
rrocket  quote

But I don't think it's neccesarily true.  My step-mom's uncle is in his early 70s.  And his last three cars have been Hyundai/Kias.  Does that mean, based on this case, that Hyundai's are old people cars?

you are missing the point completely - those prev gen kia and hyundai had the older , less powerful and less reponsive engines perfectly suited to those folks
unless they owned the turbo genesis coupe or genesis sedan , did they ? no ,i didn't think so
does that clear it up for you ?
another thing -- you can get an old person to buy a young persons car , not saying the prev gen was , because it wasn't !  but you can't get a young person to buy an old persons car -- the previous gen kia and hyundai cars did absolutely nothing for me - they barely touched my radar  -- these up coming gen cars with new engines is a whole different ball game ,being more powerful and more responsive and better looking AND BETTER HANDLING 

the only hyundai i've ever liked was the 2nd gen tiburon , and that was for looks only , it was over weight , didn't handle as well as it could and was underpowered ,( might do your folks just fine )
look at the last elantra , what a femmy looking thing that was , with its 2 l motor putting out 132 hp while hondas 1.8 was putting out 140 . hyundai's new 1.6 alone is expected to put out 140 hp.
look at the old accent  110 hp from a 1.6 hondas 1.5 got more
people who bought the prev gen hyundais for the most part did so on price . these new cars ,people will buy them for reasons i've posted elsewhere

god do i hate lame arguments such as yours . next time , give your reply some thought first before posting it , so i don't have to waste my time stating the obvious 

i will no longer reply to lame arguments regarding my posts

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:00:48 pm by bikenut »

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »

god do i hate lame arguments such as yours . next time , give your reply some thought first before posting it , so i don't have to waste my time stating the obvious 

Coming from you, that is about the funniest damn thing I have read on the forums for a while.  :rofl:  Please don't feel the need to respond to my lame observation.  Better to use that time searching for the shift key.  ;D

Jaeger

CatsEye68

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2010, 07:53:47 pm »
Post #15 for Jaegermeister in this thread. ::)

I think I'll go and post another 14 times in the Sonata thread.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2010, 08:11:24 pm »
rrocket  quote

you are missing the point completely - those prev gen kia and hyundai had the older , less powerful and less reponsive engines perfectly suited to those folks
unless they owned the turbo genesis coupe or genesis sedan , did they ? no ,i didn't think so
does that clear it up for you ?
another thing -- you can get an old person to buy a young persons car , not saying the prev gen was , because it wasn't !  but you can't get a young person to buy an old persons car -- the previous gen kia and hyundai cars did absolutely nothing for me - they barely touched my radar  -- these up coming gen cars with new engines is a whole different ball game ,being more powerful and more responsive and better looking AND BETTER HANDLING 

the only hyundai i've ever liked was the 2nd gen tiburon , and that was for looks only , it was over weight , didn't handle as well as it could and was underpowered ,( might do your folks just fine )
look at the last elantra , what a femmy looking thing that was , with its 2 l motor putting out 132 hp while hondas 1.8 was putting out 140 . hyundai's new 1.6 alone is expected to put out 140 hp.
look at the old accent  110 hp from a 1.6 hondas 1.5 got more
people who bought the prev gen hyundais for the most part did so on price . these new cars ,people will buy them for reasons i've posted elsewhere

I suppose the purpose of the internet is to be obnoxious, argumentative, and incapable of listening. Especially when incapable of paying attention to one's elders when experience is clearly lacking. And this post proves it. Especially, as seems to be your trademark, your final paragraphs filled with insults. I'll explain, and add a dose of mine right back at you. Only because you earned it, repeatedly.

I'm following along with your train of thought, and yes, listening. Then I come across this comment about liking a Tiburon. A TIBURON!!! What an oracle of knowledge and experience, I tell you. Oh the very next sentence tries to backpedal away from this declaration of this only being visual love by stating a bunch of negative things, knowing that pretty much everybody here with serious vehicle experience will be laughing hilariously by this point, but its too late. All credibility is lost.

Why? Because the poster didn't take his own advice, "give your reply some thought before posting it" !

Oh, another thing. this thread is about the Buick Regal. Confine your self to the topic and stop being one of the most despicable things found in forums after a troll, that being a thread hijacker. And no, I didn't give this reply any thought whatsoever before posting it, because it would be my time being wasted and nobody will pay me. Besides, I'm tired of people insulting old people like me. The end.  :rofl2:       

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2010, 08:30:58 pm »
Post #15 for Jaegermeister in this thread. ::)

I think I'll go and post another 14 times in the Sonata thread.

That's a good little pet troll - keep counting - but do try to come up with something on topic occasionally.  ;)

Jaeger