Author Topic: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1  (Read 82378 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »

An American car built in Germany? That's novel, but it's what's for dinner this week, as James takes the wheel of the 2011 Buick Regal, a mid-sized sedan that is actually getting enthusiasts excited. James happens to be smack in the middle of Buick's target age range, so stick around to see how it handles his daily grind.
Read More...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:16 pm »
Nice to see this in the test fleet already. Will be interesting to see what James thinks of it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:42 pm »
i have a question for Canadian Driver...one thing i really like about "Car & Driver" is the "comparison tests" they often do...yes, some of them are just plain silly and for fun, but are always entertaining and can still be informative...for example, it would be interesting to gather some of the regular writers and compare several different vehicles in a "back to back" scenario and each would report on their likes, dislikes, opinions, etc...for example, since this new Buick is $31,990, i would be curious how it compares to a Hyundai Sonata Limited w Nav, which is $1000 LESS.

just thought i would chime in with recommendation...besides, i'm sure you wouldn't mind doing a Camaro SS/Mustang GT/Challenger RT comparo, would you?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:04:34 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:00 pm »
quick question...does this 2.4L use a timing chain?

i kid, i kid. ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:25:16 pm »
jeffer I did that very comparo last year!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/11/02/feature-fall-muscle-car-challenge-camaro-ss-vs-challenger-rt-vs-mustang-gt.htm
hey, i forgot about that one...sweet.

well, since the Mustang has the 5.0L back, time to bring all three back for round two, no? ;)

vdk

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:25 am »
quick question...does this 2.4L use a timing chain?

i kid, i kid. ;D

Beat me to it.  :-*

They should've given you a black one. :drool:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:36:29 am by vdk »

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 07:14:23 am »
Test drove a Regal outfitted with navi and sunroof Saturday at a GM event held at the Fairview shopping center in Pointe-Claire.  Listed at 40K...

Exterior and interior of the car are great.  Texture, materials, seats all good on this short road test but didn't have time to learn the too many buttons on the center console!  In fact the quality of the Regal interior rivaled that of the 55K CTS4 I drove right after.  Except for the engine and transmission, they felt surprisingly similar on the street.  The Buick transmission was softer shifting than the Caddy's but the latter would get in a higher gear too fast unless you lay into the throttle.

Good cars but overpriced.  GM needs to address their pricing strategy or continue to offer massive incentives to move the metal.

I'd love to see a comparison between a loaded 40K Regal and the 31K loaded Sonata Limited with Navi...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 07:26:00 am »
Good cars but overpriced.  GM needs to address their pricing strategy or continue to offer massive incentives to move the metal.

I'd love to see a comparison between a loaded 40K Regal and the 31K loaded Sonata Limited with Navi...

OK...let`s add the TSX to that comparison as well then.

Calvin

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:06:26 am »
I'd definitely be up for a comparison to the Sonata too.  I don't think the Buick will equal it's mpg though. 

We were in Polo Park Mall in Winnipeg on the weekend and they had a white one sitting in the hall.  I gotta say, that's one pretty car, sure looks better than the Hyundai, or most of the cars out there. (Accord?  Ick...)  And I'm probably the target demographic?  Not sure, early 40's 2 kids, dog etc.  So I sat in it and was impressed.  Nice.  Had the seat exactly where I'd like it.  Then I called my 14 yr old over, he's already 5'10", told him to sit in the seat behind me (his standard seat for 14 years), see how it fits.  And crap, there's the deal breaker.  His knees were against the seat, and his head was squarely against the headliner. He'd have to duck permanently to fit.  So much for love...oh well, it's too much $ for too little power anyway.  That 2010 Fusion Sport with its square roof line, lower price, AWD and almost 100 more hp looks pretty good.  Plus the dealer just knocked $6g off the sticker, so it's a smokin' deal...

Funny too, lots of Chinese people hovernig around the car.  After all, it was designed for their market more specifically, wasn't it?  At least they'll fit.  Lucky...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
i have a question for Canadian Driver...one thing i really like about "Car & Driver" is the "comparison tests" they often do...yes, some of them are just plain silly and for fun, but are always entertaining and can still be informative...for example, it would be interesting to gather some of the regular writers and compare several different vehicles in a "back to back" scenario and each would report on their likes, dislikes, opinions, etc...for example, since this new Buick is $31,990, i would be curious how it compares to a Hyundai Sonata Limited w Nav, which is exactly the same price.

Didn't you get the memo?  You CAN'T compare it to the Sonata because GM SAYS it competes against the TSX.  :rofl:

This vehicle shows a lot of promise, but unfortunately it gets squeezed by the competition both above and below.  In its normally aspirated form, it bests the Sonata in interior quality and ride comfort, but loses out it power, interior space, cargo space and fuel economy.  And it loses out BIG time in price.  The turbo model will address the power deficiency (though it will still be eclipsed by the upcoming Sonata turbo) - but pricing is likely to push it into G37 territory by the time you add a few options.  And now the upcoming G25 will take a kick at its midsection.

This is a pretty nice car, but it's not playing a strong value hand, IMHO.  I have a hard time seeing where it fits in competitively. Traditional Buick buyers will gravitate toward the better looking and more luxurious (and powerful) LaCrosse.  They say they want to attract new, younger (they sure couldn't hope for older) buyers, but import / enthusiast intenders aren't going to be terribly impressed with the anemic power / weight ratio of the normally aspirated model, and in turbo form, it doesn't offer any real price incentive for those buyers to forego some more established competitors.

Anyway, looking forward to James' driving impressions to compare with my own.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:54:47 am »
I saw one yesterday with dealer plates on the road. It seemed tall and narrow to me. While the overall design looked fine, it seemed a bit conservative and maybe even approaching the  bland territory. There was nothing offensive about it, but it just doesn't imprint in your mind, like a G37 or a 3 series, or any Merc does. Honestly, if it was a brand-blind test, I'd pick a 2011 Sonata in black over it any time.
P.S. What's the deal with so many Sonatas in grey out there, the better ones all sold in US?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:03:09 am »
P.S. What's the deal with so many Sonatas in grey out there, the better ones all sold in US?

Try and find a 911 in anything but silver or grey in Canada for sale and you`ll find you`ve got a job on your hands.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:04:06 am »
I'd definitely be up for a comparison to the Sonata too.  I don't think the Buick will equal it's mpg though. 

We were in Polo Park Mall in Winnipeg on the weekend and they had a white one sitting in the hall.  I gotta say, that's one pretty car, sure looks better than the Hyundai, or most of the cars out there. (Accord?  Ick...)  And I'm probably the target demographic?  Not sure, early 40's 2 kids, dog etc.  So I sat in it and was impressed.  Nice.  Had the seat exactly where I'd like it.  Then I called my 14 yr old over, he's already 5'10", told him to sit in the seat behind me (his standard seat for 14 years), see how it fits.  And crap, there's the deal breaker.  His knees were against the seat, and his head was squarely against the headliner. He'd have to duck permanently to fit.  So much for love...oh well, it's too much $ for too little power anyway.  That 2010 Fusion Sport with its square roof line, lower price, AWD and almost 100 more hp looks pretty good.  Plus the dealer just knocked $6g off the sticker, so it's a smokin' deal...

Funny too, lots of Chinese people hovernig around the car.  After all, it was designed for their market more specifically, wasn't it?  At least they'll fit.  Lucky...

A 3 way comparison (Regal, Sonata, and Fusion) would be sweet. A friend is driving a Fusion  Se (4 cyl ) and is loving it (the mileage big time).    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:10:37 am »
I saw one yesterday with dealer plates on the road. It seemed tall and narrow to me. While the overall design looked fine, it seemed a bit conservative and maybe even approaching the  bland territory. There was nothing offensive about it, but it just doesn't imprint in your mind, like a G37 or a 3 series, or any Merc does. Honestly, if it was a brand-blind test, I'd pick a 2011 Sonata in black over it any time.

I agree.  Though my impression was that it had a pretty wide stance.  The thing I liked least about it from an aesthetic standpoint was the long front overhang - something far more noticeable in person than in pics.

Jaeger

aknutson

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 12:28:05 pm »
My first impression of the interior is a thoughtless mash of buttons on the console - the entire thing is filled with buttons, seemingly devoid of a coherent pattern or style. I find new Acura's are similar, making you opt for the Navigation to get a clean, uncluttered dash layout. How is it a BMW or Mercedes-Benz interior looks so clean sans-nav, yet this Buick appears so oversaturated with buttons? Does the Buick really have that many more gizmos, or has GM just not figured out multi-function controls?

Criticism aside, the dark trim looks good, as do the chrome-trimmed gauges. The steering wheel looks invitingly meaty, which is a nice change on a GM entry-lux sedan. I find the exterior very appealing, smooth lines that aren't in-your-face, understated one might say. What really matters is the drive, and I imagine that will be where the Germanic roots become apparent - let's just hope Buick hasn't lost their reputation for smoothness in the process.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 01:16:18 pm »
What really matters is the drive, and I imagine that will be where the Germanic roots become apparent - let's just hope Buick hasn't lost their reputation for smoothness in the process.

Chassis - yes.  Powertrain.... not so much.

Jaeger

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 05:20:58 pm »
And now for something completely different: an American car built in… Germany?

It just a re-badged Vauxhall/Opel Insignia it's been around since 2008 and was a replacement for the Vectra. Next year Insignia/regal will be built in Canada. Only this year will be the German versions.  The Chinese can't get enough of these cars GM has sold buckets loads over there.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »
I saw one while walking around in the neighborhood, to me it "stood out" in an attractive way, as in, had to see what it was. It doesn't seem as long as I expected, but is higher/bulkier in appearance. Bottom line (visually), a very attractive car, both inside and out.

However price wise, its already "obsolete". Plain and simple, whatever variant you look at. Make sure you add on other's standard features when comparing. Especially considering that I would need the (relatively anemic spec', in comparison) turbo model. So, would I trade my Audi? NO.

Look, its the same old GM. Their outrageous IPO (invest your retirement savings in.... Opel?). Pricing of.....Buicks. Its all too.....delusional. "Better times are right around the corner" so their executives say! We are better and superior and can therefore price higher! Oh pleeze, stop the noise. Bottom line. The turbo manual, fully equipped, needs to be $ 34k. If GM can't do that, then default on the game and please just LEAVE with your marketing nonsense so we don't have to listen!