Author Topic: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1  (Read 82246 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: 2011 Buick Regal CXL; Day 1
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »
The Taurus starts at $48k unless it's discounted now and it is a huge car, bigger that I typically get.
the Taurus is larger, yes, but it doesn't "start at $48k"...it's $43,100 fully loaded (it comes loaded, there aren't really any options available other than perhaps fancy floor mats or other silly little items).

so, you can get a loaded up 220HP Buick Regal Turbo "Sports Sedan", or a 365 HP, AWD Ford Taurus SHO Sports Sedan for about $43k...the Taurus has 145 more HP, about 100 ft pounds more torque, is larger, has AWD for the same price...hmmmm.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2010, 04:00:19 pm »
MSRP for Taurus SHO is $48K. Currently is has about $8000 in incentives.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2010, 08:21:07 pm »
MSRP for Taurus SHO is $48K. Currently is has about $8000 in incentives.
ok, i see what you mean now (i never went to the very end screen where it details the price for you).

either way, it doesn't matter...i posted the prices of all the vehicles based on "if you bought them right now".

a Taurus SHO for $43k is actually a pretty good deal (too big for me, but i do like that car).

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:08 pm »
In the end, all that matters is for this vehicle to sell and sell realitively well.  The Ontario and Federal taxpayers have sunk 8 some odd BILLION BORROWED $$$ to float this manufacturer so another GM turkey is NOT AN OPTION.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2010, 01:07:45 am »
In the end, all that matters is for this vehicle to sell and sell realitively well.  The Ontario and Federal taxpayers have sunk 8 some odd BILLION BORROWED $$$ to float this manufacturer so another GM turkey is NOT AN OPTION.
IIRC, GM has already paid us back the money, or at least some of it...if it hasn't all been paid back yet, it very well could be after their IPO.

diceman

« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2010, 08:41:41 am »
Drove this car and it is only hampered by the motor. GM has a new 2.5 litre coming out that I'm sure will replace the 2.4 as the base motor.Also, how does anybody know what the price point of the turbo will be? When production moves to Oshawa their will be more models available at lower price points than what is curently available. After driving the Regalall I can say is it is a beautiful, tight, well built car looking for a better base motor.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:41 am »
Drove this car and it is only hampered by the motor. GM has a new 2.5 litre coming out that I'm sure will replace the 2.4 as the base motor.Also, how does anybody know what the price point of the turbo will be? When production moves to Oshawa their will be more models available at lower price points than what is curently available. After driving the Regalall I can say is it is a beautiful, tight, well built car looking for a better base motor.

All points well taken.  For some reason, when I point out the shortcomings of the motor it is perceived as highly controversial - never mind that the review said the same thing.  ::)  A very good chassis in want of an equally good motor sums it up nicely.

You're right that exact pricing on the Turbo isn't known with any certainty yet.  That's why my comments have been along the lines of - at "x" price is has a competitive chance, but at "y" price it has problems.

And on the Ford Bloatus - defiitely not my kind of ride as it is so freakin' huge it looks like a school bus wearing a sedan disguise.  But that said, it brings some serious performance and luxury at $40k.  Which serves to underscore the importance of aggresive pricing as a means of gaining market share.  It would be better for GM to play a very aggressive value hand with the Turbo right out of the gate, rather than to price it high then offer deep discounts 6 months later.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2010, 11:51:23 am »
Also, how does anybody know what the price point of the turbo will be?
easily...go to the GM Canada website and build one...starts at $35k and tops out at $43k...like the Caddy's, there are no real "deals" on the Regal (NA or Turbo) because it's brand new.

diceman

« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »
Also, how does anybody know what the price point of the turbo will be?
easily...go to the GM Canada website and build one...starts at $35k and tops out at $43k...like the Caddy's, there are no real "deals" on the Regal (NA or Turbo) because it's brand new.

Thanks, I didn't realize they had the turbo prices listed.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2010, 02:45:25 pm »
I saw a Regal on the road today, first one.  Looks ok I guess. If it is a German car under the skin why do the big brains at GM insist on giving it red rear indicators not the original amber. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2010, 04:51:31 pm »
If it is a German car under the skin why do the big brains at GM insist on giving it red rear indicators not the original amber. 
it is a North American thing...i hate it too...a lot of Euro versions of cars have the amber turn signals over there, but the versions here are all red...it drives me nuts.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »
one car we didn't have in the "comparo" was the Ford Fusion Sport...it's $33k right now...12 speaker, 390 watt Sony audio system, 3.5L V6 with 263 HP and 249 ft pounds of torque, leather and premium interior trim package, AWD and it won car of the year recently...even without the "deals", it is about $38 which is on par with the Turbo in terms of pricing, but still offers more power and more features.

the Regal is nice...it is just far too expensive.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »
one car we didn't have in the "comparo" was the Ford Fusion Sport...it's $33k right now...12 speaker, 390 watt Sony audio system, 3.5L V6 with 263 HP and 249 ft pounds of torque, leather and premium interior trim package, AWD and it won car of the year recently...even without the "deals", it is about $38 which is on par with the Turbo in terms of pricing, but still offers more power and more features.

As much as I like the Fusion, and I really do like it, the first things that come to mind with the Sport are weight, fuel economy and lack of a manual gearbox. There is a penalty for the AWD system, it robs about 15% of power and a similar amount in fuel economy over what a similar drivetrain in a FWD.

As far as the continued ad hominems from our resident Don Garlits, I'd just like to remind him that my bike hits 60 in 3.5 seconds,  the 1/4 mile in 11.9 @ 115mph. I've had my knee down, while hanging off, at 120+ and he doesn't have a thing to teach me about turn of speed.

For some people performance is about more than straight line speed. Obviously his preference for the Avalon shows that he isn't one of those kinds of people.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2010, 05:42:23 pm »

All points well taken.  For some reason, when I point out the shortcomings of the motor it is perceived as highly controversial - never mind that the review said the same thing.  ::)  A very good chassis in want of an equally good motor sums it up nicely.

Jaeger

Grandpa, just be happy Buick makes a car for you - it's here now and ready for your sleepy Sunday cruise.  It won't EVER snap your head back and sprain your fragile neck. Buy one, it'll make you happy and make them happy. They have a model coming out that should appeal a bit more to actual enthusiasts - capable handling and enough motor to get out of its own way.  Don't hate us because we like that one better.

Jaeger

No, that isn't the problem at all. If you had stated that in your opinion it was underpowered, I'd disagree, but wouldn't have any issue with it. What you have done repeatedly is berate people who disagree with your opinion, as if you and you alone were the sole arbiter of such things. Your pompous arrogance is what I, and others, object to.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:47:06 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2010, 06:40:46 pm »
Just a recap from the article:

Quote from: CD Review
I’m not sure how this engine and transmission combination can be deemed sporty, though. It really is a letdown compared to what seems like a really well-done chassis.

For the benefit of obtuse dmbasses, I didn't see James qualify his every observation by stating that it was "only his opinion".  So I suppose two possibilities flow from that: 1) the fact that it is his opinion is something that would be readily inferred by anyone who is not an obtuse dumbass, or 2) he is "pompous and arrogant".

I vote "1".  ;D

Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2010, 07:07:37 pm »
Just a recap from the article:

Quote from: CD Review
I’m not sure how this engine and transmission combination can be deemed sporty, though. It really is a letdown compared to what seems like a really well-done chassis.

For the benefit of obtuse dmbasses, I didn't see James qualify his every observation by stating that it was "only his opinion".  So I suppose two possibilities flow from that: 1) the fact that it is his opinion is something that would be readily inferred by anyone who is not an obtuse dumbass, or 2) he is "pompous and arrogant".

I vote "1".  ;D

Jaeger

Again with the ad hominem. If you can't win on merit, I suppose that's one of the few tools left.

James writes reviews, obviously it's his opinion, it's in the title. He also isn't in the habit of attacking people who disagree.

The Jetta TDi Cup Edition is a pretty sport ride, even though its 0-60 is about the same as the base Regal. The Volvo S40 2.4i is slower, I'd suggest that it is still on the sporty side of the spectrum.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

The Fusion Sport is a seriously nice ride.  Lots of competition from lots of places.

Warning - what follows is yet another commentary on the slowness of the Regal that doesn't contain and "it's only my wife's opnion" disclaimers - deary me!

Well the other half drove the car wednesday to do the groceries.  Today we went to the mall got on the highway and was annoyed at the old lady doing 60 in front of me so I punch it to move over and get to 100 fast and say "Wow this thing is SLOW!"  And she says "Yes it is very slow, I felt like I was going to get hit from behind the other day when I tried to get out of the way of someone."

This is from a NEW driver that drives SLOW and at the speed limit, she thinks it's slow... OUCH.

Some see pompous arrogance.  I see the sad truth.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:21:55 pm by Jaeger »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2010, 07:38:05 pm »

Warning - what follows is yet another commentary on the slowness of the Regal that doesn't contain and "it's only my wife's opnion" disclaimers - deary me!

Well the other half drove the car wednesday to do the groceries.  Today we went to the mall got on the highway and was annoyed at the old lady doing 60 in front of me so I punch it to move over and get to 100 fast and say "Wow this thing is SLOW!"  And she says "Yes it is very slow, I felt like I was going to get hit from behind the other day when I tried to get out of the way of someone."

This is from a NEW driver that drives SLOW and at the speed limit, she thinks it's slow... OUCH.

Some see pompous arrogance.  I see the sad truth.

Jaeger

And now with ridicule, how very droll. ::)

I don't have any issue with her saying that, at all, never did. I do have a major issue with you denigrating others for not agreeing with YOU. That's where the pompous arrogance comes in.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:40:00 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Truth bet told

« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »
I saw a Regal on the road today, first one.  Looks ok I guess. If it is a German car under the skin why do the big brains at GM insist on giving it red rear indicators not the original amber. 

I have seen two on the highway, two observations;
1-It looks so much like the discontinued saturn aura, makes you wonder why GM overpriced the buick when in essence, it is just a rebadged version of the aura.
2-Both buick drivers were at least over 65 years old, one was driving 35 km under the speed limit, on the fast lane with the left turn signal on.

I can't see why people care so much about the Grampa buick, when nobody cared enough for the saturn, IMO.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2010, 08:21:12 pm »

Lordy, the Turbo can't get here fast enough.  The slappies are very unhappy.  I promise I'll say nice things, 'cause I think I'm going to like the non-Grampy version.

Jaeger