Author Topic: Steering You Right: Cat and mouse  (Read 7074 times)

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Steering You Right: Cat and mouse
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 12:47:09 pm »
I’m convinced proper lane discipline is a huge part of the reason why Germany’s fatality rate is so good

ever seen signs like -- keep right except to pass    or -- slower traffic keep right , people who deregard these signs and doodle along in the left lane cause problems
these signs are there for a reason ,  so as not to impede the flow of traffic
 --but instead people are forced to pass on the inside lane because these morons refuse to change to the right lane and stay there ! --  as they chat on their cell phones 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:33:13 pm by bikenut »

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 02:04:47 pm »
Embeed?? ??? ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »
oops -- impede
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:44:01 pm by bikenut »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 03:08:20 pm »
In eastern Ontario on the 401 most people do drive in the right lane, except in summer and weekends when you have the big city slickers on the road screwing up everything ;D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »
In eastern Ontario on the 401 most people do drive in the right lane, except in summer and weekends when you have the big city slickers on the road screwing up everything ;D

401 is usually pretty reasonable, I agree. My biggest pet peeve is not cars but big-rigs passing on sections where the highway is only four lanes. IMO trucks need to be legislated to the right lane unless the highway is 6+ lanes...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »

401 is usually pretty reasonable, I agree. My biggest pet peeve is not cars but big-rigs passing on sections where the highway is only four lanes. IMO trucks need to be legislated to the right lane unless the highway is 6+ lanes...

When there are only 2 lanes (direction of travel) most people will drive in the right lane and if not they will usually move over after you give them a FTP.

As soon as you add a 3rd lane people tend to move to the middle lane. I really believe that they just feel more comfortable there even if there isn't any traffic. These same people will walk in the middle of a sidewalk, grocery isle or what ever space they are in. That is my unscientific study funded by nobody.

As to the trucks, I have to agree. So many times I've been stuck behind one truck going 105kph while trying to pass another truck going 103kph.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »
you guys certainly have it better back east , when the highway switches to 3 lanes here , there is no problem passing because you have options . (all rush hour traffic has been excluded )
i don't know if its our newly wed ,nearly dead rep in victoria that is the problem , but i know i delight each time i go to vancouver , where they drive much deferently

mikemcm

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:29 am »
I just came back from a trip to Whitby from Ottawa and noticed a few things as it's been a while since I've been down the 401 to Toronto. I think you have to go on the assumption that everyone is distracted by cell phones. Any time I saw someone doing something unsafe they were on a cell phone (usually texting).
Also if people would speed up a bit to pass someone quickly, rather than pass going 1km faster it would help immensely.
I'm a firm believer in passing and then moving to the right lane but I tried that a few times in a line of cars and nobody would let me back in to pass the next time. I had to stay in the left lane until the person passing 1km faster would finish.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 05:04:26 pm »
mikecm - i know ,it's pathetic on passing .

i can always spot a cell phone user from behind -- they are always driving slower than the rest of traffic around them when they are on the phone , as i glare at them when i pass them i confirm this
i credit the odd guy , that has pulled off the road and is talking on his cell phone
--- its illegal in bc to talk on hand held cells now , same with texting -- killing too many teenagers here

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 05:58:12 pm »
mikecm - i know ,it's pathetic on passing .

i can always spot a cell phone user from behind -- they are always driving slower than the rest of traffic around them when they are on the phone , as i glare at them when i pass them i confirm this
i credit the odd guy , that has pulled off the road and is talking on his cell phone
--- its illegal in bc to talk on hand held cells now , same with texting -- killing too many teenagers here
It's illegal here in Ontario, too.  Doesn't prevent people from doing it though. 

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 06:12:57 pm »
angry chicken , this is where darwins theory of natural selection comes into play -- thinning of the herd