Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD/GMC Sierra HD  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD/GMC Sierra HD
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:06:05 am »

"Stronger, tougher, more comfortable and more fuel-efficient," the new 2011 Chevrolet and GMC HD pickups have impressive towing and hauling capabilities, reports Grant Yoxon. But when comparing Ford trucks, "buyers shouldn't get caught up in the numbers game," he advises.

Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD/GMC Sierra HD
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:03:35 am »
A real truck :)  CR top rated, can't go wrong.

Eric Green

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:40:52 pm »
Why can't GM build this level of utter competence into something the size of a HiLux or Frontier or Euro Ranger with a small turbo-diesel and MT, like is found throughout the rest of the planet? Four doors; a ton of capacity; a million km duty cycle.

/I know, I know: fat-arsed North Americans demanding the biggest, easiest-driving "thing" for the buck ::)
/Silverado owner here, but do I really need 245BHP/300+tq in a 3ton truck?

Ynnos

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:32 pm »
Eric Green - Whoa, wait just a minute here, we north Americans would love the same thing as you. We'd love a smaller pickup with turbo diesel too. I don't know why GM doesn't build a well built smaller pickup that's dependable, reliable, and economical. However, there is no reason to call us fat arsed. We're as frustrated as you are.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:52:47 pm »
Gentlemen, Eric and Ynnos

I suspect that a small truck, like the famous Toyota that Top Gear tried to destroy would not be economical to build in America.  as for imports, AFAIK the US government still has the very high tariff on such trucks that it introduced way back in the '80s (?) or '70s. ( I believe that there is a some weird thing that the Ford Transit Connect is actually imported with seats in the back so it can be called a CUV for that reason)
So a small truck might have to priced too high if built somewhere else... I don't know if the NAFTA agreement covers trucks.

Secondly, in the size range we are talking about, the EPA REALLY HATES DIESELS hence the lack of diesels available except from VW, BMW, MB and the huge things put in full size trucks.

For all that, it should be possible for, say, Toyota, to build their famous truck in Ontario with a good solid 2.5l 4 cyl gas engine from the Camry tuned for truck use with a reliable 5 speed or automatic at a reasonable price.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

aknutson

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:06 pm »
For all that, it should be possible for, say, Toyota, to build their famous truck in Ontario with a good solid 2.5l 4 cyl gas engine from the Camry tuned for truck use with a reliable 5 speed or automatic at a reasonable price.

Maybe use Ford's 'ecoboost' theory for some low-end grunt, it has worked for VW/Audi in the past, albeit on cars not trucks.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:16:48 pm »

Maybe use Ford's 'ecoboost' theory for some low-end grunt, it has worked for VW/Audi in the past, albeit on cars not trucks.
Indeed but simplicity is a good thing in a truck of any size. Nice iron engine, no Direct Injection, no variable camshafts maybe even good old pushrods, lotsa torque low down, low rev limit. As Eric Green said   Million km duty cycle  and to me that means:  Real brass radiator with long-life coolant, none of this mixed plastic and alloy rubbish. Iron head and block, 4 cylinders, stainless steel exhaust ideally. Simple suspension and so on. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:51:02 pm by tpl »