Author Topic: 2011 Ford Fiesta SES; Day 1  (Read 39976 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Ford Fiesta SES; Day 1
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2010, 10:01:58 pm »

a toyota mechanic told me years ago the celica , many gens ago ,had timing chain failures till they switched to a double chain design
regardless , i think chains are better too

Yup, and Mazda too. My old GLC's single-row timing chain stretched and jumped the sprocket one morning when I tried to start it. Mazda replaced it with a double-row chain under a 'secret' warranty long after the original warranty expired. They even paid to have the car towed 30 miles to the nearest dealer.  :o

I suppose even modern timing chains can fail, but I agree they're still better than belts.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

canuck901

« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2010, 10:44:29 pm »

better then a honda fit??? not the 2009-10 or 11 model FIT.
Made in Japan (Honda FIT) vs Made in Mexico (ford Fiesta)  The Ford Fiesta is made in Mexico and its cheap fit and finish shows.
this car  may look great new, but in a few yrs, it will definitely not be as sturdy and reliable as a Honda fit which was 2009 compact car of the year.

The European Fiesta would have been the car to bring here, not a cheap down version made in Mexico.

and yes I have driven both and bought a 2010 Honda fit sport!

Fair enough.  Just two points I'd like to make about this:

1.  Honda and Toyota build some of its cars in Thailand.  Sound like Mexico?
2.  Most of the work is done via machines now anyways.

There's a "J" at the beginning of the serial number, meaning its made in Japan.  At the present time the Honda fit is the only Honda car Made in Japan.

Made in Mexico vehicles have been poor quality,

ford has made a nice cheaper competitor to the Honda FIT, but i would  say the FIT is the coolest compact car out on the market, right now.
The US Honda Fit sport gets Standard TPMS, Paddle shifters and Navigation option!  Why are these not available in Canada? Always seems Canada gets shafted on Vehicle options!

The mid-sized car with the highest reliability ratings from Consumer Reports is the Ford Fusion, which is "Hecho en Mexico".

A few years ago I looked up the country of origin for VW models, there was absolutely no correlation between reliability and whether it was made in Mexico or Germany.

i wouldn't buy a vehicle made in Mexico, i would take Japanese made anyday.
I looked at both the 2010 honda fit sport and a 2011 fiesta and I bought the fIt sport, more cargo, nicer interior and Honda reliability.
If anyone else thinks the fiesta is better, get serious, its so not, maybe the price ala made in Mexico.... :D

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »
Is it really any wonder that the Fit and Fiesta are considered the best of this class when they are both the 2 most expensive models.  I don't "get" premium subcompact cars like this when the idea behind them is economy and value.   A Mazda2 is a much better value and has most of the same qualities as the Fiesta (same platform) albeit with a weaker engine and only a 4 spd. auto.
Its the difference between price and value.

As for the 4 speed auto in the Mazda 2. I'd suspect all three, Fit, Fiesta and Mazda were designed to be at their best with a manual transmission and, for the Fit anyway, smaller engines. 

From some reviews that I've read on the Fiesta already, they've recommended the auto over the stick because the gear ratios get the most out of both accel. and fuel econ.  And I'm pretty sure that on the Fit, the auto gets better highway mileage too, because the revs are kept much lower.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2010, 11:39:17 pm »
I'd be careful about writing off the manual transmission. I found it to be very easy to drive, even if the gear ratios were a bit "off" at times. By buying a manual transmission, you're telling Ford that they should at least make it available. It's not like the MT is dreadful, and if no one buys the MT then in a few years, I bet Ford will drop it. That would be a BAD thing.

Plus, I'm not convinced of the reliability of the new DCT transmission. It's Ford's first dry clutch dual-clutch, want to bet there are going to be service bulletins?

I would buy the Fiesta if they sold the ECOnetic model with the 1,6 diesel.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:42:17 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:04 pm »
I looked at both the 2010 honda fit sport and a 2011 fiesta and I bought the fIt sport, more cargo, nicer interior and Honda reliability.
If anyone else thinks the fiesta is better, get serious, its so not, maybe the price ala made in Mexico.... :D

Oh, so it's simple bigotry. Welp, can't argue with that.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2010, 02:05:54 am »

^^ +10. Just so canuck901 knows, I drive a made-in-Mexico Nissan Versa. After 3 years, it's still as solid as a rock, no squeaks, no rattles and no problems. None.
 I don't use it much, but I think that ignore button might be useful again...  ::)

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2010, 04:19:16 am »
I've seen and sat in these puppies.. up close and personal while in Italy last summer

they are gorgeous.

best ford in a LONG time.. this car will sell

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2010, 05:59:20 am »
Needs to change his name to Timing Chain Troll.

:notroll:

It time to ban the troll until he signs up

Maybe he's really the CEO of the Acme Timing Chain Company in disguise.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2010, 06:07:41 am »

^^ +10. Just so canuck901 knows, I drive a made-in-Mexico Nissan Versa. After 3 years, it's still as solid as a rock, no squeaks, no rattles and no problems. None.
 I don't use it much, but I think that ignore button might be useful again...  ::)

I'm seeing lots of "Fit vs Fiesta" discussion here but not a lot about where the Nissan Versa ranks in the mix. Versa seems to offer a ton of room,decent power and equipment, and Nissan is offering 1.9% lease and 0% finance rates versus Ford's 9.99% and 6.99%. What do you think?

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:34 am »

Made in Japan (Honda FIT) vs Made in Mexico (ford Fiesta)  The Ford Fiesta is made in Mexico and its cheap fit and finish shows.
this car  may look great new, but in a few yrs, it will definitely not be as sturdy and reliable as a Honda fit which was 2009 compact car of the year.

The European Fiesta would have been the car to bring here, not a cheap down version made in Mexico.

There's a "J" at the beginning of the serial number, meaning its made in Japan.  At the present time the Honda fit is the only Honda car Made in Japan.

ford has made a nice cheaper competitor to the Honda FIT, but i would  say the FIT is the coolest compact car out on the market, right now.
The US Honda Fit sport gets Standard TPMS, Paddle shifters and Navigation option!  Why are these not available in Canada? Always seems Canada gets shafted on Vehicle options!

The mid-sized car with the highest reliability ratings from Consumer Reports is the Ford Fusion, which is "Hecho en Mexico".

A few years ago I looked up the country of origin for VW models, there was absolutely no correlation between reliability and whether it was made in Mexico or Germany.

My 2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD was built in  the "state of the art" Ford plant in Hermosillo Mexico.  The 2009 Ford Fusion has topped numerous studies/surveys for vehicle quality and has had "no" recalls at all (unlike so many of the vehicles "made in Japan" you refer to including Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus.  Sure, "any" manufacturer can/will experience problems with their products, but to make a blanket, broad statement like "if it's made in Mexico it has to be inferior to Japanese made" is just plane ignorant and so far from reality.  Before you paint all cars made in Mexico with the same uninformed brush, how about doing some research on the topic then you can make some informed posts/replies here on CarTalk Canada.

Sival

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2010, 10:38:02 am »
I'm seeing lots of "Fit vs Fiesta" discussion here but not a lot about where the Nissan Versa ranks in the mix. Versa seems to offer a ton of room,decent power and equipment, and Nissan is offering 1.9% lease and 0% finance rates versus Ford's 9.99% and 6.99%. What do you think?

I think that the Versa is basically a compact sold at a subcompact price point. It is bigger, faster, roomier, quieter, more comfortable but also thirstier, less nimble and less sporty than the subcompact competition. I can tell you that the room for rear-seat passengers is just plain amazing. Four 6-footers can easily sit comfortably in one.

In other words, the Versa is a very good choice for those who are shopping subcompacts for the price and urban readiness but who would really prefer a compact.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2010, 10:48:08 am »
Saw a green one just the other day.  Based on looks alone, I would definitely add it to my test-drive list if I were shopping right now, but I would wait for the centre armrest to become available before buying.  I have no idea why that minor detail is such a deal-breaker to me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2010, 11:38:07 am »
 ??? ::) Flappy armpits too heavy to hold upright............... ;D >:D :surrend: :spam: :hide:...............
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:42:59 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

smok

« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:40 pm »

I worked for a Ford supplier.  The Ford Fusion plant in Mexico in Hermosillo was by far the best quality plant of all of North American manufacturing facilities.  The people were so proud to be part of Ford and busted their asses.  Anyone that has visited the plant was impressed.  And this quality shows in studies.   I've never been there, I am just stating what I've heard.

The other facility where the Fiesta is made is new, but I haven't heard anything about it.  I am sure it will be fine.  I don't think Ford is taking shortcuts like it did in past. 

lifelover

« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »
jaeger  the fit is sold in great quantities for lots of reasons, the last of which is its looks

if you actually drive your fit agressively , to the floor , your mileage would drop alot , you might even hear some of the sloshing i was talking about , capitals ? complaining about someones typing ? are you kidding ? are you anal ? if not , get a life , this is canadian driver where people talk about cars

or did i type in typing school by mistake

Oh well, so much for being polite.  ::)

1) You know the reasons why each individual purchased their Fit - and that the last reason was looks?  Do tell how you gained that penetrating insight.
2) You drive a car aggressively and the mileage drops?  I would never have guessed!  ::)  Yes, I have driven it aggressively, and no, I have never heard the sloshing you describe.
3) The manner in which you choose to communicate suggests very strongly that you should have stayed in school a lot longer.  Or maybe it's just that you should have made an attempt to learn something while you were there.  As a matter of convention, even minimally educated grown-ups will start a sentence with a captial letter and end it with a period.  Don't worry, I no longer hold those expectations in respect of your posts.

Jaeger

Brilliant!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »
The rear seats don't fold down? Really? Seems like a glaring flaw in this sort of car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2010, 02:51:03 pm »
they don't?  They do, 60/40 who said they didn't?

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »
The rear seats do fold down, they just don't fold down "totally" flat....no biggie!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »
ah sorry my misunderstanding then.  :-[

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »
The rear seats don't fold down? Really? Seems like a glaring flaw in this sort of car.

just to be clear