Author Topic: 2011 Ford Fiesta SES; Day 1  (Read 40012 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2011 Ford Fiesta SES; Day 1
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:02:42 pm »

The Ford Fiesta is a real game-changer, says James, in that it offers premium feature in a subcompact car at a reasonable price. We're sure there's plenty of other stuff to like too, so follow this week's blog to see what he thinks of this much-anticipated little car.
Read More...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Ford Fiesta SES; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:24 pm »
be great if other subcompacts follow suit on features offered on the ses
shame the automatic is geared better for the highway than the city for my particular use
but i imagine the standard it makes no difference

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:09 pm »
Looks neat - I'm eagerly awaiting the larger sibling Euro Focus.  The "Transformers" centre stack is a little trippy, but overall looks okay.  Maybe a replacement for Mrs. Satan's Civic in a few years?

SS

John

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »
This is a timing belt engine.....Not worth the aggravation.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:07:58 am »
timing belt ? good point

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:50:56 am »
A Baby Focus. Hopefully will live up to the hype. The last Fiesta was pretty good from the Euro zone. I wonder if one of them colours that looks great, fab, now kind of colours and then in a few years time look kinda of odd. I like that green. It is much better than the Accent green anyways.....

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 07:31:27 am »
I am very interested to see how this car behaves.

I can't for the life of me figure out why ford keeps pushing that lime green color.

Why put a 1500 incentive on a brand new model?

cargoman

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:15 am »
I agree it should be a game changer, but at $22,079 for the model you drove, would you not want to look at the next segment up? I know you get a lot of car for your money here but you've entered the Fusion's territory. I don't see the point of a 22k sub-compact. Or is it just me?

As far as the costs go, I think a fully loaded Fiesta will appeal to young urban singles, who can afford a larger, more expensive car, but have no need for a larger car.  So why not use the extra money to gussy up a smaller sub-compact, instead of living with the stripper version? 

In short, the same reason people buy a Mini, Volvo C30 or an A3.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:53:36 am »
I like this car a lot.  I got to have a good look at the Montreal Auto Show back in January and was impressed.  I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin just to try it.  If this is the direction or Ford's small cars, then I can't wait to see the next Focus.

I don't think the price is unreasonable, considering the amount equipment you're getting.  (a few bucks less for me, I want the 5 speed manual).  I haven't even seen one on the road yet and there's already an incentive on it?  That's surprising!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:56:14 am »
  I will be interested in your views when comparing it to the Mazda 2 which is similar in concept but according to the Ford reps has only about 4 interchangeable items with it.

Both have basically for small children and adult back seats

The Fiesta a 6 spd auto while the Mazda 2 a 5 spd

The Ford wins on economy, but not by much, and quietness.

The Mazda 2 I gather wins on driver satisfaction but not by much

As an S2000 owner I will be interested in your views between the 2 after the test is complete James.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4867838400/

aknutson

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 08:56:24 am »
I've been looking forward to this review and the model you're driving is outfitted exactly the way I would buy it, even with the 5-speed manual. While the 6-speed auto is surely a marvel of engineering at this price point, I prefer the driver engagement of the manual tranny, I feel like I'm getting more out of the motor by controlling the revs and torque delivery, not to mention shaving $1,400 off the MSRP in an economy car is a considerable savings.

Looking forward to comments on smoothness (as this always a challenge in sub-compacts) and operation of the transmission. Driving a Protege5 now is a joy to toss around corners, but it lacks refinement. I'm hoping the Fiesta will have the same tossable feel but bring down the NVH a little bit.

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:02:56 am »
I agree it should be a game changer, but at $22,079 for the model you drove, would you not want to look at the next segment up? I know you get a lot of car for your money here but you've entered the Fusion's territory. I don't see the point of a 22k sub-compact. Or is it just me?

The $22K Fusion doesn't get 40 mpg and have a loaded interior with sunroof, leather and sound system. This is always the issue when a lower-tier car gets jammed up with options, some drivers prefer to be pampered with features and don't need the space, others want a bigger and more spartan model. It's all down to preference. For my daily driver I don't need room for 4 people and their stuff or a big motor, so this is the perfect blend.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:22:40 am »

The $22K Fusion doesn't get 40 mpg and have a loaded interior with sunroof, leather and sound system. This is always the issue when a lower-tier car gets jammed up with options, some drivers prefer to be pampered with features and don't need the space, others want a bigger and more spartan model. It's all down to preference. For my daily driver I don't need room for 4 people and their stuff or a big motor, so this is the perfect blend.

I have no problem with a 22K subcompact...maybe the Fusion is too cheap   ;)  ( The same thing with the Contour and Taurus 15 years back).   I do not understand why there would be incentives on a new model...if they feel they have to offer something then it should be done as some option for free  for a while... like auto and manual at the same price or something like that.

Personally I'll wait to compare the 2012 Focus with a 2012 or 2013 Golf as I want a car just a little big bigger than the Fiesta.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

manta

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:00 am »

Absolutely agre about too high price. Despite some pluses in design and engineering it should be cheaper. Ford might kill good sale numbers with this price tag. Look at Smart history....

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 09:46:39 am »
ALL of Ford's 2010/2011 offerings have some sort of "incentive" as part of their Employee Pricing campaign that is on at least until the end of August.  So, with the $1,500.00 incentive on the 2011 Fiesta, look at it this way, you are saving the cost of the freight!

aknutson

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:45 am »

Absolutely agre about too high price. Despite some pluses in design and engineering it should be cheaper. Ford might kill good sale numbers with this price tag. Look at Smart history....

This model is loaded to the :censor: - you can get a nice Fiesta hatch for $15,700, or a sedan for a lowly $12,500. What other quality hatchback can you get for $22K with the features in the Fiesta? A base model Mini Cooper starts at $24K.

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 10:06:12 am »

I disagree totally.  The problem is this:  everyone has always been complaining about "how come they don't bring over the European this or the European that?"  Well, now someone has (in this case FORD).  When you're in Europe, all you see are small compact and sub compact cars on the road.  At $22,000.00 CDN loaded with all the latest technology on a proven platform, state of the art automatic transmission that gets better fuel economy than the manual transmission, 7 air bags etc. etc. etc. I can't think of another car that is comparable (Mazda 2 is smaller than the Fiesta and is severely de-contented.)  I drove a Fiesta SE 5-door with the automatic this past Saturday ( I posted a mini review on another thread) and was very impressed.  I think Ford will do extremely well with the Fiesta...and I also think that it is a great lead-in to the "new to us" 2012 Focus that will be here sometime this winter. You have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges....and realize that Ford is raising the bar with the Fiesta as far as sub-compact offerings
in the Canadian market are concerned.  The other manufacturers are going to be adjusting their prices considerably because of the introduction of the Fiesta with all it's "standard" equipment at a very reasonable price IMO. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 10:24:29 am »
^^  +10

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:20 am »
The driving dyamics of the Fiesta impress me.  All it's supposedly great "features" don't.  I don't own an Ipod and have not yet reached so desparate a state of pathos that I am looking to my car for companionale conversation.  Much of the Fiesta hype is based on stuff about which I really couldn't care less.  But toys aside, it's a really nice little car.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Calvin

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 11:25:13 am »
I saw one of these in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago but in blue - nice colour, and it had the nice wheels too.  Looks better in real than in pics, and it doesn't look bad in pics.  Can't say that about a lot of cars nowadays.  I'm torn between something this small - for the mileage I'd love one, and waiting for the next Focus. I suppose if I can't fit the kids goalie equipment in either I'd still have to move up to a Fusion.  Only thing I'd like is (and maybe you can get it this way) if they'd lose the leather even if it only saves me $500, and the push button start.  I want cloth and a key please.  I don't know why everything at the top end has to have leather, and why the push for push button starts is so...pushed.  Or is it only in Canada where we have to have the loaded version if we want the nice wheels/top model - for whatever reason.  It's like the Fusion Sport.  Want.  But want cloth.  

Can't wait to hear the mileage.  Hopefully it meets the window sticker numbers. (Speaking of mpg - about time for a new 50l challenge, eh?  ;))