Author Topic: Sidebar: Untertrkheim Engine Test Centre  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Sidebar: Untertrkheim Engine Test Centre
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:02:32 am »
Brian Early got a rare look inside Mercedes-Benz' Untertrkheim car engine test facility. The three-storey contains 72 engine test benches and operates 24 hours a day, he tells us.
Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Sidebar: Untertrkheim Engine Test Centre
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:03:28 am »
I was lucky enough to be able to tour the Factory outside of Stuttgart back in 1977 and also the museum later in the year.

The engine testing facility while less visually engaging would be just as interesting.

Thanks for the report

My first new car was a 1979 Mercedes 240D whose engine was based a design from the 1930s, a far cry from todays diesels

The biggest Mercedes diesels I have driven were the 37.4 L 10 cylinder turbo charged unit fitted in the Canadian Forces Leopard tank propelling the 42 ton vehicle up to 80 km. off road. An experience I still vividly remember.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:34:30 am »
Some photos would have made this a really interesting article.  Without photos?  Not so much... :(

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:03 am »
Some photos would have made this a really interesting article.  Without photos?  Not so much... :(

Manufacturers never allow photography inside their production/testing facilities. Sometimes they'll supply photos to journalists doing pieces like Brians, but I assume that if he didn't provide any, it's because he wasn't given any.
I used to work here.

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:11:53 am »
Manufacturers never allow photography inside their production/testing facilities. Sometimes they'll supply photos to journalists doing pieces like Brians, but I assume that if he didn't provide any, it's because he wasn't given any.

That's a shame.  Even a photo of a test bench or equipment, or the 24 hr monitoring station would have made the story more interesting.