Author Topic: 2011 BMW X5 5.0i; Day 1  (Read 19609 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: 2011 BMW X5 5.0i; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 12:39:22 pm »
Cupholders are of little importance to me as well, but the need for 4 of them in front (as James comments on in his Day 2) is totally lost on me. Why do need 4 cupholders in the front?

I think he meant 2 cup-holders on the center floor console and 2 bottle holders in the doors (usually you cannot put cups in there hence they are referred to as such); same for the rear.

Most Euro cars don't have bottle holders; they barely “graduated” the cupholder stage. Some other manufacturers are currently "perfecting" the bottle holders (some offer slightly tilted holders for easy reach).

BTW: LOL ... I noticed Wing's comment earlier and I wondered what took so long for someone to pick-up on it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:24 pm »
Cupholders are of little importance to me as well, but the need for 4 of them in front (as James comments on in his Day 2) is totally lost on me. Why do need 4 cupholders in the front?

For the drinks and the fries   ::)  :rofl2:

Mart

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 06:59:10 pm »
It's ironic that BMW still makes one of (if not "the") best wagons in the business- the 5 Series Touring. By any measure, it makes the X Series irrelevant. But, as lemmings off a cliff, rich guys in NA needing utility buy into the execrable X5 and X6. And now, no NA 5Touring. Go figger... ::)

Imagine everybody started buying SUVs. What would car manufacturers so? Keep increasing the height of their vehicles so their customers would feel better about themselves because they sit higher than others?

Wagons are good for hauling stuff and good for driving pleasure. They weigh less and pollute less than a comparable SUV, which is good for everybody. The fact that people who don't need SUVs buy them is a sign of a social disease.

Anyway I always thought Canadians are more open to wagons, so why they are being canceled here? I wish car companies would stop mixing us with Americans.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »
Oh, sheesh, I can think of a ton of stuff I'd shell out for ahead of that thing.  Like an RS4 or RS6 Avant.  Any BMW wagon.  I'd rather buy a used Tahoe and 911.  At least the Tahoe has a spacious interior and the 911 is, well, a 911!!!!

Randy

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:08 am »
To 4cylinder's point, this bloated, heavy, awkward "thing" has no relevance to BMW's justifiable past claim as being "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

It's ironic that BMW still makes one of (if not "the") best wagons in the business- the 5 Series Touring. By any measure, it makes the X Series irrelevant. But, as lemmings off a cliff, rich guys in NA needing utility buy into the execrable X5 and X6. And now, no NA 5Touring. Go figger... ::)

I agree with you 100%. A colleague of mine had a 3.0 X5 and in the couple of times I was in it, I was underwhelmed by the handling. It was good for an SUV, but compared to a wagon, the wagon is better.
I'm also very disappointed BMW is canning the 5-series Touring (wagon) in North America. What an injustice for those of us who know that on the road an SUV just isn't as fun as a wagon.

As Colin Chapman said - "Increase the power you're faster in the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

Renn

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 08:35:08 am »
@Randy:

As Colin Chapman said - "Increase the power you're faster in the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

:bow: :bow: :bow: Anything that ACBC said, in any automotive context, is definitive.

/former Lotus S7S2 owner

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 09:00:47 am »
Very unfortunate that the 5 wagon won't be coming here any more.  My folks have the current 535xiT and it is pretty much the perfect luxo/sport/hauler vehicle in my eyes (for a price, mind you...).

The 5 wagon looks beautiful, but we're stuck with the 5 GT thing??  Too bad.

Regarding the X5, I actually do like the look of these things as far as luxury SUVs go, but I'd certainly go for the diesel.  425 lb-ft is certainly adequate and it costs much less than this 50i.  The X5M and X6M are ridiculous creations that serve no purpose but to own the 'top dog SUV' on the block.

aknutson

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:05 am »
I think the X5 has been so popular, and is actually cheaper than the 5-series touring in Canada, BMW really didn't see financial justification to keeping the touring around...even if in most enthusiast's eyes it is a far better machine.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 12:10:03 pm »
It is amusing hearing everyone talk about all of the other vechicles they would eagerly purchase instead of said vehicle featured in the article.  This actually happens in most articles when a vehicle is not popular for whatever reason - fuel mileage, dimensions, usefulness, appearance, ect....

People definitely have a right to comment either positively or negatively, but then again manufactures have a right to build any vehicle they choose and sell it to whomever they choose. 

Unfortunately, for those people indicating they would choose other vehicles, this particular one definitely has a place in NA since I see them absolutely EVERYWHERE I travel in Canada and the US.  Sure, I suppose this vehicle has a few shortcomings - many of which others have eagerly pointed out - but it must have a lot going for it since so many are out there and with the present state of the economy, I do not think people are buying this vehicle just because it is cool. 

For the people saying and thinking that this vehicle and others like it can be replaced by wagons, I do NOT disagree, but we would be foolish to think that all the people driving these SUV,SAV haulers are going to be switching to volvo and subaru wagons anytime soon. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:28 pm »
 :think: :shuffle: so PLAN B ,we have to ABORT our mission to comment on any vehicle 'cos U see "many" around Canada and the USA.................. :stick: :pimp: carer for a "HUMMER".............. :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 12:19:43 pm »

Imagine everybody started buying SUVs. What would car manufacturers so? Keep increasing the height of their vehicles so their customers would feel better about themselves because they sit higher than others?

Wagons are good for hauling stuff and good for driving pleasure. They weigh less and pollute less than a comparable SUV, which is good for everybody. The fact that people who don't need SUVs buy them is a sign of a social disease.

Anyway I always thought Canadians are more open to wagons, so why they are being canceled here? I wish car companies would stop mixing us with Americans.

Wow, you are out of touch my friend. Everyone drives SUVs, which is why you are seeing so many sub-categories of them and why GM stopped selling Minivans altogether. Nobody wants to be seen in a minivan these days - take it from someone who should probably have one but drives an SUV instead because I'd never hear the end of it from my buddies and because my wife despises them as well. Maybe that's whats really wrong with society today - we buy vehicles based on what others will think of us? I personally like the idea of wagons much better but evidently there's not many out there who would agree. There's very little in the way of wagon options - I think most see them still as something that maybe mom and dad used to drive - I'm sure those attitudes will change in time as most of the current generation of young drivers I don't think have seen many wagons around - so perhaps when they grow up and start having families.

In any case the market is always right and BMW sells everyone of these that they build. I personally know someone with one and I'm not a fan - but you can't argue with the customer. I'm just amazed that the X6 hasn't already been cancelled. If you guys think this thing is useless - wow.....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:23:04 pm by Spec5 »
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 12:23:35 pm »
:think: :shuffle: so PLAN B ,we have to ABORT our mission to comment on any vehicle 'cos U see "many" around Canada and the USA.................. :stick: :pimp: carer for a "HUMMER".............. :-*

Yes, starting from now people will only say things I allow them to. 

Roy

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 12:56:28 pm »

Maybe that's whats really wrong with society today - we buy vehicles based on what others will think of us?

And...the ladies like driving taller vehicles with sportiness for the most part at or near the bottom of the priority list.  Thus the selling power of the S.U.V. over a sports wagon with similar power, traction/awd, cargo capacity.

For a 'driving enthusiast' company its a shame BMW cancelled the 5 series wagon.  When it was around you couldn't even get a turbo with a stick and awd.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 01:12:45 pm »
..and here i tho't we hanged Saddammit....... ::) :P

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 01:42:46 pm »
I would bet this SUV, as big/heavy/tall as it, it's "sportier" than the vast majority of family sedans and the few wagons offered as alternative.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 02:21:52 pm »
I would bet this SUV, as big/heavy/tall as it, it's "sportier" than the vast majority of family sedans and the few wagons offered as alternative.

That would actually be an awesome comparo - perhaps a Alty 3.5SE vs. this thing OR new Taurus SHO - I believe it can be had with 20s as well is just as luxurious I'm sure and some might argue just as roomy.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 02:25:48 pm »

That would actually be an awesome comparo - perhaps a Alty 3.5SE vs. this thing OR new Taurus SHO - I believe it can be had with 20s as well is just as luxurious I'm sure and some might argue just as roomy.

Not sure if any sedan can compete in terms of roominess and/or cargo with mid-size/large SUVs. Wagons maybe?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »
All I know the X5 has some of the best seats and seating poisition  out there, and that is why a lot of people have bought this over the wagon.
If the majoriy of people want a wagon they would still be selling it

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 01:54:46 pm »

Well the problem is that in order for the Europeans companies to bring a car to Canada, they need to sell it in the U.S as well to make it cost effective.  If they feel that a model won't sell there then it's a very slim chance that they will bother bringing it here just for Canada, especially a low volume unit like the 5 series wagon.  BMW might be lucky to sell a handfull of them in even the big markets like T.O and Montreal.  The first case I've heard where a company brought a car to North America because of the Canadian market is the Mazda 2, but they're anticipating high sales for a car like that so it's justified.

aknutson

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 11:12:48 am »
All I know the X5 has some of the best seats and seating poisition  out there, and that is why a lot of people have bought this over the wagon.
If the majoriy of people want a wagon they would still be selling it

...also, to state again, the X5 was cheaper than the 5-series touring. That, plus there are still many people who believe they are getting more value if what they buy for the same dollar is bigger than something else, regardless of quality/performance.