Author Topic: Product Review: Scan Gauge II  (Read 19239 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: Scan Gauge II
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:05:30 am »

The $160 Scan Gauge II not only allows vehicle owners to identify the causes of "check engine" warnings, it provides vehicle information such as average fuel economy, coolant temperature, battery voltage, and vehicle speed, reports product reviewer Frank Rizzuti.

Read More...

John Meyer

Re: Product Review: Scan Gauge II
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:38:45 am »
This is simply a great device.  It can help you be a much more efficient driver.  Information overload can be yours very quickly!

I got mine at princess Auto for $80 or so and had it plugged in in about 5 minutes.  Simplicity itself compared to the effort of installing a similar device in the late '80s.  At that time you had to cut into the fuel line and attach a device on the speedometer cable.

However, there is a fatal flaw.  It blew two fuses on my '05 Echo and which had to be towed to the dealer.  No permanent damage.  This was after 2 months of great service.

Apparently I am not the only one top experience this and my Scan Gauge II now resides on a shelf in the basement.  I may plug it in to another car but I won't leave it in permanently.  A great pity.

Cheers,
John Meyer

I miss it a lot but will plug it in

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:35 am »
I've had my Scanguage II since August of 2007, when I visited the manufacturer's office in Mesa, Arizona.  I was able to use it on the rental car while I was there.  Since then, it's had a permanent home in my '02 Sebring.  It's been a great addition to the car.  It's especially interesting to watch the fuel consumption drop as you creep up behind a semi.  I've also used it at the drag strip to see at what rpm the transmission is shifting at.  I have not had the fuse problem that John Meyer has had, nor any problems for that matter.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

EO2VDQ

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:34:58 am »
I've had my ScanGuage II for over two years and haven't experienced a problem with it.  Maybe the one that Princess Auto sells is slightly different? I beleive that they sell something that looks the same but has a different name and is cheaper.  The only issue I've experienced is the OBD II connection in my car isn't always good and I sometimes lose the signal.  I don't know if that is because it is a fairly large plug that works lose or just my car's connection.

The error codes vary by manufacturer, so these do need to be found on line somewhere.

Being able to program the ScanGuage II is also great as I have set mine up to monitor avg fuel economyin litres/100km and it gives me a true engine temp readout vice a vague guage or idiot light.

Mike

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:52:16 am »
John, you didn't buy a scanguage at princess auto, you bought a knock off and I have read on various forums that the princess auto one will blow fuses on your car and causes issues.  The real scanguage has no such problem reports.

gerry dyer

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:42:50 am »
Where can you buy the ScanGauge II in Canada? Ontario?
Thanks.
Gerry

Sival

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:55:33 am »
I own one, mainly for fuel economy purposes and it works great. It is also possible to program other information to allow real-time monitoring of these. For example, I programmed a trip fuel economy to supplement the instant fuel economy information on the main screen. I also used it to clear a code after coming back from a trip, with my car not moving in at least 3 weeks. I got the code (for low voltage of something) and cleared it, and it didn't come back, no problem with the car.

I recommend buying it online for those interested. Much less of a bother than hunting for a store that has it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:34:02 am »
John, you didn't buy a scanguage at princess auto, you bought a knock off and I have read on various forums that the princess auto one will blow fuses on your car and causes issues.  The real scanguage has no such problem reports.

I have the Princess's knockoff, it's an Autel MaxiTrip.  http://www.auteltech.com/4in1.htm
I plugged it into the Outback for a trip to NB at xmas and had no problems.  Not so sure about using it now... but haven't personally heard of problems with them until now.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:37:06 am »
 I was just thinking of taking a ride down to Princess Auto to check it out.
Thanks Wing.....saved me the trip.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Darin

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:21 am »
I've had my ScanGauge II for about 2 years and so far no problems at all.  I use it primarily on my '03 Toyota Matrix XR, but do move it around from vehicle to vehicle.  The switch to vehicles is easy, just reprogram the size of the engine and the fuel tank capacity.  It will report in Metric as well as English formats for us folks in the US.  I paid $149.99 US at Amazon for it, and they still carry it there.

My only complaint is that I can't get oil pressure or temp to work on my Toyota.  An e-mail to the scangauge folks and they reported back that this issue is with Toyota not having those sensors on their engines.

Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:21:12 pm »
I've had one of these on the Tribute for about 4 years now. No issues and it provides good information.

Frank Rizzuti

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:24:33 pm »
Thanks.
Gerry
Gerry, the retailers in Ontario are:
Precision Tuning
2901 Steeles Ave West Unit 30
Toronto, ON
CANADA
416-514-0284

Gifford Automotive
330 McRae Ave.
Ottawa, ON
CANADA
866-891-5536

Frank.

John Meyer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 08:03:26 am »
Wing,

You are right.  My unit is the MaxiTrip TP100 so it seems the fatal flaw is limited to the cheap clones.

Since the functions it provides are just super, I'd recommend the Scan Guage II to anyone as it does not have the problems of the Princess Auto / MaxiTrip model.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »
Got my ScanGauge II through Gifford Automotive of Ottawa a year ago.  Paid $174.95 including shipping.  Don't know if the price has come down since.

I use it mainly to monitor fuel economy, gauges and as a trip computer.

Thing I would improve is a clickable connection between the gauge's connector and the car's OBDII as it has a tendency to work itself loose from the OBDII facing down and no way to secure a cable tie or something around it.

I would also make the white buttons a bit larger for easier operation while driving.

My last 2 tanks returned calculated values of 6.70 and 6.66 L/100 Km without using any particular hypermiling technique.  For a midsize car, that's not too shabby.

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »
The first I heard of this unit was on a yahoo board about Mercedes sprinter chassis Motorhomes that are manufactured by Winnebago. The early models had issues with hose/pipe regarding the turbo that would fail.  Since one of the big advantages of these Merc chassis  is fuel economy it essentially acts as a trip computer to monitor such and helps you know somewhat why your unit is limping home.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/View-Navion/

roger

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »
I have a Scangauge2 on my Mazda3 for the past 3 years and I love it. Getting info real-time is fantastic. I have it set to give me fuel economy, battery voltage (at the moment the voltage is lower then what it was in the past years so I'm bringing it to a garage) and the other 2 readouts I change all the time.

I helped a few people read CEL codes and clear them instead of paying a dealer to do it. There's an app on the Iphone to translate those codes.

R

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »
Thanks.
Gerry

I got mine at Budds Subaru in Oakville.  It was a while ago (1.5 years maybe), so I'm not sure if they still carry them.

Mine worked flawlessly in my Outback.  My current vehicle is a hybrid, and it works well, except for the fact that it powers down after a minute or so when I'm driving in electric mode only (I guess it doesn't receive any input from the engine when it's off, so it figures the vehicle is off).

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 10:55:25 pm »
I got mine off a Canadian Ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Scangauge-II-Ships4free-Scanguage-scan-gauge-guage-gage-/260647120414?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cafc76e1e

Free shipping, and mine was delivered very quickly.

I needed a volt gauge and something to turn off check engine lights anyway so the fuel economy info is basically free, but very interesting.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 10:55:23 am »
^ GPS shouldn't be in your line of sight like that ;)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 12:59:16 pm »
^ GPS shouldn't be in your line of sight like that ;)

Just below, which is perfect! :)