Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Mazda MX-5 PRHT  (Read 13121 times)

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Mazda MX-5 PRHT
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:44 pm »
i drove a friends 90 miata rag top in winter and hated it ,  everything kept fogging up all the time !
the windsheild and the pathetic plastic back window .

i've driven fwd cars several times and had the back end slide out , so much so it barely registers anymore
front wheels sliding  is easy to control too , but since it happens so infreqently , i have to think to take my foot off the gas pedal and steer  -- both are easy to do its just i've had alot more practice with oversteer than understeer -- which in itself speaks volumes

i watched this 90 zx - 2 years ago try to get out of this snowy icing parking lot , my car had no problem with it at all , getting in ,parking ,backing out, and leaving , i watched him at least 10 times try to get his rwd car out of the parking lot , their was a slight grade  , we tried to push it but it was slippery , making it hard to do , in the end  he left it there -- and thats the difference between fwd an rwd in snow
 i'm not going to debate tires

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 11:14:41 am »
quote -- the average driver won't notice the difference ( added weight )
mazda compensated for the extra weight by putting a larger anti roll bar up front and increased the rear spring rates - problem solved -  for the average driver

mind you if that measely 60-70 lbs had no effect on the car , mazda wouldn't have had to put a larger anti roll bar up front or increase the rear spring rates

You seem to be bending over backwards to find fault here. The truly anal about 60LBS have the ragtop available.

Even with the Hardtop the Miata is still the lightest roadster you can buy in North America (Unless you count the Smart as a roadster).

I used to own a 91. If I ever bought another Miata I would love a RHT. Mazda pulled an engineering coup with it's design.

The next Miata design is supposed to get much lighter again, but sadly it may lose the RHT in the process.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 11:57:55 am »
the miata is a great car , the lighter they can make it the better it handles,the more tossable it feels,the more fun it is to drive , the less stress it has on the suspension components to the smaller brakes it needs , to the better fuel mileage it gets ,and the quicker it gets ,to the shorter stopping distances to the smaller engine it needs , mazda knows light makes right - its not being anal on my part its what makes a better car , its as simple as that   

Rod Gardner

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 10:13:10 am »
What this review doesn't mention is the overall softening of the GT. I owned a 06 GT ordered from the factory with stiffer shocks and tighter suspension. Loved it,traded it in on a '10 GT. Ordered the same set up. I owned it for four months before selling it. What Mazda doesn't tell is the ride is softened,the seats are not as supportive as the '06,and it is not as fun to drive. Now the proud owner of a 07 Boxster,twice the fun and twice the trunk space.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 11:08:52 am »
congradulations rod - thought you would enjoy this

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/boxster/2007/review.html

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »
I thought this is a Test Drive review of the actual car, but it is an actual review of the Power HardTop.

In everyday driving, its impact on handling is minimal, if evident at all.

That was all about how it drives. Disappointed. Would be nice to read how it drives, and the difference between from the softtop, in more than 2 words.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 11:31:30 pm »
What this review doesn't mention is the overall softening of the GT. I owned a 06 GT ordered from the factory with stiffer shocks and tighter suspension. Loved it,traded it in on a '10 GT. Ordered the same set up. I owned it for four months before selling it. What Mazda doesn't tell is the ride is softened,the seats are not as supportive as the '06,and it is not as fun to drive. Now the proud owner of a 07 Boxster,twice the fun and twice the trunk space.

Sounds like you should've test-driven the '10 before you bought it.
I used to work here.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 11:37:29 pm »
I thought this is a Test Drive review of the actual car, but it is an actual review of the Power HardTop.

In everyday driving, its impact on handling is minimal, if evident at all.

That was all about how it drives. Disappointed. Would be nice to read how it drives, and the difference between from the softtop, in more than 2 words.

Here's a review of the 2009 PRHT: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/06/16/test-drive-2009-mazda-mx-5-prht.htm?page=all

According to what Rod learned after buying his 2010 without test driving it, the 2010 is "softer."

I agree that the review should've had some more driving impressions in it, but in all fairness, most enthusiasts already know what the Miata's like to drive. Everyone else buys them cos they're cute and could care less how the car handles or that the motor spins like a banshee on the highway.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »
no second car eh
front wheel drive is always easier to dive in the snow

I know most everyone who has never driven RWD in winter cannot believe it, but I much prefer front engined RWD cars with real (not performance) winter tires and traction control over FWD in winter. 

Just my personal preference based on FWD (Mazda 323, MX-3, Honda accord, Mazda 3) and RWD (MR-2, Miata, BMW 325i, BMW 330i) cars I've owned, all equipped with winter tires.   

When losing traction in a turn, the rear will usually slide first and easing off the gas will stop the oversteer (or traction control will take care it).  In a FWD, when losing traction, the front end will plow straight.  I find the former easier to control.

Agreed

See what is leading this race

From my prairie days

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4809876455/

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »
no second car eh
front wheel drive is always easier to dive in the snow

I know most everyone who has never driven RWD in winter cannot believe it, but I much prefer front engined RWD cars with real (not performance) winter tires and traction control over FWD in winter. 

Just my personal preference based on FWD (Mazda 323, MX-3, Honda accord, Mazda 3) and RWD (MR-2, Miata, BMW 325i, BMW 330i) cars I've owned, all equipped with winter tires.   

When losing traction in a turn, the rear will usually slide first and easing off the gas will stop the oversteer (or traction control will take care it).  In a FWD, when losing traction, the front end will plow straight.  I find the former easier to control.

Agreed

See what is leading this race

From my prairie days

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4809876455/

:thumbup: :thumbup: :bow2: :bow2:

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »
I drove an E30 318 for 20 years, with winters in the cold season, had no issues in Saskatchewan. After moving to Calgary, the hills and ice on the road make it rather difficult at times for the car to have traction. Even driving up the drive way was an adventure once a while. Switched to AWD with winter tires made life easier and more enjoyable playing in the white stuff.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 05:58:26 pm »
..FLATLINED fer 20 years..........and now yer having fun with the white stuff.....does yer MOMMY KNOW.... :shuffle:...ok ya told her that woz MILLENNias ago..... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:35 am »
Have to draw the line somewhere ... soften in '10 ... next thing we know, thee slush box is a standard ... and no more Flower Power of yesteryear! 

Richard

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:54 am »
 ???
Absolutley the wrong price point for this car!
It is 10,000-15,000 less here in the US.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 09:40:30 pm »
???
Absolutley the wrong price point for this car!
It is 10,000-15,000 less here in the US.

Yeah, 47 grand CAN (with freight, PDI & taxes) for the GT model with PRHT.... euh...  a little steep.   :(