Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Mazda MX-5 PRHT  (Read 13128 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Mazda MX-5 PRHT
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:07:35 am »

The MX-5's available power retractable hardtop raises or retracts in just twelve seconds, reduces road noise and provides extra security, reports Senior Editor, Paul Williams. But it "adds cost" and "some people find its appearance ungainly," he notes.

Read More...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile

hemusbull

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Mazda MX-5 PRHT
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:19:58 am »
Not only ugly - this addition finally kills the main idea behind Miata. Now it's expensive, full of heavy stuff incl. electronics and other goodies,  slowly follows Z4 and co. and alienates from it's own roots and fans. Well, they became older and wealtier and Miata from the end of 80's is totally different. Sad...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:07 am »
Not only ugly - this addition finally kills the main idea behind Miata. Now it's expensive, full of heavy stuff incl. electronics and other goodies,  slowly follows Z4 and co. and alienates from it's own roots and fans. Well, they became older and wealtier and Miata from the end of 80's is totally different. Sad...

Its not sad, it happens.

Many owners of this model at the recent Miatas in Moab VI had earlier models and missed their driving characteristics. However they do now have a new car with all the reliability, look at me cache that goes with it, plus of course the hardtop convenience and security. It is a 2  person operation to put on or take off the previous detachable unit.

Many of these same graduated owners have ordered the now desirable paddle shift automatic, something few enthusiasts did on previous NA and NC models. This is the NC series.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4680186415/

and my 20 year ride, the 2nd oldest at the gathering on its over 8,000 km jaunt to Texas and back to Vancouver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4622159205/

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:48 pm »
I think a hard-top that doesn't eat up any space (compared to the soft top) is ingenious.  Especially if it doesn't hinder visibility.

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »
still ugly ha,ha,ha
http://automobile.automotive.com/6081/0609-2007-mazda-mx5-miata-hard-top/index.html

Eye of the Beholder. That looks quite sharp to me, except for the new smiley grill.

This is the best RHT on the market IMO. Super fast, and takes up no trunk space.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:03 pm »
Truly is a magnificent design anyway. I mean what 27kilos heavier? No intrusion into the trunk? I mean how can you go wrong really? Would be nice if other manufacturer's were able to offer a comparable design - I think it would only help sell more convertibles.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »
mazda had no choice but to design their retractable roof that way
 the trunk space has always been marginal to begin with on the miata 
,they couldn't make the truck even smaller by having the retractable roof fold into part of it or all of it

even the weight of the retractable roof , 27 kilos , whats that , less than 60 lbs actually does make a difference on a small car like that , and to top it off , that added weight isen't at or near the center of gravity of the car to centralize mass but on the very highest part of the car , so i'm quite certain not only would the regular miata have a performance edge in acceleration times but a handling one too
its nice to have a hard top over a rag top , quieter inside no one knifing your rag top but the performance losses just don't seem worth while - the miata is a summer car and even the first gen established they were poor winter cars with their plastic rear window etc  , the miata is a great summer car , thats its true environment where it can trully shine and be fully appreciated for all it's worth with its roof down

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »
Getting a little anal about weight aren't we? 60lbs? Thats like a BigMac meal for you and the Mrs.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »
ha,ha,ha ,tell that to mazda concerning their mazda 2

spec 5 , to my surprise i was wrong to a certain extent , you were right to a certain extent

quote -- the average driver won't notice the difference ( added weight )
mazda compensated for the extra weight by putting a larger anti roll bar up front and increased the rear spring rates - problem solved -  for the average driver

mind you if that measely 60-70 lbs had no effect on the car , mazda wouldn't have had to put a larger anti roll bar up front or increase the rear spring rates
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:51:35 pm by bikenut »

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08:17 pm »
just came across this,  thought the group might find it interesting .

cars that drivers love best

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/15/jdpower-apeal-cars-lifestyle-vehicles-satisfaction.html

Old George

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:38:18 am »
Hey Paul, I thought this was going to be an article about the Miata's test drive, not just a digression about its god damn retractable hard top. Could you please write about actual driving impressions, interior fit and finish, noise, overall quality and all the stuff used to be part of a minimally serious test drive? Thanks.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:46:39 am »
old george - canadian driver , after informing its readers about all the features etc of a car leaves the driving impressions last
eg bmw's recent test , the driving impressions weren't given till day 3 and 4
hope this clarifies things for you

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:50 am »
old george - canadian driver , after informing its readers about all the features etc of a car leaves the driving impressions last
eg bmw's recent test , the driving impressions weren't given till day 3 and 4
hope this clarifies things for you

As far as I know, this isn't a multi-day test of the Mazda....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 04:00:29 pm »
yes , you're right rocket , i was looking forward to the ride review today and there wasn't one

i'm sure their are driving tests elsewhere on it in canadian driver on the prht mazda - its has been out for quite awhile
but regardless , i was still expecting a driving review today , as it stands this is a snipet at best of the car with all the info going to the roof
old george , your complaint is justified
this is more of what you were looking for
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/07/16/test-drive-mazda-mx-5-gt-prht.htm

- i read several reviews on some cars to see if they say the same things

i don't know car magazines well enough , being a relatively new hobby compared to motorcycles ,to know who gives the most credible unbiased report
( in bikes i always liked cycle canada because they would spot one little but important thing the other magazines missed but motorcyclist was always my favourite, cycleworld was too biased )

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 05:02:03 pm »
its nice to have a hard top over a rag top , quieter inside no one knifing your rag top but the performance losses just don't seem worth while - the miata is a summer car and even the first gen established they were poor winter cars with their plastic rear window etc  , the miata is a great summer car , thats its true environment where it can trully shine and be fully appreciated for all it's worth with its roof down

I drove my 92 Miata for 10 Ottawa winters - with good winter tires, it was quite drivable and a lot of fun (mine had a limited slip dif).  I had the removable hardtop with rear window defogger. 

When our son goes away for university in a few years, we'll probably move to a condo and I'll be looking for a lightly used with PHRT since I'll have no space to store a removable top.  Or depending on how my investments do, maybe I'll be looking st a Lotus Elise :)

However, the 1st-gen soft top with the rear window that could be opened was great on hot summer days - with no air conditioning, I could drive through a rainstorm with the rear window unzipped and not get wet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:08:14 pm by normancw »
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »
no second car eh
front wheel drive is always easier to dive in the snow

your next car puchase will most likely be with cash - keep this in mind
If you plan to pay for the car with cash, even better. But don't announce that right when you walk in the door--it'll automatically tip off the salesperson that he should charge you more up front, since he won't be making money off the dealership financing plan.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:31:18 pm by bikenut »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 06:56:37 pm »

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 07:40:14 pm »
missed that one , thanks

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 08:19:45 pm »
no second car eh
front wheel drive is always easier to dive in the snow

I know most everyone who has never driven RWD in winter cannot believe it, but I much prefer front engined RWD cars with real (not performance) winter tires and traction control over FWD in winter. 

Just my personal preference based on FWD (Mazda 323, MX-3, Honda accord, Mazda 3) and RWD (MR-2, Miata, BMW 325i, BMW 330i) cars I've owned, all equipped with winter tires.   

When losing traction in a turn, the rear will usually slide first and easing off the gas will stop the oversteer (or traction control will take care it).  In a FWD, when losing traction, the front end will plow straight.  I find the former easier to control.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:21:34 pm by normancw »