Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Porsche Cayenne  (Read 9907 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Porsche Cayenne
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:07:04 am »

Aside from its more attractive styling and roomier cabin, the most impressive thing about the new Porsche Cayenne is its ability to perform as well on a racetrack as on a rocky, muddy trail, reports Social Media editor, James Bergeron.

Read More...

aknutson

Re: First Drive: 2011 Porsche Cayenne
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:59:21 am »
I have to admit, while it is almost shameful to compare this 'Porsche' to the likes of the venerable 911 or other great sports cars, I do have to compliment the engineers on their technical ability in creating what they have. It seems this new Cayenne has managed to trim some weight while better accomplishing it's original multi-faceted skills in delivering both on the road and off. The interior is too busy though - Land Rover is still king of comfort.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:20 am »
I like the Cayennes a lot more than when they first arrived on the scene. Familiarity does not always breed contempt in this case. The Cayenne is a very capable vehicle.

However, if I were buying in this market segment, the X5M would be my choice.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:14:19 pm »
Social Media editor? 8)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »
that be me :P

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »
Boo they got rid of the manual transmission for the Cayenne S, as if I could afford one. There are a couple of used Cayennne S with manual transmission for sale in my area. 400 HP and a capable 0-60 in 5.9 seconds vroom. I know this is the ultimate embarrassment to SUVs and the Porsche name brand but hey the family types need a capable yet usable vehicle too. Now where can I get a mortgage application for these?

eigentor

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 05:15:47 pm »
Does every single article about the Cayenne and Panamera have to include the opening clique about "Porsche Purists"? Has someone ever coughed up a primary source on this?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:52:48 pm »
  Dear social media editor, do I really have to have my pinky raised while typing forum responses,and will there be a coming out BALL this year............... :shuffle: :think: :pimp:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

pcurve

Office 2007 Product Key
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 07:34:17 pm »
Hello I'm new to here...         
Glad to see all!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:01:29 am by pcurve »

Wilson

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
I think I'll take the S with a set of BF Goodrich Mud Terrains.  Hey, if I'm going to buy an SUV, I'm going to use it like an SUV and go hunting with it.

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:11 pm »
I like the Cayennes a lot more than when they first arrived on the scene. Familiarity does not always breed contempt in this case. The Cayenne is a very capable vehicle.

However, if I were buying in this market segment, the X5M would be my choice.

X5M would satisfy the 'sport' quotient, but unlike the bloated M the Cayenne can still trudge through the rough stuff, which is the only reason I still think it's kinda cool.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »
I spent about a week with an old-model Cayenne GTS with the manual transmission, and two weeks with a virtually identically spec'd GTS with the auto. I have to say, the manual just did not suit the car at all. It had a very balky, imprecise action, and it just felt like a whole lot of effort for not much reward.

I was all for the idea of a car like this with a manual transmission, but after experiencing it, I'd pick the auto any day of the week.

Boo they got rid of the manual transmission for the Cayenne S, as if I could afford one. There are a couple of used Cayennne S with manual transmission for sale in my area. 400 HP and a capable 0-60 in 5.9 seconds vroom. I know this is the ultimate embarrassment to SUVs and the Porsche name brand but hey the family types need a capable yet usable vehicle too. Now where can I get a mortgage application for these?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 04:06:01 am »
I spent about a week with an old-model Cayenne GTS with the manual transmission, and two weeks with a virtually identically spec'd GTS with the auto. I have to say, the manual just did not suit the car at all. It had a very balky, imprecise action, and it just felt like a whole lot of effort for not much reward.

I was all for the idea of a car like this with a manual transmission, but after experiencing it, I'd pick the auto any day of the week.

I've never driven any variation of the Cayenne but that would have been my gut instinct as well - that is, a manual in the GTS would seem very cool in theory, but perhaps not so great in practice.

I'm in Europe now, and I have seen a handful of 2011 Cayenne's here - they do look much nicer than the older versions. I would happily have one in black with a V8, though i wonder how well the V6 performs and if the trade-off of performance/gas mileage is worth it.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »
Agreed, the 2011s look much nicer than the outgoing model. I would steer clear of the V6. In a big vehicle such as the Cayenne, you want lots of low down power. The 280hp Touareg V6, on which I believe the Cayenne's 6 is based, feels pretty gutless in the Touareg.

Gas mileage is still pretty awful, too (I saw an average of about 16l / 100km in the V6 Touareg, and could never understand who would pick it over the 400+lb / ft of torque in my diesel, which averaged about 11l / 100 km).

If anyone is getting a vehicle like a Cayenne in a market where no diesel is available, I'd say suck it up and go with the V8.

I've never driven any variation of the Cayenne but that would have been my gut instinct as well - that is, a manual in the GTS would seem very cool in theory, but perhaps not so great in practice.

I'm in Europe now, and I have seen a handful of 2011 Cayenne's here - they do look much nicer than the older versions. I would happily have one in black with a V8, though i wonder how well the V6 performs and if the trade-off of performance/gas mileage is worth it.

Offline slalom

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:07 pm »
2015 i3 REx

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 12:21:14 pm »
speaking of Cayenne's, this is a good read  8)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/porsches-deadly-sin-3-2004-cayenne-v6/

That article does not say anything that the general car enthusiast does not already know.  The car was heavy, underperforming, and unreliable - we all knew that.

The funny thing about the article was what the author left out - that this model (the Cayenne) is the best selling model Porsche has EVER had - undoubtedly the V6 model he talks about contributed to the overall line-up success and has allowed the company (at least in part before VW took over) to make this vehicle what it should have been from day one when they perhaps did not have the resources to do so initially.