Author Topic: Feature: Porsches - not for poseurs  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Porsches - not for poseurs
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:03:42 am »

Though not many Porsche owners actually drive their Porsches on the racetrack, all production Porsches can be driven on the track with no modifications whatsoever, says James Bergeron who heads to Mosport International Raceway to sample Porsche's latest offerings.

Read More...

davidm

Re: Feature: Porsches - not for poseurs
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
With a lowly 996.2 C2 cab (only 320 hp / 273 torques in a 1378 kg car - 4.3 kg / HP) you can certainly do a lot of damage to the speedometer and your wallet.  Haven't been to the track yet (owned it for 10 days now), but it is a very interesting drive from any other sports/track car I've driven.  Much heavier, much less precise steering, but somehow seems faster.  I totally get the "manly" comment as I was originally thinking Elise and drove those - crotch-rocket with 4 wheels is the closest I can think of.  They require a lot of precision, and a lot more focus, to go fast whereas the 911 has a bit of muscle-car feel by comparison (although one that can turn and stop).

I've been surprised how much cowl shake and general flexiness there is in the 996 cab.  How did you find that on the Boxster and the Targa?  Did you notice the extra weight in the roof of the Targa, many complain it feels top heavy?

Curious your sense of those cars vs the S2000.

Oh, and check out the latest Fifth Gear video making the rounds as I'm sure you'll appreciate it  http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/25/video-fifth-gear-follies-tiff-puts-a-scare-into-jason/

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:07:05 pm »
No in car pics fer us Poseurs Wing........I could pose fer some!!!!! ;D...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:11:19 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:20:41 pm by wing »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:42 pm »
..well lick my Germut...and shave my Schaden......now we are talkin'.....ta.... :D

davidm

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »
Did you get a chance to try the Spyder's roof?  I'd be curious how doable it is with one person.

I miss the manual roof of my Miatas.  Every time the Porsche electric roof goes up and down I can see and hear all the motors whining and the roof panels folding/moving (despite being a softtop there are some surprising little trim panel movements in a 911 softtop) - I can just picture the massive electrical failure.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 04:33:02 pm »
I can just picture the massive electrical failure.

Shouldn't worry, it does NOT rain in Vancouver, yes?  :)

At 1378Kg, just over 300Lb, still a very light car. Surprised to read the less precise steering on the Porsche.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 04:59:35 pm »
Re the steering.  I have never driven a 911 or any variant.  I did read some time ago now that all of them since the original 911 and 912 all SEEM and FEEL as if they have imprecise steering and the technique is just to let the wheel "dance" a little in ones hands and the car will go exactly where it is pointed.

So... to you past and present owners... is this the way they are or did I read some apocryphal stories those years ago?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »
Great article James, had a sense I was in the car with you.

Glad the paddles upshifts and downshifts are the 'right way' (pull left for down, right for up).  Never noticed those things, but now that I have paddle shifters and use them++, I'd much prefer that than 'push-pull'.

I heard the steering feel in Porsche are superlative, notably better than anything out there.  ???

davidm

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 07:28:18 pm »
Re the steering.  I have never driven a 911 or any variant.  I did read some time ago now that all of them since the original 911 and 912 all SEEM and FEEL as if they have imprecise steering and the technique is just to let the wheel "dance" a little in ones hands and the car will go exactly where it is pointed.

So... to you past and present owners... is this the way they are or did I read some apocryphal stories those years ago?

I think that might be it.  I haven't had the car long enough, or tried it in a good setting (track, autocross, "interesting" road), but it might simply getting used to the ratio on the steering rack.  My Mini (when Sport mode was engaged) was very direct, very precise, and required very little movement to get things done.  Same with my Miatas.  The 911 seems to require more wheel movement to make things happen.  That said, at the speeds I've been able to use it at it certainly does go where you point it so perhaps my usage of the word "precise" wasn't correct.

Still learning the P-car as it is definitely a different beast from the Mini and my previous vehicles.

That said, first car I've ever owned where my daughter (3.5 years of age) gets really excited when we say we get to go in Daddy's car.  She has even apparently boasted at daycare that her Daddy has a Porsche car with no roof!  8) ;D

davidm

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:02 pm »
Great article James, had a sense I was in the car with you.

Glad the paddles upshifts and downshifts are the 'right way' (pull left for down, right for up).  Never noticed those things, but now that I have paddle shifters and use them++, I'd much prefer that than 'push-pull'.

I heard the steering feel in Porsche are superlative, notably better than anything out there.  ???

Funny, Julie I had the same paddles on the Mini as your 335 and I liked the Push/Pull.  My Dad has an A3 with the up/down on separate paddles and I find it more confusing.  I like the flexibility of using either hand to shift although it probably does allow for some bad habits to form.

As I said, still learning the Porsche.  The steering comment could be more about me than the car. :bang:

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 09:20:28 pm »

As I said, still learning the Porsche.  The steering comment could be more about me than the car. :bang:

Don't forget to update your Porsche thread every once in a while with your driving impressions...  so we can live vicariously through your experience.  :drool:  ;D

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

When I was a newb at autocrossing I asked an experienced 911 driver for pointers, he said to stop steering so much. 
Half the steering in an older 911 is done with your right foot.  When powering out of a corner you can feel all that mass is behind you with all the weight on the rear wheels and the front wheels are only there to keep the  plate from dragging on the ground. You correct your line with inputs from the gas pedal about as much as with the steering wheel.  If you're doing it right only one front is really touching anyhow.
Front tires only wear at about a third the rate of the rears.

I do let the wheel "dance" somewhat, if I get really crossed up I sometimes even let it go to straighten back out.  Maximum caster angle might have something to do with it.

(all info pertains to older 911's, 996 and newer are more balanced, but not too different)

Mr Pickypants