Author Topic: 2011 BMW 335is; Day 1  (Read 43764 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 BMW 335is; Day 1
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Traitors.................. ;) ;) ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2010, 02:54:40 pm »

Don't worry ovr, a certified series M3 sedan is still sitting at the top of my (dream) list.   ;D

roscoe

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »
do you have the graph?

No, but here is the APR link for their Stage 1, 2, and 3 programs. They have dyno graphs posted there, but done by them. I can tell you that the claims are accurate, as I had my GTI dyno'd after doing APR Stage 1, 3-inch APR exhaust, and a cold air intake. I was putting down 254 hp and 313 lb-ft to the wheels. Or, applying the 15% drivetrain loss factor, 300 hp and 370 lb-ft at the crank.

goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tfsi_trans.html

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »

Don't worry ovr, a certified series M3 sedan is still sitting at the top of my (dream) list.   ;D

I saw a few new M3 sedans whilst in the UK.  Much as I like the coupe shape the 4 door M3's look really good!!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2010, 11:31:07 am »
IMO, this is due to the fact that many of these cars are purchased for their "status" alone...

I would say that is true in our NA society, but in other parts of the world that I have visited, a 3 series is a plain everyday A to B driver.

These "status hungry" types are the same ones that crave to be seen in their vehicles. They, like some motorcyclists, will hang out at meeting points, doughnut shops, cruise the strip, etc.

Its our society. Cripes, I have seen glamourous big dollar kitchens where nothing is ever cooked in. Their owners buy their lunches (crap food) at work. There isn't a single item on any counter top. Those kitchens are just for show for when friends come over. I have to chuckle. :rofl2:
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2010, 11:49:18 am »
IMO, this is due to the fact that many of these cars are purchased for their "status" alone...

I would say that is true in our NA society, but in other parts of the world that I have visited, a 3 series is a plain everyday A to B driver.

These "status hungry" types are the same ones that crave to be seen in their vehicles. They, like some motorcyclists, will hang out at meeting points, doughnut shops, cruise the strip, etc.

Its our society. Cripes, I have seen glamourous big dollar kitchens where nothing is ever cooked in. Their owners buy their lunches (crap food) at work. There isn't a single item on any counter top. Those kitchens are just for show for when friends come over. I have to chuckle. :rofl2:

I agree. In those sensible places where one can buy a 318, a 320 or a 4 cyl diesel and have many of the great things about a BMW 3-er at a reasonable price.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »
I agree. In those sensible places where one can buy a 318, a 320 or a 4 cyl diesel and have many of the great things about a BMW 3-er at a reasonable price.

And that is exactly what I'd be looking for in my next daily driver. Something with a solid-on-the-road feeling without the bulk and that gets me from A to B with no fancy frills.

Its funny how we in NA look upon these cars. Most think high performance; I think regular car that drives the way it should, or at least the way I think it should.

A 320d won the 24 hours at the Nurburgring...probably had to make less fuel stops. ;)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »

Interesting that many people see bright/flashy cars as a clear indicator of a "status hungry" person.  I don't think it needs to be the case.  I know you're with me hcrv...as you drive a yellow 911!

I would love to have my next car be yellow (911)...or Grabber Blue (Mustang)...or Orange (Lotus)...or Plum Crazy (Challenger).  Not because I crave to be seen...I just like the look of some of them.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2010, 11:19:39 pm »
I fail to see how driving a 3-series/C-class can have some level of social status, they are as common as Corollas and Civics. The trucks here cost more, and are everywhere.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2010, 03:58:50 am »
 There are so many of them around I don't really notice BMWs anymore, and when I do it's usually because the driver's done something stupid like failing to use signals or running a red light. That driver usually turns out to be a young blonde woman or a teenage boy with his girlfriend beside him. Yesterday, a brand-new 5-series cut in front of me when it was pulling out of the parking lot at - get this - Value Village, at the wheel was an elderly woman in her 80's. She didn't stop for oncoming traffic and didn't even look in my direction. Not really something to aspire to, unfortunately... :'(

That said, I'd still love to have a nice little 3-series. Red, of course. ;D

' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:58 am »
I'd still love to have a nice little 3-series

3 series is not too little anymore :(

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2010, 10:35:00 am »
Interesting that many people see bright/flashy cars as a clear indicator of a "status hungry" person.  I don't think it needs to be the case.  I know you're with me hcrv...as you drive a yellow 911!

I never thought of the colour aspect and don't consider it as a "clear indicator of a "status hungry" person". Maybe it is for some.

Ask me this time last year if I would have bought a Speed Yellow 911 and I would have told you, "are you crazy, German cars should be silver". I also thought that when I saw pics in the ad, but once i saw that particular yellow in person, it was a done deal.

As for being seen, good luck finding me. I'm on back roads where there is no traffic. I'm also not a show 'n shine type to bring my cars/motorcycles to malls or hang out at the local Tim's.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2010, 09:42:49 pm »

I never thought of the colour aspect and don't consider it as a "clear indicator of a "status hungry" person". Maybe it is for some.

Ask me this time last year if I would have bought a Speed Yellow 911 and I would have told you, "are you crazy, German cars should be silver". I also thought that when I saw pics in the ad, but once i saw that particular yellow in person, it was a done deal.

As for being seen, good luck finding me. I'm on back roads where there is no traffic. I'm also not a show 'n shine type to bring my cars/motorcycles to malls or hang out at the local Tim's.

Personally I find meets lots of fun, I love speaking to "car" people.  And I'm not talking about hanging out at the mall.  I don't treat cars like garage queens either, they are there to be driven, and if that means a trip to the mall for some shopping so be it.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »

Personally I find meets lots of fun, I love speaking to "car" people.  And I'm not talking about hanging out at the mall.  I don't treat cars like garage queens either, they are there to be driven, and if that means a trip to the mall for some shopping so be it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: well said TB.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »
Personally I find meets lots of fun, I love speaking to "car" people.

And motorcycle people, except they're not at meets but riders on a tour that stop at mountain pass tops or roadside stops. That makes it all the more interesting because some/most of them are from far away places.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2010, 10:00:05 pm »
I don't mind motorbike people, as long as they are also car people.  I like bikes, but I can't stand listening to bike people go on about how great bikes are compared to cars.  Whatever floats your boat. (boatpeople  :rofl2:)

:thumbup: :thumbup: well said TB.

cheers!
 :)

And you never know what you might see when you're out and about...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,26765.msg661961.html#msg661961

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2010, 12:38:20 am »
I'm on back roads where there is no traffic. I'm also not a show 'n shine type to bring my cars/motorcycles to malls or hang out at the local Tim's.

Not sure about the newer versions, but both of my 911's sucked in traffic.  Crawling from light to light was an exercise in frustration.  The steering was weighted perfectly for high speed work, but at slow speeds around parking lots and such work, was terrible.

In parking lots, the car was a target.  Parking at the curb was safer, but uninformed passengers could open the door into the curb unless I took care to park far out.