Author Topic: 2011 BMW 335is; Day 1  (Read 43778 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2011 BMW 335is; Day 1
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »

Months after the BMW 335is became one of James' favourite cars ever following a track event in Portugal, he gets to spend an entire week with the car to see what it's like to live as a daily driver.
Read More...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 BMW 335is; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:09 pm »
Wow, should be a good week, James.

I'll be interested in seeing your feelings on the DCT tranny (which I love, and make no bones about it).  ;D

If I were to order this car, not sure I would add all the Executive and Nav packages; so will be interested in your feelings in that dept as well.

Have fun !!!
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:24:48 pm »
If I were to order this car, not sure I would add all the Executive and Nav packages; so will be interested in your feelings in that dept as well.

Yes.  Interested in your thoughts James, re this vehicle vs. a base M3 coupe.  Which wouldn't be that far off in price... but without Nav, Executive Pkg & MDrive (although the MDrive will now be standard in 2011 cars as of September 2010 production).

I'm not personally a fan of the looks (such as the additional 'is' badging everywhere, which I find excessive, and the solo-choice grey aluminum trim option), but for someone who likes it, I think $58K as a base price is not a bad price...  Basically, it's only 2K more than a 335i with the M-Sport pkg, which Canada has dropped (but the States haven't...)  Again, I personally think 4K for an esthetic pkg only (i.e. the M-Sport pkg) was too much, but it was apparently popular, and so this adds only 2K more but comes with a performance upgrade.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:01 pm »
Also, your thoughts - 335is vs. S4.   :)

Alex S

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:29 am »
A personal fave...should be a great week.

As great as this car is, I still prefer the looks of the previous generation coupe.  Also, from day 1, I have never been a fan of the middle 'hump' on the dash for the nav.  I like that area to be flat.

A 330ci with M Sport package would suit me just fine..

dragonflyjack

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:47:29 am »
  Okay...67 grand for an automatic equipped compact car...Guess I'm just not purist enough to appreciate this...
  Oh, well, I forgot the exclusivity of the "is" badging and the trunk flap...Now I get it.....dragonfly

samej

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:21:55 am »
James in a BMW again, can mysterious radio malfunctions be far away ::) Comments on the ride compromise vs the wheel/tire combo would be appreciated, James.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:31:36 am »
James, looking forward to the review, but I hope you don't fall into the typical BMW "greatest car on the track so I'd buy one in a heartbeat" review...I went test driving M3s and C63 AMGs with a friend, and frankly the M3 was boring as a drive-around-the-city-car, which for most people is 95% of the time. These cars are fantastic track machines with great performance and handling, but from a regular driver's perspective...is it really a more fun car to go get groceries in than say a Mini? I suspect this car (335) would be much better suited to city driving than an M3 as it has so much low down grunt, but don't let your track days sway your opinion for us mere mortals who don't get those opportunities!

When we went test driving the M3, the sales guy had to get it up to 200 km/h on the freeway and take a 50 km/h offramp at 100 km/h just to show how impressive the car was. Very juvenile though thoroughly convincing, but there is nowhere to drive like that without inviting a heap of trouble.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:37 am »
As expected, now comes the posts that say either or both of:
- it's too much money, and/or;
- you can't use it's full potential daily, so why have it?

To those posters, I say:
- are you really a car enthusiast? and,
- Jeep drivers explain it best with a bumper sticker/saying that goes "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

Being an open internet forum, this is bound to happen. Hopefully, this thread will forcus more on the car and how it drives and feels to the driver than the Sierra Club - A to B transportation comments.  ::)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 10:11:12 am »

To those posters, I say:
- Jeep drivers explain it best with a bumper sticker/saying that goes "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand".

There has been ONE post talking to this. 4 out of the 8 posts up to this point have been from 3 series owners.  I figured BMW owners were a sensitive lot...another data point for me.

To respond to your two points!
  • When it comes to my purchase - not a car enthusiast...but a driving enthusiast.  I can appreciate the performance of this car without wanting to buy one if it's boring to drive on the street.
  • BMWs don't need a bumper sticker...the rondel is all they need...and it may be all of the 3 series owners in Toronto that make me say that I really don't want to join this club.  Our Mini somehow escapes that.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:02 am »
It has nothing to do with being "sensitive"...

It has to do with these same comments being posted about many cars, including the Mini which has been called overpriced for its' size, etc. You (TG) drive a Mini because it is a fun car to drive, but on pure value scale, it makes little sense. There are many posters on here who stretch the definition of car enthusiasts to the max. In fact I think some of them are here to generally bash cars and driving, and love to stir up the pot.

It gets tiresome after while.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:02:04 am »
Man these cars look good in red! (granted any sport / sporty car does).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions as a daily driver.

I think I have mentioned this before, but where do we apply for your job again?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:21:14 am »
Wonderful engine and rear wheel drive in an attractive body and set of wheels

Now if one could only drop the top and keep up with my summer wheels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4768239208/

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:26:50 am »
Man these cars look good in red! (granted any sport / sporty car does).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions as a daily driver.

I think I have mentioned this before, but where do we apply for your job again?

Get in line buddy !!   ;D

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:32:05 am »

To those posters, I say:

Being an open internet forum, this is bound to happen. Hopefully, this thread will forcus more on the car and how it drives and feels to the driver than the Sierra Club - A to B transportation comments.  ::)

Well, unless you live in a dream world, you HAVE to somehow apply the knowledge to the real life conditions if you were to even CONSIDER imagining yourself behind the wheel of this impressive beast. Otherwise, this tuns into a posers' bragging pad with nothing to really brag about (sorta like kids arguing whose father is stronger)
Nothing wrong with wanting to know if the car is comfortable as a daily grocery getter with speed limits and bumpy and slippery ramps.
I would definitely want to hear that the car is comfortable enough to be a daily companion with that adrenaline pumping character available when called upon. And if it's not then it really just another expensive toy.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:51:38 am »
  • BMWs don't need a bumper sticker...the rondel is all they need...and it may be all of the 3 series owners in Toronto that make me say that I really don't want to join this club.  Our Mini somehow escapes that.

So what your car says (or doesn't say) about you is as important to you as it is to these "3 series owners in Toronto" you refer to? 

I wasn't aware buying a BMW automatically made me a member of a club.  How can I quit?  Can i keep my car and just remove the roundels?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:59:57 am by normancw »
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »
There are different kinds of car reviews...

-Cars that most people would actually buy (think Civic)
-Cars that a lot of folks could buy if they wanted to (think 328, 335, whatever)
-Cars that most people only dream about (Top Gear's recent Panamera/Rapide/Quattroporte comparo comes to mind)

Nothing wrong with any of them, as long as you recognize which category the review belongs to....
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »

So what your car says (or doesn't say) about you is as important to you as it is to these "3 series owners in Toronto" you refer to? 

I wasn't aware buying a BMW automatically made me a member of a club.  How can I quit?  Can i keep my car and just remove the roundels?

Ya...a couple things going on here that I'll get blasted for.

• There are just so darn many 3 series around.
  • For many years now, BMW is no longer an aspirational "performance" brand in my eyes....it's an aspirational "status" brand.  I now put BMW and Mercedes in the same category.  Of the many people I've come across that even own a 3-series, a scary proportion seem to have no clue what 3 series they even have..."It's a BMW" , they respond with a puzzled look on their face as to why I would even ask the question.  M people and iS people seem to be the exception.

Both of these factors, call me crazy/self-conscious...somebody will...influence my decision that a 3-series would have to blow me away to buy one.

A good Yogi-ism here - "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded".

http://www.umpirebob.com/DATA/yogiisms.htm

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »
TopGun is right, there is a negative perception in many minds about BMWs in general, and most particularly about the 3 Series. IMO, this is due to the fact that many of these cars are purchased for their "status" alone, and by certain groups (true at the West Coast for sure) who, as parents, buy their 16 yr old children a 3 Series for nothing other than being male and 16. Many 3 Series are in the hands of immature, entitled kids. This is very unfortunate IMO, but there is little that can be done about it. If this perception bothers a person, they probably would not be wise to buy any BMW.

Some on this site and others buy them because they are a fine handling car, fun to drive and reasonable good for resale values. These buyers really do not give a rat's a$$ what others think of their choice. They are secure in their own situations and do not need a "status" car to bolster their egos.

I bought my first BMW in 1971. In those days, there was zero status in owning that "funny and expensive little foreign car". No one, except a very small number, knew what a BMW was or even what the letters B-M-W stood for. How times have changed, and not always for the better. The cars themselves have improved, but now they carry a connotation that is unfortunate, but not totally undeserved. I think it is sad to see ppl either buy or not buy a BMW because of what other's will think of their purchase.  :(

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 01:37:36 pm »

Some on this site and others buy them because they are a fine handling car, fun to drive and reasonable good for resale values. These buyers really do not give a rat's a$$ what others think of their choice. They are secure in their own situations and do not need a "status" car to bolster their egos.

I fall in this category.  I am not a typical sharp dressed BMW owner and I love using my turn signals.  I stayed away from BMW for a while because of the stigma but once I spent some time behind the wheel I had to have one.  Nothing on the market in the price range drives like it IMO.  A couple of years old with CPO these cars are an awsome deal!