Author Topic: Auto Tech: Oils that save fuel  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Oils that save fuel
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:04:18 am »
Lighter viscosity engine oil, such as 0W-20 synthetic engine oil, is being specified by many vehicle manufacturers as a way of reducing fuel consumption, reports Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.  How? "Reduced internal engine friction...improves fuel economy," he says.
Read More...

Richard

Re: Auto Tech: Oils that save fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:03:39 am »
I am currently using synthetic 5W-30 on my Subaru Legacy.
Can I switch to 0W-20 safely?

Richard

John Meyer

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:09:54 am »
Ditto Richard's question on my '05 Echo.

I've been using full synthetic since Mobile 1 came out (or I became aware of it) in the late '70s.

Just a huge difference in cold weather starting and a distinct reduction in engine noise.

I'm game for moving from 5/20 to 0/20 if Jim give the OK.

In the summer I'm currently getting just about 5.0 L/100k in the Echo.  If the 0/20 could push this to 4 something, I'd be thrilled.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:48 am »
..MOBIL 1 PRESS RELEASE...OR.......REALITY........how much more is synth 0/20.....and why are these "BOUNDARY" areas he speaks of.....where older oils are implied to FAIL......not burning up older designs by 100,000Kms !!???...wafflegab......................more facts please.............less regurgitation............these fine tolerance newer engines will have less distance for "touching" of metal to metal,,,(See F1 engines...barely lasting 500KM's!!!).....old dino sh*t kept V8 's and olde  Volvos running up to 1 Million klicks... :think: :nono: :stick:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

msantos

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:03 am »
Hi Jim;

Thank you for yet another great and very accurate article.

One thing I would like to add is that you do not need to choose  Mobil 1 0W20 or another equally expensive 0W20 full-synthetic to get the many benefits this oil weight can offer.

If you own a Toyota or Honda you can get manufacturer branded 0W20 oil that is just $1-2$ more expensive than their regular oils and significantly less expensive than Mobil 1 0W20.  This oil is usually referred to a "blend" and on most vehicles, offers most if not all of benefits of a fully synthetic at a lower price point.

With the tighter tolerances build into today's modern engines the 0W20 oil weight should not be just a requirement for hybrids any more.  The bulk of the non-hybrid vehicles sold today as well as their owners (and us all) could benefit from a greater use of these blended 0W20 oils.

Again, we are talking about dramatically lower engine wear, better all year performance, particularly for the colder provinces... and significant improvements in fuel economy with equally lower emissions.

Finally, and as you stated:  It is true that many good folks in the automotive service industry continue to advise against the use of 0W20 especially for winter time operation.  This is not only sad but also an indicator that they lack the information and the inability to seek it out (if not for their own professional competency, at least for the benefit of their customers).

Cheers;

MSantos
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:43:18 am by msantos »

John Meyer

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:21:53 pm »
I checked with the local Toyota service manager and he gave the thumbs up to 0/20 in an '05 Echo. 

So next oil change, in it goes!

Cheers,
John Meyer