Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal  (Read 48379 times)

CatsEye68

Re: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2010, 09:11:52 am »
Looks like your fanboy buddy Catseye didn't know the Canadian price either - maybe you should go chastise him for not doing his research before posting.

Holy crap! Now I'm buddies with artic jr.? I don't think so. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", huh? Hilarious how you turn nasty so quickly. :o

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2010, 09:40:04 am »
^^I didn't see pricing for the turbo on GM Canada's website.  Is it there now?

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/buick/regal/model-detail02-key-features

Price is at the top. from $34990 MSRP

I didn't see that when I first checked, either.  That's an encouraging starting point, but since the non-turbo Regal can reach $39k (while starting at 32k), I feel confident in predicting we'll see many a turbo model priced WELL north of that starting figure.  A couple pre-production reviews I've read on the turbo make it sound very promising indeed.

The web site won't let you "build and price" a turbo Regal, so as it stands, we really don't know much on the pricing front.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2010, 10:09:29 am »
Do you mean you didn't know all along that in fact the Regal 2.0T 6A/T (and more goodies) is already priced at $35K?
You've been quite active on this thread so I would've thought you've done your research before posting.

No, I didn't know that was the price - what's your source of information?  Looks like your fanboy buddy Catseye didn't know the Canadian price either - maybe you should go chastise him for not doing his research before posting.  :rofl:

Jaeger

I posted the price on Page 5, a post you've been vocal on. The TURBO model and the PRICE was the foundation for my argument.... I laughed at your kindergarten excuse "...Catseye didn't know the Canadian price either" and your pathetic attempt to call me fanboy. Grow some balls man! Fine, you've been trolling for some time, but admit it and move on. Today is another day.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2010, 10:28:32 am »
I posted the price on Page 5, a post you've been vocal on. The TURBO model and the PRICE was the foundation for my argument.... I laughed at your kindergarten excuse "...Catseye didn't know the Canadian price either" and your pathetic attempt to call me fanboy. Grow some balls man! Fine, you've been trolling for some time, but admit it and move on. Today is another day.

Sorry, but I haven't seen you make anything resembling a reasoned argument.  I'm interested in discussing the car - rant all you want, I'm not taking the bait.

A $35k turbo Buick sounds good.  A $43k turbo Buick doesn't.  We'll just have to see how the pricing shakes out.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:32:07 am by Jaeger »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2010, 10:43:47 am »

About 1K more than a comparably equipped Passat Comfortline.
Right on line with a TSX Cyl Auto

Like I said I expect a bit more from a "new competitor" in the segment either better engine or substantially more content for the price or a vastly superior car for same price. Buick doesn't compete in this category right now so you aren't grabbing current Buick customers you are stealing them from the competition.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
The turbo engine is quiet and refined, with progressive power delivery. It’s not a startlingly fast car, but passing power is decent, and it feels competitive with the likes of an Audi A4 2.0T and the four-cylinder TSX
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/4337715

This does not encourage me. The 4cyl TSX is a slug. I'd expect the pricier regal Turbo to be much better than the 4cyl TSX in fact it should be approaching the V6 TSX if they wish to compete on a price value equation. I have not driven the car and I even like the look (except for the Buick grille which I hate on everything but I hate Acura's grille too) but the egine offerings are frankly a notch too low for me.

Turbo should be standard giving slightly more grunt than competing engines (VW audi 2.0t and Acura 2.4 l) The uplevel models should have a more powerful turbo on par with the upcoing Sonata Turbo 270 hp that is rumored to start at 27k US.

I'd certainly have expected a turbo Regal to outpace a normally aspirated TSX.  No doubt we'll see a comparison test with some hard numbers down the road.

And I'm definitely looking forward to some full test numbers on the turbo Sonata.  It looks to be  playing a VERY strong hand in power, fuel economy and price.
Jaeger

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2010, 02:18:35 pm »
why is everyone wants to read a test but they will not go and drive the car ::)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2010, 02:25:43 pm »

Tell me where in the GTA I can go drive a stickshift Regal turbo and I'm there.

Jaeger

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »

About 1K more than a comparably equipped Passat Comfortline.
Right on line with a TSX Cyl Auto

Like I said I expect a bit more from a "new competitor" in the segment either better engine or substantially more content for the price or a vastly superior car for same price. Buick doesn't compete in this category right now so you aren't grabbing current Buick customers you are stealing them from the competition.

It depends on how you look at it. If you factor in the equipment level for each car, and I assumed you would expect leather in a premium midsize car, the prices would look more like this:

Passat 2.0T Highline w/DSG - $38,175 (the Comfortline comes with leatherette)
Acura TSX Premium Auto - $37,590 (the base TSX comes with cloth)
Regal 2.0T 6A/T - $34,990

As I noted before, the Regal 2.0 Turbo does not have HIDs at $35K while the other two do have them, but the HIDs are offered on Regal 2.0 Turbo. An adjustable suspension is also available on this model. I could not find the prices though.

On the other hand, the Audi A4 Auto and Infiniti G37 start at around $38.5K IIRC. Would ANY of the "premium" cars above make much sense? Maybe yes or maybe not; it depends on each individual.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:31:22 pm by carcrazy »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2010, 08:29:24 pm »

Sorry...when I said "turbo" I was thinking GS model.

My bad.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2010, 08:31:26 pm »

No turbo here either....turbo this time, I mean the CXL model.  They do have 4 "regular" Regals on the lot though...

Saw them 10 minutes ago...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »

No turbo here either....turbo this time, I mean the CXL model.  They do have 4 "regular" Regals on the lot though...

I thought the turbo was supposed to be later in the model year?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2010, 10:31:00 pm »

I thought the turbo was supposed to be later in the model year?

That could be...no idea what the exact timeline is.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41:56 pm »
Now Buick is offering MORE than some of the competition, but you also have to pay MORE to get it....at least as far as the Regal is concerned.

When you made the above statement, what brand/models did you consider as some of the competition for Regal?

I meant it mostly in general terms for Buick as a whole.  The "base" Buicks seem to come fairly well equipped (but in this case especially so for the Regal).

I'm trying trying to figure out exactly what class the Regal fits into.  It's priced substantially more than "family" sedans, yet offers more base equipment.  Yet it doesn't quite climb the ladder into the full premium category.

Once the 2.0T Regal gets here, it's going to be painfully close in price to BMWs, Infinitis, Genesis sedan, etc.  Will people shopping in that segment look to a Buick?  We'll see...

Be interesting to see. Buick already outsells every brand you mentioned, except BMW, but will the old Buick customers and new Buick customers see eye to eye? Can they make cars that appeal to both generations of buyers?

In the US, the base CXL is  $26,246, while the fully loaded runs $31030. The Genesis Sedan starts at $33,000. The TSX is $29,310. G37 runs $33,250. So Buick has placed itself in the lower end of that category. If the car actually drives as well as any of the above, and their customers keep an open mind, they should be competitive.

Isn't that what the Allure is all about? Sure it's the new Buick styling and it looks fantastic but it's also a big car and comfortable car with a V6 option. My thought would be that the Allure should be able to pick up previous Buick buyers... The Regal is definitely aimed younger than that but the two seem to complement each other fairly well.

Not convinced

« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2010, 12:36:18 am »

IMHO the Regal makes sense to fit into Buick's portfolio. They need a car like this and why waste spending money on a vehicle that has already been designed and is sold in another market. This does happen with plenty of car companies... not just GM.  I hate the duplication that they have done with some of their models but this one is much more sensible.

The Insignia already gets a rebadge in Europe under both Vauxhall (UK) and Opel (rest of Europe) so why not Buick be the North American variation. That's not really false advertising.

I think it's good to see GM (and Ford) finally utilize their global nature.

No point in debating with John (Not Convinced). He is an anti-GM troll who only shows up here when he can say something negative about a GM product. He is best ignored.

Really??  I suppose your position can't withstand scrutiny or debate.  Tell me little Erik, did you ever play competitive sports?  I read that in 50 years, everyone will turn female, in your case it is now.

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • car nut, hockey fan and dog lover
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 BMW 335I, 2005 Ford Focus, 2001 Ford Ranger
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »
After seeing three on Winnipeg streets in the last week, I had a look at a Regal. McNaught GMC has three in stock.

Fabulous. Maybe because I had low expectations I wasn't expecting anything much. I would love to test the Turbo version, but for now let's just say the little 4-banger did a fine job. The transmission shifts quietly and smoothly and never strained to do it's job.

This car is not about the numbers, it's about the total package, and how it just feels right. Without a doubt the best assembled GM vehicle I've seen in some time. All of the body panels line up. All of the stitching in the seats is even, clean and neat. The door shuts with a very nice sound, and the friggin' car is very quiet inside. I can't remember the last time a GM car was this well put together. It's going to score very high on the JD Powers initial quality test for sure.

Sure, the trunk opening could be larger, and it could use more headroom in the rear, and the switchgear could be more substantive, but this is one very competent car.

If the Regal is a sign of what's to come from GM, and Buick, the future looks a little brighter for them. This car will give GM some conquest sales, and I don't think it's going to cannabalize Malibu, Impala or LaCrosse sales as it's a very different car, intead, the Regal should conquest some Acura and Lexus sales.

A seriously good car. GM's best effort on a Buick car in twenty years or more.
"It's a great day for hockey!" "Badger" Bob Johnson

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2010, 05:12:27 pm »

IMHO the Regal makes sense to fit into Buick's portfolio. They need a car like this and why waste spending money on a vehicle that has already been designed and is sold in another market. This does happen with plenty of car companies... not just GM.  I hate the duplication that they have done with some of their models but this one is much more sensible.

The Insignia already gets a rebadge in Europe under both Vauxhall (UK) and Opel (rest of Europe) so why not Buick be the North American variation. That's not really false advertising.

No point in debating with John (Not Convinced). He is an anti-GM troll who only shows up here when he can say something negative about a GM product. He is best ignored.

Really??  I suppose your position can't withstand scrutiny or debate.  Tell me little Erik, did you ever play competitive sports?  I read that in 50 years, everyone will turn female, in your case it is now.

If you're such a man, then why do you have to hide behind a new alias every few weeks?

Not Convinced

« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2010, 05:56:17 pm »

If you're such a man, then why do you have to hide behind a new alias every few weeks?

I tried like hell to convince my wife to buy one of these (Pontiac G8), but fuel economy won out over me wanting to do burnouts, so no dice.  The resale prices that I've seen on these is insane.  I swear when I was looking late last year, the prices were almost sticker just because you couldn't buy them anymore.  I drove a V6 one back to back with a V6 Charger and the steering and suspension are in another league.

So you bought the 4 cyl malibu instead.  :think:
You, Mozeby, are the man! (sarcasm).

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2010, 06:09:27 pm »
ENOUGH!

Get back on topic, and stop with personal attacks.  Use the ignore button if you have to.  I will be watching this thread and will ban the next person who cannot meet with this request.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2010, 06:15:59 pm »
..that stinks..................
Time is to stop everything happening at once