Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal  (Read 48377 times)

Not Convinced

Re: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2010, 10:51:29 am »
I was merely questioning the price point/value of the Regal.

They need a car like this and why waste spending money on a vehicle that has already been designed and is sold in another market.

I disagree, if rebadging the Opel as a Buick was not "waste spending money", the price point would not be an issue, but it is.  The rebadged Opel or duplication is not cost effective for GM.  The point is, the Buick brand has little to no appeal, so the price point becomes the issue, so why use the Buick brand.  Keep the Opel badge on the car and perhaps it may attract or convince younger consumers.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2010, 11:45:13 am »

IMHO the Regal makes sense to fit into Buick's portfolio. They need a car like this and why waste spending money on a vehicle that has already been designed and is sold in another market. This does happen with plenty of car companies... not just GM.  I hate the duplication that they have done with some of their models but this one is much more sensible.

The Insignia already gets a rebadge in Europe under both Vauxhall (UK) and Opel (rest of Europe) so why not Buick be the North American variation. That's not really false advertising.

I think it's good to see GM (and Ford) finally utilize their global nature.

No point in debating with John (Not Convinced). He is an anti-GM troll who only shows up here when he can say something negative about a GM product. He is best ignored.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »
Maybe they should have called it the Wildcat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Wildcat

CatsEye68

« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2010, 01:23:48 pm »
Unlike Jaegermeister, I have driven the Regal. It is a lovely car. Comfortable, supportive seats, quiet, smooth ride, handles very well, and the power is more than adequate. With the Turbo 2.0 it will be even more appealing. And when the GS arrives, look out. It is a substantial car. Would I buy one? Absolutely. Would I buy a Sonata? Maybe, but they are very different kinds of cars. The Sonata is more of a family sedan while the Regal is much more of a Euro-feeling automobile, closer to an Audi. While some people may cross-shop the two, I suspect the majority of Sonata buyers do not go to Buick showrooms and vice-versa. I like both Hyundais and Buicks. I just feel they do not compete against each other very much.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2010, 01:39:39 pm »
Why is this overtaxed, but the 2.4 in the TSX isn't?

Because it produces more horsepower and has to motivate fewer pounds.

And you're not stuck with a 4-pot in the TSX, you can get a V6 - or didn't you know?

Jaeger

It produces more horsepower (on Prem) but equal Torque (what actually matters).  More HP only matters if it's readily available at a normal, everday RPM, not the typical Honda 6000+ to actually get to that power.

And the V6 basically = a turbo 4.  The 2.0 turbo in the Regal makes about 260 lb/ft of torque which is about the same as the V6 in the TSX, and gets better fuel economy.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2010, 02:10:55 pm »
BUICK COHIBA...that sux...................and blows out at the same time............do ya remove tha "rings" first............ :stick:..BUT..IF it appeals to a younger audience ................................ :P
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:12:43 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

CatsEye68

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »
BUICK COHIBA...that sux...................and blows out at the same time............do ya remove tha "rings" first...........

Nah, that would be a Subaru Cohiba... the one with the designed-in piston slap that needs new rings at 50K.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »
Now Buick is offering MORE than some of the competition, but you also have to pay MORE to get it....at least as far as the Regal is concerned.

When you made the above statement, what brand/models did you consider as some of the competition for Regal?

I meant it mostly in general terms for Buick as a whole.  The "base" Buicks seem to come fairly well equipped (but in this case especially so for the Regal).

I'm trying trying to figure out exactly what class the Regal fits into.  It's priced substantially more than "family" sedans, yet offers more base equipment.  Yet it doesn't quite climb the ladder into the full premium category.

Once the 2.0T Regal gets here, it's going to be painfully close in price to BMWs, Infinitis, Genesis sedan, etc.  Will people shopping in that segment look to a Buick?  We'll see...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2010, 03:20:37 pm »
Once the 2.0T Regal gets here, it's going to be painfully close in price to BMWs, Infinitis, Genesis sedan, etc.  Will people shopping in that segment look to a Buick?  We'll see...

That's exactly what concerns me.  Everyone keeps saying how great the turbo will be - and it does sound appealing.  But the pricing of the normally aspirated model makes me wonder just how high the turbo will cimb.  I really can't see myself passing on a 330hp Infiniti G37 for a 220hp Buick if they are within walking distance in price. I'm not saying power output is everything, but I think you have my point.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »
While I Do not pretend to understand why GM felt that the Buick brand was better then Pontiac to grow on

The Buick brand is huge in China, and GM sells more cars in China than the US now.

I think what Buick does in the US is considered a bonus.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »
Now Buick is offering MORE than some of the competition, but you also have to pay MORE to get it....at least as far as the Regal is concerned.

When you made the above statement, what brand/models did you consider as some of the competition for Regal?

I meant it mostly in general terms for Buick as a whole.  The "base" Buicks seem to come fairly well equipped (but in this case especially so for the Regal).

I'm trying trying to figure out exactly what class the Regal fits into.  It's priced substantially more than "family" sedans, yet offers more base equipment.  Yet it doesn't quite climb the ladder into the full premium category.

Be interesting to see. Buick already outsells every brand you mentioned, except BMW, but will the old Buick customers and new Buick customers see eye to eye? Can they make cars that appeal to both generations of buyers?

In the US, the base CXL is  $26,246, while the fully loaded runs $31030. The Genesis Sedan starts at $33,000. The TSX is $29,310. G37 runs $33,250. So Buick has placed itself in the lower end of that category. If the car actually drives as well as any of the above, and their customers keep an open mind, they should be competitive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »
^^That's the Turbo price, Erik?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »

Nope. The Turbo will be the GS. THis is the regular sedan.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2010, 05:52:03 pm »
....driving miss Dee Wee crazy.........

CatsEye68

« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »

Nope. The Turbo will be the GS. THis is the regular sedan.

Not exactly correct. The Turbo model is not the GS model. Pricing for the turbo CXL is $2000 over the regular CXL in the US, not sure about up here. The pricing for the GS, which has even more equipment, has not been announced to my knowledge.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »

That's exactly what concerns me.  Everyone keeps saying how great the turbo will be - and it does sound appealing.  But the pricing of the normally aspirated model makes me wonder just how high the turbo will cimb.  I really can't see myself passing on a 330hp Infiniti G37 for a 220hp Buick if they are within walking distance in price. I'm not saying power output is everything, but I think you have my point.

Jaeger

Do you mean you didn't know all along that in fact the Regal 2.0T 6A/T (and more goodies) is already priced at $35K?
You've been quite active on this thread so I would've thought you've done your research before posting.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:47:32 pm by carcrazy »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2010, 02:33:22 am »
^^I didn't see pricing for the turbo on GM Canada's website.  Is it there now?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2010, 06:13:50 am »
Do you mean you didn't know all along that in fact the Regal 2.0T 6A/T (and more goodies) is already priced at $35K?
You've been quite active on this thread so I would've thought you've done your research before posting.

No, I didn't know that was the price - what's your source of information?  Looks like your fanboy buddy Catseye didn't know the Canadian price either - maybe you should go chastise him for not doing his research before posting.  :rofl:

Jaeger

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2010, 08:16:35 am »
The turbo engine is quiet and refined, with progressive power delivery. It’s not a startlingly fast car, but passing power is decent, and it feels competitive with the likes of an Audi A4 2.0T and the four-cylinder TSX
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/4337715

This does not encourage me. The 4cyl TSX is a slug. I'd expect the pricier regal Turbo to be much better than the 4cyl TSX in fact it should be approaching the V6 TSX if they wish to compete on a price value equation. I have not driven the car and I even like the look (except for the Buick grille which I hate on everything but I hate Acura's grille too) but the egine offerings are frankly a notch too low for me.

Turbo should be standard giving slightly more grunt than competing engines (VW audi 2.0t and Acura 2.4 l) The uplevel models should have a more powerful turbo on par with the upcoing Sonata Turbo 270 hp that is rumored to start at 27k US.

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:42 am »
^^I didn't see pricing for the turbo on GM Canada's website.  Is it there now?

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/buick/regal/model-detail02-key-features

Price is at the top. from $34990 MSRP
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)