Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal  (Read 48378 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »
Speaking of the other Buick cars in the line-up, they need to quickly get rid of that old car from the past - Lucerne. What's its purpose anyway? They now have both mid-size and full size segments covered with new products.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually seen a negative review of the Regal yet?

Yes:

They didn't?  *I* did and I think I said so already.  I'm too lazy to go back and look.  And I think I said I was underwhelmed by everything about the car.  I have no lingering positive feeling compelling me to go back for a 2nd look.  I just saw one on the local qwikie mart parking lot and it was "mehhh".  I told the salesman to give me a call when a turbo comes in.  If I find something else in the meantime I'll buy that.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2010, 06:48:23 pm »
Speaking of the other Buick cars in the line-up, they need to quickly get rid of that old car from the past - Lucerne. What's its purpose anyway? They now have both mid-size and full size segments covered with new products.

They were planing on replacing the Lucerne with something on the Zeta platform (Camaro,G8) but when they pulled the plug on the Zeta in North America, the Lucerne went into overtime as a stop-gap measure.  I doubt they have a replacement planned before 2013-2014.

We could have had something like this:
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2010, 07:00:47 pm »

Maybe it is cheap to build? Basically the same car, and comes down the same line, as the Cadillac DTS. Actually, basically the same car as the Bonneville that debuted as 2000. I know it was the top selling full size car in the US during it's early years. You still see tons of them down there. Apparently quite reliable also. One last car for the old timers?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

CatsEye68

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2010, 08:33:02 pm »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually seen a negative review of the Regal yet?

Yes:

They didn't?  *I* did and I think I said so already.  I'm too lazy to go back and look.  And I think I said I was underwhelmed by everything about the car.  I have no lingering positive feeling compelling me to go back for a 2nd look.  I just saw one on the local qwikie mart parking lot and it was "mehhh".  I told the salesman to give me a call when a turbo comes in.  If I find something else in the meantime I'll buy that.

Jaeger

I think he was talking about something from somewhere other than the peanut gallery. You know where that place is.

And to think that I get accused of trolling. I guess if you attack a GM brand you're not a troll regardless of how many times you post ridiculous/outrageous statements in a thread.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »

Yes:

Jaeger

I think he was talking about something from somewhere other than the peanut gallery. You know where that place is.

And to think that I get accused of trolling. I guess if you attack a GM brand you're not a troll regardless of how many times you post ridiculous/outrageous statements in a thread.

I don’t collectively view my fellow forumites with such disdainful condescension as to describe them – repeatedly – as “the peanut gallery”.  I generally value their input.  Some more than others.  A few, not at all.

This fellow drove the car and reported his impressions.  How is that trolling?

You have not driven the car – yet you have been jumping down the throat of anyone who refuses to accept that it's just the bestest car ever.  How is that not trolling?

Jaeger

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2010, 08:51:55 pm »
Who in their right mind would compare a Buick 'grandpa-mobile' Regal to a VW Passat and an Acura TSX?

People who understand that the Regal it is NOT your traditional Buick, but literally an Opel Insignia with interchangeable grill and badges.

In Europe, Opel Insignia competes head-to-head with Passat, Accord (TSX), Mondeo and it has been highly praised since its arrival.
Now, if you have proof that the vehicle’s dynamics have been altered despite GM’s claim, that’s a different story. Nobody here drove this car yet (especially the Turbo version) so at this time I would go by what the media (Euro) reports.
What do you go by when you claim this particular car is a 'grandpa-mobile'?

I don't have anything bad to say against the Regal; I'm sure it'll be a nice car... but Buick=old people. It doesn't matter if they came out with a Buick Corvette, it'd still be a Buick.

:iagree:
Name associations with the words "Buick Regal"
-squishy velour seats.
-lazy handling.
-steering feel like it's connected to the road through a damp rope.
-bumper stickers proclaiming "My grandchild was student of the month."

Remove the Buick name and things might be different.

Welcome back, John. Nice to see your anti-GM trolling under a different name now.

I know, does this guy think to himself "Man I'll really fool them this time."  Lesson 1 Putz, you're the only guy on here who always puts that stupid "I agree" icon on every other posting.
That and the fact you always show up to every GM review to write your typical Debbie Downer quotes.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:09 pm »
I had no idea this thing was so pricey.  I'm almost scared to ask, but if it starts at 32 / 33k, where does it top out?

That 33k doesn't get you anything better than an overtaxed 4-banger?

Wow.

Jaeger

Why is this overtaxed, but the 2.4 in the TSX isn't? Plus the 2.4 in the Buick runs on regular, but the Acura on premium.  And I'm sure the TSX costs even more, because we all know GM loves to give discounts and it takes a Global economic meltdown for Honda to give a sale.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2010, 09:17:40 pm »
Why is this overtaxed, but the 2.4 in the TSX isn't?

Because it produces more horsepower and has to motivate fewer pounds.

And you're not stuck with a 4-pot in the TSX, you can get a V6 - or didn't you know?

Jaeger

Not Convinced

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2010, 09:46:47 pm »
Why is this overtaxed, but the 2.4 in the TSX isn't?

Because it produces more horsepower and has to motivate fewer pounds.

And you're not stuck with a 4-pot in the TSX, you can get a V6 - or didn't you know?

Jaeger

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

there, just for you mozeby...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2010, 11:10:59 pm »
FWIW, I think these Buicks...actually the entire line of "new" Buicks are the best line in the GM line-up as far a quality, design and beautiful/functional interiors.  Regal, LaCrosse, Enclave.

I was merely questioning the price point/value of the Regal.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »
FWIW, I think these Buicks...actually the entire line of "new" Buicks are the best line in the GM line-up as far a quality, design and beautiful/functional interiors.  Regal, LaCrosse, Enclave.

What do you think about the 2.0 Turbo model at $35K? Good, bad, average value?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:38:12 pm by carcrazy »

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2010, 11:25:07 pm »

It seems to me that this car is Branded a Buick, rather then an Opel, because GM is hoping and believing that it will help start the rehabilatation of the Buick brand just as the CTS has improved the public perception of the Cadillac brand. While I Do not pretend to understand why GM felt that the Buick brand was better then Pontiac to grow on, once they made that decision and decided that the Buick brand would be positioned As the luxury brand between Chevrolet as the volume brand and Cadillac as ultimately the premium luxury brand, then a car like this was inevitable.

To say Buick will always be viewed as a Grandparents car is not looking at the long term history of cars. For example I had a friend who bought a brand spanking new 85 (ish) Hyundai Pony. A horrid little thing that wouldn't give heat in the winter because of its useless plastic heater core, had to have the carb beat on to get the choke to work when he needed to start it in the cold (something i got quit good at)and rotted away so quickly that when he hit a mail box at 35 mile an hour when it was 2 years old the insurance company wrote it off. Its problems weren't unique to that one car but infected all of them. If you could go back in time to 86 you would find that Hyundai was thought to be far worse then Lada, which at least would give you heat if you could get it to start. 25 years later Hyundai is considered one of the best brands and has been for a number of years. Buick is going to have to rebuild their image in the same way, by building cars that are much better (and more entertaining) then the previous models. That it can be done and perhaps even with in 8 to 10 years is reasonably achievable, in my mind, Given the history of Regal Grand Nationals and late sixty muscle cars they could use in advertising to high light a performance heritage if that was how they decided to position themselves . To me the only questions are if the new Regal will be good enough to move toward this goal and if GM has the where withal to take 10 years to rebuild the brand image.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »

Yes:

Jaeger

At least you're paying attention Jaeger.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2010, 04:41:23 am »

That's my basic point as well.  I'm not saying the car is a POS - quite the contrary - it's one I'm considering as a next purchase.  But I'm stumbling over the value equation. 

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2010, 07:49:53 am »

That's my basic point as well.  I'm not saying the car is a POS - quite the contrary - it's one I'm considering as a next purchase.  But I'm stumbling over the value equation. 

Jaeger

And I think the value proposition IS important, regardless of how nice the cars look.  Let's be honest...in the past,  nobody was knocking down Buick's door to buy a premium sporty sedan.  I also think some of the old Buick stigma remains, whether people here acknowledge it or not.  So Buick has to do something to pull those customers into the showroom who normally would consider Imports in this segment.  And IMO, price is a BIG consideration in this segment.

Buick is re-inventing itself just like Hyundai has in the last couple of years.  But Hyundai has continued to offer MORE than the competition for LESS money, which is why they've been successful.  Now Buick is offering MORE than some of the competition, but you also have to pay MORE to get it....at least as far as the Regal is concerned.

I guess we'll see how receptive the consumer is to Buick's approach.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2010, 09:43:57 am »
Now Buick is offering MORE than some of the competition, but you also have to pay MORE to get it....at least as far as the Regal is concerned.

When you made the above statement, what brand/models did you consider as some of the competition for Regal?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2010, 09:49:03 am »
Buick is re-inventing itself just like Hyundai has in the last couple of years.  But Hyundai has continued to offer MORE than the competition for LESS money, which is why they've been successful.  Now Buick is offering MORE than some of the competition, but you also have to pay MORE to get it....at least as far as the Regal is concerned.

Bingo.  Give that man a Cohiba.

Jaeger

Not Convinced

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:17 am »

Jaeger

And I think the value proposition IS important, regardless of how nice the cars look.  Let's be honest...in the past,  nobody was knocking down Buick's door to buy a premium sporty sedan.  I also think some of the old Buick stigma remains, whether people here acknowledge it or not.  So Buick has to do something to pull those customers into the showroom who normally would consider Imports in this segment.  And IMO, price is a BIG consideration in this segment.

:iagree: (for you mozeby), EXCEPT with the re-inventing part.  IMO GM is not re-inventing new cars, and now is in the mere rebadge mode.  Merely slapping new headlights and grill on an Opel and calling it better, or can compete with.....Is what you call old fashioned false advertisement.  It's going to take a whole lot more to convince the majority of consumers.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2010, 10:17:48 am »

Jaeger

:iagree: (for you mozeby), EXCEPT with the re-inventing part.  IMO GM is not re-inventing new cars, and now is in the mere rebadge mode.  Merely slapping new headlights and grill on an Opel and calling it better, or can compete with.....Is what you call old fashioned false advertisement.  It's going to take a whole lot more to convince the majority of consumers.
IMHO the Regal makes sense to fit into Buick's portfolio. They need a car like this and why waste spending money on a vehicle that has already been designed and is sold in another market. This does happen with plenty of car companies... not just GM.  I hate the duplication that they have done with some of their models but this one is much more sensible.

The Insignia already gets a rebadge in Europe under both Vauxhall (UK) and Opel (rest of Europe) so why not Buick be the North American variation. That's not really false advertising.

I think it's good to see GM (and Ford) finally utilize their global nature.