Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal  (Read 48345 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 12:38:52 pm »
The sad thing is that the manual tranny offered in the US won't make it here  >:(

With my wife having a crush on the Enclave, a Regal with stick could make us a two-Buick family (and I really never thought I'd say that one day !).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »
The sad thing is that the manual tranny offered in the US won't make it here  >:(

Seriously?  Well, there goes the one reason I might have had for picking this over the Sonata.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 02:56:14 pm »

Seriously?  Well, there goes the one reason I might have had for picking this over the Sonata.

Jaeger

It was mentioned here a while ago, and GM's website only talks of the slushbox.  Sticks are fast becoming scarce ... Mazda 6GT 4cyl. and 2010 Passat are just about the non-base midsize sedans available with a proper transmission (the Legacy GT's price matches a 323i's  ::) ).  Let's hope VW keeps a manual option for the upcoming, larger "American Passat".

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »

Jaeger

It was mentioned here a while ago, and GM's website only talks of the slushbox.  Sticks are fast becoming scarce ... Mazda 6GT 4cyl. and 2010 Passat are just about the non-base midsize sedans available with a proper transmission (the Legacy GT's price matches a 323i's  ::) ).  Let's hope VW keeps a manual option for the upcoming, larger "American Passat".

Fear not, the manual is coming for the Turbo, and available on all Turbo trims!
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »

Jaeger

Let's hope you're right, as I have read the opposite.  IIRC, Buick's Canadian website mentions the turbo engine, but no sign of the manual.  It is, however, an "intro" to the car and some usual details are missing.

CatsEye68

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »
And then there's the styling.  Or perhaps I should say, "And then where's the styling?"  Nothing offensive or ugly about it (that's good) but you could post an image of this car, inside and out, in the dictionary under "generic family sedan" (that's not good).  Again, a curious choice when seeking to appeal to the sport / performance-minded buyer in the midsize sedan segment.

You obviously have not seen one of these up close, as it is an extremely good-looking design. Muscular, wide stance, smooth lines with just the right amount of character. Hardly "generic". I'll take mine in Quicksilver Metallic, please.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »
I can't wait to see a new Regal with a landau top and whitewalls.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »

Jaeger

Let's hope you're right, as I have read the opposite.  IIRC, Buick's Canadian website mentions the turbo engine, but no sign of the manual.  It is, however, an "intro" to the car and some usual details are missing.

I'm sure any dealer would be happy to take your deposit next month for a Turbo Manual ;)
Need to have more enthusiasts put their money on the manuals many claim to desire.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:06:30 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »
And then there's the styling.  Or perhaps I should say, "And then where's the styling?"  Nothing offensive or ugly about it (that's good) but you could post an image of this car, inside and out, in the dictionary under "generic family sedan" (that's not good).  Again, a curious choice when seeking to appeal to the sport / performance-minded buyer in the midsize sedan segment.

You obviously have not seen one of these up close, as it is an extremely good-looking design. Muscular, wide stance, smooth lines with just the right amount of character. Hardly "generic". I'll take mine in Quicksilver Metallic, please.

Or it could be that I have seen one, and the term "extremely good looking" never entered my mind.  There's certainly nothing in these photos brings that phrase to mind, either.  As for "character" well, we clearly have a different understanding of the term.  There is literally nothing I can see that, in terms of style and aesthetics, sets this car apart within it segment in any meaningful way.

If you like it - great - GM needs actual customers and will be very happy to sell you one.

I will check one out in person IF it turns out that you can get the stick with turbo.  That would help soothe the sting of giving up 50hp, AND dynamic / distinctive styling, to the 2.0T Sonata. Or maybe not.

Jaeger

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 05:24:40 pm »
 Amended  conclusion  to my previous comments;

"In the mean time I'll stick to my roomier, just as quick, but slightly thirstier ( not by much ) already depreciated 10 year old low mileage orphan."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4441547250/

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 06:39:34 pm »
Really, numbers are meanless; it the feel in the seat of your pants is important

Your missing the point, if the author  cannot get this right then what else will he say?  I once saw a Nissan Rogue review with a 2.7L engine(Mr Graeme Fletcher, who else), I still looking for that model ;)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 06:41:15 pm »

Or it could be that I have seen one, and the term "extremely good looking" never entered my mind.  There's certainly nothing in these photos brings that phrase to mind, either.  As for "character" well, we clearly have a different understanding of the term.  There is literally nothing I can see that, in terms of style and aesthetics, sets this car apart within it segment in any meaningful way.

If you like it - great - GM needs actual customers and will be very happy to sell you one.

I will check one out in person IF it turns out that you can get the stick with turbo.  That would help soothe the sting of giving up 50hp, AND dynamic / distinctive styling, to the 2.0T Sonata. Or maybe not.

Jaeger

I saw one up close, does look good.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 07:08:27 pm »

Debating subjective perceptions remains a pointless exercise.  Some people think the Honda Crosstour is "beautiful" and "extremely good looking", too.  They are welcome to their opinions.  Mine is different.

Jaeger

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »

Debating subjective perceptions remains a pointless exercise.  Some people think the Honda Crosstour is "beautiful" and "extremely good looking", too.  They are welcome to their opinions.  Mine is different.

Jaeger

Agree

Vanstar

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »
The road from Osoyoos back to Vancouver would tax pretty any powertrain that is not a V-8, it is extremely hilly. It is also a perfect place to test handling, too. Not a road where you can take your mind off the road for an instant. Highway 3 is one road I avoid in winter unless I absolutely have to drive it.

As for the four cylinder engine offerings, with the CO2 regulations of the Obama administration set for a fleet average of 250 grammes per mile by 2016, we are only going to be seeing large V-6 and V-8 engines in vehicles that command much higher prices than the Regal.

Best of all is, I believe, the Regal is slated for production in Oshawa in 2012.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: GM
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 08:10:06 pm »
This looks to me like a cross-breed between Infiniti G37 and Suzuki Kizashi - especially at the rear end and wheels. Great mimic job, Government Motors.

Way better than the previous generation Buick Regal, nontheless.

:rofl:

Yeah, GM ran out and copied the Kizashi, even though the Insignia which looks much the same, came out in 2009!!

CatsEye68

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »
There is literally nothing I can see that, in terms of style and aesthetics, sets this car apart within it segment in any meaningful way.

Let me recommend a good optometrist to you then.

The problem with this car is not the car itself or the engine or the styling or the interior. The usual 70+ year-old Buick customers will find the 18" wheels, wide tires, and 4-cylinder engine a difficult pill to swallow.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 08:59:17 pm »
Let me recommend a good optometrist to you then.

Or perhaps for you, sisnce you clearly didn't see this earlier post.

Jaeger

You are welcome to your opinion.  Mine is different.  Trying to convince me that I should see the car as "extremely good looking" is just plain silly.

Jaeger

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 06:20:26 am »
I test drove this car last week and wanted to like it SO badly.  But -

It looks much nicer in the photographs.
It's underpowered with the standard 4.  Of course there's no turbo to test yet.
As expected and feared - its handling is soft.
The seats feel like hard leatherette (ie plastic).

There was just nothing memorable or exciting about it.  Nothing.

Check the pics of the same car, the 2009 Opel Insignia here - all 111 of them -

http://www.netcarshow.com/opel/2009-insignia/
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 07:47:12 am »
..PUT Lindsay LOHAN locked up in one fer 90 days and let's hear her side of the story.......... ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:24:08 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once