Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal  (Read 48380 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2010, 11:03:16 am »
Who in their right mind would compare a Buick 'grandpa-mobile' Regal to a VW Passat and an Acura TSX?

People who understand that the Regal it is NOT your traditional Buick, but literally an Opel Insignia with interchangeable grill and badges.

In Europe, Opel Insignia competes head-to-head with Passat, Accord (TSX), Mondeo and it has been highly praised since its arrival.
Now, if you have proof that the vehicle’s dynamics have been altered despite GM’s claim, that’s a different story. Nobody here drove this car yet (especially the Turbo version) so at this time I would go by what the media (Euro) reports.
What do you go by when you claim this particular car is a 'grandpa-mobile'?

I don't have anything bad to say against the Regal; I'm sure it'll be a nice car... but Buick=old people. It doesn't matter if they came out with a Buick Corvette, it'd still be a Buick.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2010, 11:14:37 am »
Jaeger
I think one has to physical drive the two before deciding if one is worth the increase

Nonsense. Jaeger is able to deem it a failure without seeing one or even getting within several miles of one, just by reading spec sheets. He has 30+ posts in this thread to prove it, too. He seems to be a "quantity over quality" type of guy in more ways than one. And then of course the peanut gallery joins in for the chorus.

Oh stop crying.  What we say makes perfect sense.  Do you disagree that the LaCrosse seems the better value for $32k??  That's all we're saying....

Neither are bad, but I think the Regal is the better value car at $32K. For me, I prefer the appearance (which is subjective), and the interior is less form over function (although smaller, Regal seems to have the basic seating position, dash layout, etc executed better), and higher quality in terms of solidity and materials. Interior lighting is a tad less dramatic, but still present in many places. With equivalent equipment, the LaCrosse is quite a bit more too.

Look at the Regal next to a TSX and you'll be convinced the TSX is overpriced.
Put one next to a Passat CC and they're very comparable.

The Sonata Turbo will be a hot car, but keep in mind it's also undercutting just about every other competitor's price with style, performance, economy, equipment, and value. It's a great car, but I too would stop short of calling it a premium luxury vehicle. It's getting darn close though and with the savings one has to question what they value in a car.

But the Turbo engine is a near requirement for anyone who puts acceleration and driving enjoyment above just a quiet luxurious ride.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:23:24 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2010, 11:16:29 am »
@Jaeger:

I'm not a marketing professional by education, but I've had enough exposure to product design and development to know that any marketing plan states the intended market for the product (whatever the product is). Hence my references to the concept. I'm sure there are people on this forum that can confirm and elaborate on this. You can now continue to make ironic comments about this otherwise common sense concept…

GM identified the direct competitors for this car and the intended market and this is the reason I looked at those particular vehicles in order to get an idea how this vehicle is placed relative to them. This does not meant that you, as consumer, are constrained to only look at those particular models.

If GM will be successful to change Buick brand perception by introducing atypical cars for the brand, it's a different story, but only time will tell. Personally, I believe they need a lot of time to do it, mind you to be successful. So far, with only one out 4 models being atypical Buicks, I give them a very slim chance to succeed.

As far as I'm concerned, knowing what I know about this car itself, I would give it a closer look if I were in this market (which I'm not) - premium mid-size sedan. I think this car (2.0T model in particular) belongs to this market given its powertrain, feature set, design, grade and quality and I would definitely compare it with the other cars in the segment as listed.

If, hypothetically, I would like the car enough to buy it versus its competitors, I would change the badges and the grill before the car would leave the dealership. Yes, I would not like to drive a car with the Buick badge for the simple reason I have the same brand perception like you and many others do. Once the badge thing would be out of the way, I would probably enjoy the car for what it is.

It is pretty much similar with what more and more people do with the Genesis sedan.

Disclaimer: Before you label me as a GM fanboy, just so you know I'm not. Even more, I'm not a brand fanboy at all, no brand loyalty, etc.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:26:00 am by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:26 am »
Who in their right mind would compare a Buick 'grandpa-mobile' Regal to a VW Passat and an Acura TSX?

People who understand that the Regal it is NOT your traditional Buick, but literally an Opel Insignia with interchangeable grill and badges.

In Europe, Opel Insignia competes head-to-head with Passat, Accord (TSX), Mondeo and it has been highly praised since its arrival.
Now, if you have proof that the vehicle’s dynamics have been altered despite GM’s claim, that’s a different story. Nobody here drove this car yet (especially the Turbo version) so at this time I would go by what the media (Euro) reports.

I don't have anything bad to say against the Regal; I'm sure it'll be a nice car... but Buick=old people. It doesn't matter if they came out with a Buick Corvette, it'd still be a Buick.

I share the feeling about Buick (and Hyundai Genesis sedan too). The good part is you can swap the grill and the badges, just like Genesis sedan owners do.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2010, 11:24:44 am »

I share the feeling about Buick (and Hyundai Genesis sedan too). The good part is you can swap the grill and the badges, just like Genesis sedan owners do.

Do you consider Genesis 'old' (I don't... mature, yes because of it's size mainly and wood-ish interior... but not really old), or are you saying Hyundai has lingering brand baggage for many like Buick does? Or that Hyundai is not thought of as offering premium/luxury?

I would say Buick has far, far more to overcome in the minds of buyers than Hyundai. At least with younger buyers, which is the problem in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:26:47 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2010, 11:33:03 am »
Nobody here drove this car yet.

They didn't?  *I* did and I think I said so already.  I'm too lazy to go back and look.  And I think I said I was underwhelmed by everything about the car.  I have no lingering positive feeling compelling me to go back for a 2nd look.  I just saw one on the local qwikie mart parking lot and it was "mehhh".  I told the salesman to give me a call when a turbo comes in.  If I find something else in the meantime I'll buy that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:34:52 am by Wheelboy »
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2010, 11:34:56 am »

Do you consider Genesis 'old' (I don't... mature, yes because of it's size mainly and wood-ish interior... but not really old), or are you saying Hyundai has lingering brand baggage for many like Buick does? Or that Hyundai is not thought of as offering premium/luxury?

I would say Buick has far, far more to overcome in the minds of buyers than Hyundai. At least with younger buyers, which is the problem in the first place.

That's also my sentiment... Hyundai certainly has the 'budget/value' label to battle when it comes to selling premium/upscale vehicles such as the Genesis, but that's no where near as big of a battle as convincing people into buying from a brand who traditionnally catered to 70 year olds, most likely as their last vehicle.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2010, 11:39:24 am »

No, not at all.

Shnak said the perception is Buick=”old people”, which I share.
The parallel I made with Hyundai is Hyundai=Mainstream, regardless how luxurious two of their nameplates are - Genesis and the upcoming Equus.

I don't give much of a chance to Hyundai to change the market perception about the brand, just how I don't give Buick much of a chance to steer the brand perception away from "old people" brand. Not any time soon anyway.

It’s all about brand perception and it has nothing to do with how good the cars are.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:15:50 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:07 am »
Nobody here drove this car yet.

They didn't?  *I* did and I think I said so already.  I'm too lazy to go back and look.  And I think I said I was underwhelmed by everything about the car.  I have no lingering positive feeling compelling me to go back for a 2nd look.  I just saw one on the local qwikie mart parking lot and it was "mehhh".  I told the salesman to give me a call when a turbo comes in.  If I find something else in the meantime I'll buy that.

I think I was refering to the 2.0T model. This is the model that I believe and I said in my posts that is the one that seems to be competitive as-is.

The 2.4L I4 I would fully expect to be underwhelimg in terms of performance as indicated by the reviews.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:42:52 am by carcrazy »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2010, 12:15:31 pm »

Disclaimer: Before you label me as a GM fanboy, just so you know I'm not. Even more, I'm not a brand fanboy at all, no brand loyalty, etc.

Wow. What a weird place this is. Disclaimers need to be put on posts so that people won't think you actually like GM products. What a crime that would be!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually seen a negative review of the Regal yet?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »

Wow. What a weird place this is. Disclaimers need to be put on posts so that people won't think you actually like GM products. What a crime that would be!

I though I would just set the record straight. While I tend to like this particular car and I think it's a competitive product, I'm not a blind supporter of GM and their cars in general.
You've been here long enough to know that it doesn't  take long for some people to call names if you don't share the same opinion.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2010, 12:34:08 pm »

I though I would just set the record straight. While I tend to like this particular car and I think it's a competitive product, I'm not a blind supporter of GM and their cars in general.
You've been here long enough to know that it doesn't  take long for some people to call names if you don't share the same opinion.

Sad, but very true. There are definitely "right" and "wrong" brands to be a fan of around these parts. Actually, you don't even have to like something to be a fan of it. You can be called a fanboy of a certain brand or car for just not hating it enough.....

Not Convinced

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »

:iagree:
Name associations with the words "Buick Regal"
-squishy velour seats.
-lazy handling.
-steering feel like it's connected to the road through a damp rope.
-bumper stickers proclaiming "My grandchild was student of the month."

Remove the Buick name and things might be different.

Leviathan

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2010, 01:00:52 pm »
but Buick=old people.
Buick=Tiger=Cheating/whoring/playboy picking up chicks in his Buick and running amok.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2010, 01:01:07 pm »

:iagree:
-squishy velour seats.
-lazy handling.

Welcome back, John. Nice to see your anti-GM trolling under a different name now.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2010, 02:33:09 pm »
-squishy velour seats.
-lazy handling.

I guess I'm old enough to have fond memories of some Buicks, especially this one.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2010, 03:22:19 pm »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually seen a negative review of the Regal yet?

Nope.  Generally, they all seem to praise the handling of it...and we haven't seen the hot-rod version yet either.

Saw a couple today at a stealership.  Goes to show that you don't have to over-style (ahem....rhymes with Sunday) cars to make them look really good on the road.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2010, 03:39:55 pm »
Interesting tid-bit from the (positive) Car and Driver road test of the new Regal:

Even so, last year Buick astonishingly outsold Audi, Infiniti, and Lincoln in the U.S. To date, which includes no significant sales of the appealing Regal, Buick’s numbers are trending higher than all those, plus Acura. Surprising? You bet. Deserved? More than ever.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »
I've also seen a Regal at the stealership last week, and it was sitting beside a 2010 Lacrosse.  It's more compact than the Lacrosse and it doesn't look like a traditional Buick ... great stance.

Winklovic as a good point.  Buick didn't always make Century(s) and Park Avenues (China as a great Park Avenue based on the G8  ;D).  I don't see why they couldn't change their "recent" reputation to something like the new Regal.  They just need a few years and one or two new good cars.  Also, stay away from the minivans and just refresh the Enclave.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:57:54 pm by G0dspd »
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."