Author Topic: Long-Term Test: 2010 Acura ZDX - Driving Impressions  (Read 10170 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test: 2010 Acura ZDX - Driving Impressions
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:05:27 am »

Though poor rear visibility makes the Acura ZDX an intimidating vehicle to drive at first, Managing Editor Grant Yoxon found many other things about the ZDX that he likes, and over time, the pluses have outweighed the minuses.

Read More...

Mart

Re: Long-Term Test: 2010 Acura ZDX - Driving Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:31 pm »
The ZDX is big and has very little utility. What a waste of time and money on Honda's part.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
Why anyone would buy this over a MDX is beyond me.  They should have just made it a 2 door since the back seats in this are only child and Gary Coleman friendly.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:33 pm »
It may drive great, etc. (what the review said), but I wouldn't even consider it because of its poor visibility out the back and sides.  Not to mention its asthetics, which I don't like, but that's another story. 

Why did they have to do that?  Can't design a sleeky looking vehicle without compromising safety?

At least, they should make the rear view camera standard.  Which they didn't.

Acura sent me a survey about this vehicle (perhaps because I am an Acura owner).  I really gave it a :thumbdown:

Canuck G35

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »
Like mentioned by the editor and Julie, rear visibility is horrendous in this vehicle.  I haven't driven the new CR-Z but I a guessing it is about the same.   Not that great from a safety perspective!!  ::)

Like Mozeby, I would take the MDX over this any day of the week........and I am not particularly fond of the MDX either.  As a current Honda owner, I love Honda/Acura interiors and their driving dynamics........too bad that can't make a decent looking vehicle anymore.  

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »
Like mentioned by the editor and Julie, rear visibility is horrendous in this vehicle.  I haven't driven the new CR-Z but I a guessing it is about the same.   Not that great from a safety perspective!!  ::)

Like Mozeby, I would take the MDX over this any day of the week........and I am not particularly fond of the MDX either.  As a current Honda owner, I love Honda/Acura interiors and their driving dynamics........too bad that can't make a decent looking vehicle anymore.  

It would be similar to my Insight...and I never had an issue....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:27:34 pm »

Ron, that was me that posted above......guess I wasn't properly logged in.  ???

Anyways, you honestly think the rear visibility in the CR-Z is much different than the ZDX?  With the wide C pillars and extreme sloping roof line, I seriously have my doubts.  I am guessing an average driver (one that doesn't use their side mirrors) will have a very hard time with these vehicles........and hence a safety concern IMO. 

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:18 pm »
My Insight was similar to the CR-Z.  It's not that bad at all.  Sideview mirrors anybody?   :rofl2:

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »
The roofline on your Insight isn't anywhere near the slope the ZDX and CR-Z has though.  Actually, it's not even close. 

Anyways, my point is that rear visibility on these vehicles is extremely poor, and hence unsafe with the average driver behind the wheel. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:54:53 pm »
The roofline on your Insight isn't anywhere near the slope the ZDX and CR-Z has though.  Actually, it's not even close. 

Anyways, my point is that rear visibility on these vehicles is extremely poor, and hence unsafe with the average driver behind the wheel. 

Well hell....most car are unsafe with average drivers.  Minivans with soccer moms driving are death machines... :rofl2: 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:36:01 am »
Why do you want to see where you have been  ???  :rofl2:

I hope a lot of you never have drive a panel van rear visibility on these vehicles is extremely poor  ;D

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:20 pm »

Ron, that was me that posted above......guess I wasn't properly logged in.  ???

Anyways, you honestly think the rear visibility in the CR-Z is much different than the ZDX?  With the wide C pillars and extreme sloping roof line, I seriously have my doubts.  I am guessing an average driver (one that doesn't use their side mirrors) will have a very hard time with these vehicles........and hence a safety concern IMO. 

Please don't post any more pics of the ZDX.  I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:19 am »
^  LOL, a thousand apologies!  Won't happen again!   ;D

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:31 pm »
Looks like a solution to those idiots who drive on the 401 with their high beams on :D

SJP

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »
It doesn't matter how is works, If I can't stand the sight of it, it won't be in my driveway. Too many compromises. If I need a utility vehicle, I will drive one, if I want a sports sedan, I will drive one.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 08:04:35 am »
The CR-Z's roofline is the same fastback profile as my CRX.  No problem seeing out the back with the extra vertical pane of glass.  It's the easiest car in my "fleet" to park.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
It doesn't matter how is works, If I can't stand the sight of it, it won't be in my driveway. Too many compromises. If I need a utility vehicle, I will drive one, if I want a sports sedan, I will drive one.

What if you want a little of both, but can't afford, or don't want, to buy two cars?

Personally, other than the subjective styling, I don't see why this ZDX (and the Honda Crosstour) get as much flack as they do in respect to their formula when something very similar in the CTS Wagon gets praised by virtually everyone. Make no mistake, the ZDX and Crosstour are just that, wagons.

aknutson

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 12:38:35 pm »

What if you want a little of both, but can't afford, or don't want, to buy two cars?

Personally, other than the subjective styling, I don't see why this ZDX (and the Honda Crosstour) get as much flack as they do in respect to their formula when something very similar in the CTS Wagon gets praised by virtually everyone. Make no mistake, the ZDX and Crosstour are just that, wagons.

This isn't a wagon - if you're going to compare it, at least compare it to the right thing, aka Cadillac SRX. The CTS wagon is 500lbs lighter, at least 15-20% more efficient, faster, nimbler, and actually has more cargo room with seats folded. And you don't know why people see the ZDX as a rolling oxymoron? It's a handbag car.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »

This isn't a wagon - if you're going to compare it, at least compare it to the right thing, aka Cadillac SRX. The CTS wagon is 500lbs lighter, at least 15-20% more efficient, faster, nimbler, and actually has more cargo room with seats folded. And you don't know why people see the ZDX as a rolling oxymoron? It's a handbag car.

I just don't understand why Honda is willing to spend all that money in designing cars like the ZDX and Crosstour which will likely only sell in small numbers, but won't develop or spend the money to build something like a small wagon like the Mazda 5 or upcoming Chevy Orlando, which is where more people are looking and starting to buy.  Even a Civic wagon would be a much better car, cheaper to design and develop since it would basically be the same as the sedan.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 06:31:18 pm »
I just don't understand why Honda is willing to spend all that money in designing cars like the ZDX and Crosstour which will likely only sell in small numbers, but won't develop or spend the money to build something like a small wagon like the Mazda 5 or upcoming Chevy Orlando, which is where more people are looking and starting to buy.  Even a Civic wagon would be a much better car, cheaper to design and develop since it would basically be the same as the sedan.

Don't be ridiculous!

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken