Author Topic: Feature: Mercedes' Automated Driving system  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Mercedes' Automated Driving system
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:02:23 am »

To avoid potential injuries to test drivers, Mercedes has developed driverless cars with an automated driving system that controls the steering, accelerator, and brakes, reports contributor Brian Early. "And it can do it with up to five cars simultaneously," he says.

Read More...

Que

Re: Feature: Mercedes' Automated Driving system
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:44:31 am »
I did watch something very similar on Top Gear with a BMW 330i.  But in that system, you didn't see all the hardware, since it was embedded in the car else where.  This can be a great system to get people to get to work and back safely, and when you want to drive, just a hit a button, and take full control.  This is the ultimate cruise control, please someone bring it to market, is does have a use.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:25:39 pm »
sure, let's take more control and responsibility away from drivers, i mean, what's the point of driving, right?

this can only work in controlled environment where need for a driver is un-necessary.

i can see this being useful when everyone is on automated driving system.   

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:45:24 pm »
I hope this technology never reaches the price-point where I buy cars.  I certainly don't want.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:30:46 pm »
I hope this technology never reaches the price-point where I buy cars.  I certainly don't want.

And as an auto enthusiast, we should welcome this...especially if it performs better...and is more efficient...just like DSGs!

Besides, the market will want this...and my goodness...who are we to blame the companies for that?

We are auto enthusiasts...we are all about performance!!!!!   ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 03:38:19 pm »
Not mentioned in the article, but I'd guess the system can't be used with manual transmissions  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist