Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69121 times)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2011, 04:59:35 pm »
You are kidding, right Dan?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: "Mediocre fuel economy" - CR (Video)
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2011, 06:31:12 pm »
It seems to me GM did supply those car mags with specially prepared samplers. In real life though a heavy car is heavy on fuel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/consumerreports#p/u/7/3h_g9U4MAKY

I seem to recall that the Cruze didn't do anywhere NEAR as well as its EPA numbers in the recent C/D comparison test.

Who are they paying off at the EPA?

Or did they submit a ringer for the test?

Jaeger

:rofl:

Yes, none of the other cars in that test did well in observed economy - they all posted pretty poor numbers (though it must be said, none did WORSE than the Cruze) - but it has become fashionable to single out ONE participant to the exclusion of the others and deride its poor performance.  Thought I'd give that strategy a try on for size here.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2011, 07:00:14 pm »
I don't recall what the Cruze scored in that magazine test, maybe someone can re-post, but in the CR test it lost to the new Elantra AND the Sonata, the latter being a class bigger and heavier. Draw your own conclusions:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2011, 07:04:12 pm »
^^^ Ouch.  Going from recollection, the C/D test resuts for observed economy ranged from 18 - 21 mpg, with the Cruze being a bottom-feeder.  If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2011, 07:06:55 pm »
^^^ Ouch.  Going from recollection, the C/D test resuts for observed economy ranged from 18 - 21 mpg, with the Cruze being a bottom-feeder.  If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

Jaeger

The must have been dipping into the turbo to find the much needed TQ.  That's my guess.  Be thankful they didn't test the NA version.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2011, 07:28:11 pm »

Jaeger

The must have been dipping into the turbo to find the much needed TQ.  That's my guess.  Be thankful they didn't test the NA version.

They just did: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q1/2011_chevrolet_cruze_ls-short_take_road_test
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:24 pm »

Jaeger

They just did: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q1/2011_chevrolet_cruze_ls-short_take_road_test

Holy crap!!  Surprised GM actually let one of these out to the Press.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2011, 07:51:59 pm »
Holy crap!!  Surprised GM actually let one of these out to the Press.....

When they read the review, they might wish they had.

This next bit is an all too-familiar tune with recent GM products.  Seems to be their only real means of attaining decent fuel economy:

"But those numbers are merely information. Behind the wheel, the Cruze feels even duller because of a transmission that prefers high gears to forward progress. Dip your foot deep into the gas pedal, and you’ll get a one-gear downshift. If you actually want to move—say, into traffic or out of somebody’s way—the accelerator needs to be floored to provide high-level motivation. Shifting in manual mode doesn’t offer much improvement, as the system is slow to respond."

I absolutely, positvely could NOT live with a transmission that behaved in this fashion.

Jaeger

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »
Glad I read the entire review and not the excerpts from the usual suspects.

Case in point: the latest Volkswagen Jetta, which has been critically maligned for its beancounter design but is selling better than its more-upscale predecessor.

Exactly.  We get what we deserve.  All people care about is a low price, good kit, and a good epa mpg.  Does the transmission description matter if they sell them and make money?

[color=blue]For the average commuter, the Cruze is all that and a bag of chips. Those inclined to make every day a Fangio day will be disappointed, though. [/color]

So there you have it...can someone remind me what the intent of the this car is?  Seems to fit the bill perfectly.

But if GM wants to make it to the top of the economy-car pile, it needs to improve the intangibles, such as driving enjoyment.

Rubbish.  The sales segment leader Corolla will put you to sleep.  The Civic sold way less volume with the great handling double-wishbone suspension.  And I recall the Cruze outscoring the Elantra in the driving dynamics department.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:40 pm »
Glad I read the entire review and not the excerpts from the usual suspects.

Pretty funny, since you then proceed to do nothing but.... wait for it.... wait some more..... quote excerpts.  ;D

You somehow managed to miss the best part of your last excerpt, though - can't imagine how that happened - allow me to rectifiy:

"That brings us back to that bit about comparing well on paper. Despite the attractive exterior and high-class interior, some of the Cruze still feels as if it were designed by the old GM, which would engineer cars to a benchmark that, by the time the GM product came out, had already been advanced by the competition. This could be due to the fact that the Cruze is already old, having debuted in the rest of the world back in 2008. The Cruze is so much better than the Cobalt that Chevy is justified in ditching the old name, but that’s not saying much. And if you’re shopping on price, as many of the buyers in this segment do, the Cruze will make you a happy customer. But if GM wants to make it to the top of the economy-car pile, it needs to improve the intangibles, such as driving enjoyment."

Jaeger

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »

And if you’re shopping on price, as many of the buyers in this segment do, the Cruze will make you a happy customer

This is the important part. The sales leaders in this class have never been exciting. They are cheap with decent content and relatively reliable.

But if GM wants to make it to the top of the economy-car pile, it needs to improve the intangibles, such as driving enjoyment.

This bit is only important to a few car nerds and auto journalists. The previous Jetta by all accounts was a better car, but sold in small numbers to people who appreciated them. The current one is selling much better due to a lower price and more features at the cost of driving dynamics and interior quality.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2011, 09:25:27 pm »

Pretty funny, since you then proceed to do nothing but.... wait for it.... wait some more..... quote excerpts.  ;D

You somehow managed to miss the best part of your last excerpt, though - can't imagine how that happened - allow me to rectifiy:

I see why you think it's the best part.  It's a lot of hate and is completely irrelevant as I (and now SirO) pointed out.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »

I see why you think it's the best part.  It's a lot of hate and is completely irrelevant as I (and now SirO) pointed out.

Well, as Sir O is fond of pointing out, just because it's unimportant to YOU doesn't mean it's unimportant to everyone.  And for the sake of clarity, I didn't say it was the most important part of the excerpt - I said it was the best part.  :)

Sure glad I read the whole article instead of just excerpts by the usual suspects.  :)

So, how about that Cruze mileage, eh?

Jaeger

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2011, 10:56:18 pm »

And for the sake of clarity, I didn't say it was the most important part of the excerpt - I said it was the best part.  :)

:hello:

So, how about that Cruze mileage, eh?

It's better than my RX-8 I'm sure.  Not everyone chooses their vehicles the same way many US ethnic ladies groups do.   :stick:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2011, 11:08:49 pm »

It's better than my RX-8 I'm sure.  Not everyone chooses their vehicles the same way many US ethnic ladies groups do.   :stick:

Well considering how GM had been touting the excellent mileage of the Cruze, I don't think he's out of line for pointing out it's not that great...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »
Nope. Just like I was not out of line for pointing out that the Elantra sucked Just as bad.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »
Nope. Just like I was not out of line for pointing out that the Elantra sucked Just as bad.

But still better than the Cruze!!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 05, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »
Depends on how you look at it. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but didn't it do worse compared to it's EPA specs than the Cruze? The no * mileage numbers!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2011, 12:02:02 am »
Depends on how you look at it. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but didn't it do worse compared to it's EPA specs than the Cruze? The no * mileage numbers!!!

So if the Hyundai gets 32 MPG, but deviates 30% from the EPA numbers and the Cruze gets 29 MPG but only deviates 15% from the EPA numbers, the Cruze is better??   ::)

The Hyundai gets better gas mileage in the tests I've seen...regardless of deviation from EPA numbers.  I'm talking absolutes...and the Hyundai gets better gas mileage.  Period.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2011, 12:05:44 am »
And has a better power to weight ratio, and is slower.