Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69130 times)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:02 am »
I don't get Corolla at all out if it. No one ever said the Corolla was sharp handling. Seems more along the VW lines than Corolla.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:41 am »
I don't get Corolla at all out if it. No one ever said the Corolla was sharp handling. Seems more along the VW lines than Corolla.

I haven't usually read "sharp" handling for the Cruze without the RS package.  Without the RS, it's Corolla-esque.  Which I think is a very good thing for most people who will be using this car as an appliance.  The Corolla sells in bus-loads not because it's a handling dream, but because it does everything well without any fuss.  It does what 95% of the people want in a little car.  Sounds like the Cruze fits this to a T.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:55:18 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2011, 11:58:03 am »

I haven't usually read "sharp" handling for the Cruze without the RS package.  Without the RS, it's Corolla-esque.  Which I think is a very good thing for most people who will be using this car as an appliance.  The Corolla sells in bus-loads not because it's a handling dream, but because it does everything well without any fuss.  It does what 95% of the people want in a little car.  Sounds like the Cruze fits this to a T.

Even with the RS package, I woldn't call the Cruze "sharp" handling.  Still noticeably more body roll than the Elantra.  And as you have said - this isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Cruze, as a comfortable and composed ride matters more to a larger number of buyers in this segment than does flat cornering and razor-sharp handling.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

CatsEye68

Re: Consumers Reports recent take on the Cruze
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »
article dated March 21st

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/03/chevrolet-cruze-being-better-than-the-cobalt-doesnt-make-it-a-class-leader.html

Article is from CR, which claims that even a lowly Corolla is superior. Obviously not a credible source of automotive info.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2011, 01:15:17 pm »
Cruze vs the new Elantra

http://autos.ca.msn.com/reviews/2011/article.aspx?cp-documentid=27844742

I'd agree with that article.  I just recently drove both cars, base Cruze with manual and auto Elantra GL.  Both are excellent cars, I found the Cruze to be 'softer' but it still handled great.  The seats in the Cruze were fantastic and it was quieter than the Elantra too.  I like the Elantra styling and firmer suspension, but for an A - B car that's comfy, good on gas and enough space for the family, I'd pick the Cruze.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:21 pm »
In Canada at least, the Cruze is a sales dud.  No leasing and the finance rate is Bank only.  If GM puts up any numbers on this car it will be mostly fleet sales.

CatsEye68

« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2011, 06:39:10 pm »
In Canada at least, the Cruze is a sales dud.  No leasing and the finance rate is Bank only.  If GM puts up any numbers on this car it will be mostly fleet sales.

The reality suggests otherwise. For the first 2 months of the year it sold in approximately the same numbers as the Corolla and the Mazda 3, and handily outsold the Focus. The Elantra sold more but that was a combination of them dumping the old model Elantra plus 0% financing and cash on the hood of everything on the lot to draw in buyers.

CatsEye68

« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2011, 07:01:42 pm »
hey catseye68 is that the new focus?   i haven't driven the new focus yet but if i was shopping in this category it would be the mazda and ford as the front runners for me. 

No, it isn't on the lots yet.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2011, 07:28:25 pm »

Not exactly a dud, considering the lack of incentives.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:09 pm »
^^^ Wow, I'm as surprised by how many Elantras have sold as I am by how few Fits have.  Civic sales are also very impressive given how very long in the tooth it is.

Jaeger

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »
^^^ Wow, I'm as surprised by how many Elantras have sold as I am by how few Fits have.  Civic sales are also very impressive given how very long in the tooth it is.

Jaeger

When was the last time incentives were this big on Civics, though?  I'm also surprised at Accent sales compared with Fit sales, and that not a single person bought a Swift+ in Canada in the entire month.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »

Jaeger

When was the last time incentives were this big on Civics, though?  I'm also surprised at Accent sales compared with Fit sales, and that not a single person bought a Swift+ in Canada in the entire month.

Incentives are there no doubt, but I think it is more the inertia of having been a super-strong seller in Canada (like, THE super-strong seller) for better than a decade.

Jaeger

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »
hey catseye68 is that the new focus?   i haven't driven the new focus yet but if i was shopping in this category it would be the mazda and ford as the front runners for me. 

No, it isn't on the lots yet.

Try Chebucto Ford you'll find  a new focus on their lot.[black hatchback]
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2011, 12:17:55 am »
Interesting numbers... The Cruze is doing very well (nearly on par with the Corolla), the Elantra is blowing away the Civic for February sales which is simply unbelievable and Civic is still doing well despite being one of the oldest on the lineup. For the subcompacts I see the Fiesta doing some good numbers compared to it's competition too.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2011, 01:03:25 am »
The Cavalier/Cobalt always did pretty well, so not surprised the Cruze does fine too (how much of those sales are Cobalts anyway?). GM has lots of dealers, some very good, and many in small towns Toyota/Honda/Hyundai don't exist in.

In Alberta GM is probably 90% a pickup/SUV retailer, and lots of those buyers will buy a little car for the wife or daughter from the same dealer they always bought their trucks from, as long as it is halfway decent.

It would be interesting though to get the retail/fleet breakdown.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2011, 09:31:56 am »
I think for the next couple of month, the sales numbers will be tinted by the old models clearance sale.
Elantra is going on now, the Focus will be next and then the Civic. After all heavily discounted old models are gone, we can see the new order.

How is Cruze a sales dud, in Canada or US, it's hard to understand; by the relative numbers that is. It's not #1, but far from a dud.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
I think for the next couple of month, the sales numbers will be tinted by the old models clearance sale.
Elantra is going on now, the Focus will be next and then the Civic. After all heavily discounted old models are gone, we can see the new order.

How is Cruze a sales dud, in Canada or US, it's hard to understand; by the relative numbers that is. It's not #1, but far from a dud.

AS says the Cruze is a dud because GM is not giving enough discounts, rebates, etc. on it. Then again, he also said in a different thread yesterday, that all of GM is a dud, because all they do is give too many discounts, rebates, etc.

Does that help clarify things? :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2011, 10:41:30 am »

AS says the Cruze is a dud because GM is not giving enough discounts, rebates, etc. on it. Then again, he also said in a different thread yesterday, that all of GM is a dud, because all they do is give too many discounts, rebates, etc.

Does that help clarify things? :)

Clear as mud.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2011, 05:51:22 pm »
Not exactly a dud, considering the lack of incentives

Filter out the Cobalt and fleet sales and where would the numbers be I wonder  ???   This is GM Canada's econobox segment buster and already $500 off the stripper and $1000 off the 1.4T.

We've been stealing Cruze customers at both the Toyota and Nissan stores.  In true GM fashion they launch a critically important vehicle with no leasing and no captive financing.  ::)

When this vehicle first appeared it had competitors very concerned.  But as attractive as the package appears, the drive train on the stripper unit sucks and the Turbo gets poor mileage.  GM just can't do small I4s.