Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69177 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2010, 09:29:41 am »
Uh oh, more Hyundai SPAM from fanboy.

How is it spam when I'm providing an informed opinion piece that contradicts what he said? Do you know what spam is?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:00 am »

How is it spam when I'm providing an informed opinion piece that contradicts what he said? Do you know what spam is?

Calling the Cruze a guzzler is just, well, ignorant.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2010, 10:29:36 am »

And saying that Hyundai STOLE the idea for the "Automatic Air Shutter System" from GM is just, well...... what?
Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:57 am »

Ok, sure, using the word guzzler was an exageration... but in relation to the Elantra, it kind of is...

Fuel economy with automatic transmission:
Elantra 1.8L:      6.9  4.9
Cruze Eco 1.4L:  7.8  5.1  
Corolla 1.8L:       7.8  5.7
Civic 1.8L:         8.2  5.7
Cruze 1.4L:        8.5  5.5
Cruze 1.8L:        9.2  5.6

Quite a difference between the Elantra and Cruze, even the Cruze Eco.

CatsEye68

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2010, 04:46:40 pm »

What it is, is a far-too-typical fluff piece that such outfits tends to publish upon the introduction of almost any new model. It is not an objective piece, it is not a comparison piece, it is just a "Oh! This is the next cool thing!" promo piece.

You say that they indicate it is quiet. Compared to what? A Civic? Or a Cruze, which in turn has been described as comparable in sound level to a Lexus? We don't know. Until we get objective comparison testing, we need to hold off on the anointment.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »

You say that they indicate it is quiet. Compared to what? A Civic? Or a Cruze, which in turn has been described as comparable in sound level to a Lexus? We don't know. Until we get objective comparison testing, we need to hold off on the anointment.

Which is funny.  The Cruze is neither as quiet as our Lexus'...and I consider the IS350/IS300 to be among the loudest of the Lexus.  Of course, the Cruze was a loaner, so it may have been beat to daylights already.  FWIW, the engine sound/noise of the Cruze was quieter than our Lexus'.  But given it's a small 4 banger, not unexpected.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:00:26 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:35 pm »

What it is, is a far-too-typical fluff piece that such outfits tends to publish upon the introduction of almost any new model. It is not an objective piece, it is not a comparison piece, it is just a "Oh! This is the next cool thing!" promo piece.

In that case, since car reviews stating opinions isn't enough, please show me objective proof that shows just how quiet the Cruze really is, because, you know, all car reviews are fluff pieces.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »
Cruze:

Db @ Idle: 35.3
Db @ Full Throttle: 67.4
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 67.1

To be fair, Sones is a better way of measuring noise in a car than dB. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:50:45 pm by rrocket »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2010, 05:49:19 pm »
Cruze:

To be fair, Sones is a better way of measuring noise in a car than dB

Those are the numbers for the Cruze, or the Elantra? And how do they compare to the other?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2010, 05:53:14 pm »
Cruze:

Those are the numbers for the Cruze, or the Elantra? And how do they compare to the other?

You can see where it says "Cruze:".  So they're for the Cruze.   ;D

I don't have new numbers for the new Elantra. I don't think it's been officially tested.  FWIW, the "old" Elantra Touring scored a 64.2 dB @ 70 Mph.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2010, 09:01:50 am »
Cruze:

You can see where it says "Cruze:".  So they're for the Cruze.   ;D

I don't have new numbers for the new Elantra. I don't think it's been officially tested.  FWIW, the "old" Elantra Touring scored a 64.2 dB @ 70 Mph.

Oops, sorry, I obviously missed the 'Cruze:' up there!

And correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't think I am, but isn't 64.2 dB significantly quieter than 67.1 dB? Of course, this is the old Elantra Touring and not the new Elantra, but I would think that the new Elantra would be as quiet, if not even moreso.

So, can we please stop with the BS that the Cruze is overweight by 300lbs because it has better sound insulation than all its competitors. It's overweight because GM has no clue how to make light cars, that's why.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:29 am »
Right - it's not like GM makes the Corvette or anything.....oh wait  ::)

I'm talking about mainstream vehicles... In recent months, they came out with quite a few overweight vehicles... Equinox, Regal and Cruze come to mind.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:49 am »
While it has some faults I think GM has made a small car they can be reasonably proud of.

I'd certainly agree with that.

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:33 am »
FWIW I think you're making too big a deal over the Cruze. While it has some faults I think GM has made a small car they can be reasonably proud of.

I can agree with that. It's just that listening to some people, you'd think the Cruze was the second coming, when, well, it's not. It's just another competitive car with some qualities and some flaws. And it's my duty to remind everyone that this car isn't that incredible and that it's just another one in the bunch, damnit!  ;)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:49 am »
FWIW I think you're making too big a deal over the Cruze. While it has some faults I think GM has made a small car they can be reasonably proud of.

I can agree with that. It's just that listening to some people, you'd think the Cruze was the second coming, when, well, it's not. It's just another competitive car with some qualities and some flaws. And it's my duty to remind everyone that this car isn't that incredible and that it's just another one in the bunch, damnit!  ;)

Yup all that's true. New car launches are filled with optimism, excessively positive comments and subtle (or blatant) hiding of the weaknesses. The Elantra is just another example of this launch madness, as evidenced by the initial reviews and some of the posters in here. We need to wait for the true test drives, the "first drives" being pretty much unreliable.   

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:54 am »

Yup all that's true. New car launches are filled with optimism, excessively positive comments and subtle (or blatant) hiding of the weaknesses. The Elantra is just another example of this launch madness, as evidenced by the initial reviews and some of the posters in here. We need to wait for the true test drives, the "first drives" being pretty much unreliable.   

And really, I'm as guilty as anyone else of being excited when new cars come along that I think will be great, Elantra, Sonata, whatever. But then, I have plenty of people reminding me that those cars aren't as great as I'm saying they are, and that's perfectly fine. It goes both ways, and I'm okay with that.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:29 am »
Shnak - I know where you're coming from - the posters in the Hyundai threads are trying to do the same thing and we keep ending up with these derailed threads.

The Cruze may not be the second coming but it is an exciting product coming from the General and there is a lot on the line with this one. Compared to the Cavalier and Cobalt they've done a lot of things the right way. Is the Cruze a class-beater....probably not. However, it legitimately belongs in the discussion with the best cars in this class. Sad as it is....this is big news for GM.

As I mentioned previously, I don't think there's anything wrong with GM or their fans being proud of this car. Compared to some of the :censor: that has come out of this company this car is proper step forward (this may or may not be saying much). I look at the Regal in the same light....not the second coming and lots of faults....but a proper step forward and a car that can be mentioned with the competition without snickering.

Producing a car that will actually be cross-shopped with the perennial class leaders is a big step forward for GM. The question becomes is it too late for this now?

See, that's another problem I have with the Cruze... a huge part of all the excitement is because it's made by GM, who, for once, doesn't bring a totally crappy car to this segment. If it was Honda or Toyota that's bringing the Cruze as it is to market, you'd have a ton of people complaining it's not very fuel efficient, it's heavy, it's this, it's that... but because it's GM and because it's better than what they've done before (hard not to be, really), it's great!! How about we judge a car on its own merits, uh? The Cruze is competent, appears comfortable, well equipped (and I've applauded GM for the 10 air bags before), and is certainly competitive, but it's not that exciting to drive, engines are barely sufficient, weighs a lot and as a result its fuel economy trails many of its competitors and it's really expensive for what it is, a compact car. Good, yes. Best thing since sliced bread? Not even close.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2010, 10:20:24 am »
Shnak - I know where you're coming from - the posters in the Hyundai threads are trying to do the same thing and we keep ending up with these derailed threads.

The Cruze may not be the second coming but it is an exciting product coming from the General and there is a lot on the line with this one. Compared to the Cavalier and Cobalt they've done a lot of things the right way. Is the Cruze a class-beater....probably not. However, it legitimately belongs in the discussion with the best cars in this class. Sad as it is....this is big news for GM.

As I mentioned previously, I don't think there's anything wrong with GM or their fans being proud of this car. Compared to some of the :censor: that has come out of this company this car is proper step forward (this may or may not be saying much). I look at the Regal in the same light....not the second coming and lots of faults....but a proper step forward and a car that can be mentioned with the competition without snickering.

Producing a car that will actually be cross-shopped with the perennial class leaders is a big step forward for GM. The question becomes is it too late for this now?

See, that's another problem I have with the Cruze... a huge part of all the excitement is because it's made by GM, who, for once, doesn't bring a totally crappy car to this segment. If it was Honda or Toyota that's bringing the Cruze as it is to market, you'd have a ton of people complaining it's not very fuel efficient, it's heavy, it's this, it's that... but because it's GM and because it's better than what they've done before (hard not to be, really), it's great!! How about we judge a car on its own merits, uh? The Cruze is competent, appears comfortable, well equipped (and I've applauded GM for the 10 air bags before), and is certainly competitive, but it's not that exciting to drive, engines are barely sufficient, weighs a lot and as a result its fuel economy trails many of its competitors and it's really expensive for what it is, a compact car. Good, yes. Best thing since sliced bread? Not even close.

I mostly agree with that and it doesn't make much sense, however its important to acknowledge there is nothing unusual about this behavior. The same psychology happens everywhere. For example, if a Company reports quarterly earnings that were poor, but it was better than analysts expected, their stock might go up. Meanwhile, a highly successful Company improves once again with its quarterly results, yet their stock tanks because it didn't meet analysts expectations or their own estimates 3 months ago.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2010, 10:53:13 am »
...Hmmmmm  FREE WINTER TYRES    ...or .............I-PAD.............. :think: :bang:......... Tom CRUZE sez ..NIGHT & DAY... ;)....I ll take Cameron in a Daze fer 100 alex..............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2010, 02:16:53 pm »

That's actually a fair comment (though from what I have read, the handling is at least above class average).

Jaeger