Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69176 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:58 am »
But how much of a price premium for the Eco trim compared to the non-Eco trim with equivalent equipment?

And why not make the whole line-up 'Eco' instead of only one trim? Wouldn't that be the better option marketing-wise?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 10:44:01 am »
But how much of a price premium for the Eco trim compared to the non-Eco trim with equivalent equipment?

And why not make the whole line-up 'Eco' instead of only one trim? Wouldn't that be the better option marketing-wise?

I'd like the "Automatic Air Shutter System" available in all models.  That's pretty slick.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:00 am »
Canadian fuel consumption results for the Cruze Eco.

City:     7.2 L/100 km (39 mi./gal.)
Hwy:     4.6 L/100 km (61 mi./gal.)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2010, 11:23:54 am »

I'd like the "Automatic Air Shutter System" available in all models.  That's pretty slick.

The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has a similar system too.

CatsEye68

« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »

Idea having been stolen from GM, no doubt.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:39 pm »

Uhhh no.  I did the tooling for a radiator shroud for a BMW in the 90s that had that on it...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2010, 07:34:00 pm »
Uhhh no.  I did the tooling for a radiator shroud for a BMW in the 90s that had that on it...

Our Versatile tractor, circa 1972 had it also. It's been common on big trucks and other heavy equipment (to help the engines warm up) for a long time.

Mitlov

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2010, 07:37:15 pm »

Eff the 1990s.  Radiator shrouding that can automatically open and close to balance aerodynamics and cooling has been around since at least the Messerschmidt BF-109.

Now if only cars would incorporate other neat features of the BF-109, like 20 mm cannon ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2010, 07:52:36 pm »
Yea..it's been around forever....and before automatic systems, there were mechanical systems.  I was just pointing out..in cars at least that I've worked on...1990s was the first time I encountered the system.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »

Gee, Erik was right - no GM fanboys on the forum at all.  Nope, not a one.  :)

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2010, 08:57:32 pm »

Gee, Erik was right - no GM fanboys on the forum at all.  Nope, not a one.  :)

Jaeger

Well.......maybe just one!   ;)

I'd say this pic is appropriate!   ;D

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2010, 09:54:59 pm »
Now if only cars would incorporate other neat features of the BF-109, like 20 mm cannon ;)

YES!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »
Drove a Cruze LT this morning.

I spent about 10 minutes in the showroom looking in, under and around the car and, generally liked what I saw.  The engine compartment was neatly laid out and there was plenty of room around the engine for any work that needed doing.  It looked nice, too.

The exterior looked okay: I didn't notice any glaring problems with the paint or panel gaps.  Overall, I find it an attractive design except for, maybe, the three-tier grill.  It's sealed, so why not have the hood come farther forward?  Also, fix the C-pillar and lose the plastic.

Inside, I was hoping that the seats would be an improvement on the rental Cobalt I tried for two days in Arizona.  Thankfully, they were.  They felt hard when I sat down but were comfortable while sitting in the showroom and during the test drive.  The switchgear felt good and operated in the solid manner.  I did have an issue with the ventilation controls, however.  As you can see in the photo below, the temperature control sits in a recess closest to the driver.  The fan speed is in a reverse recess on the right.  Unfortunately, grabbing the control wasn't convenient since my fingers would be the right side of the control.  I can't imagine trying it with gloves on.

Another strike against the interior was, once I had set the seat position (fore/aft and height) and the tilt/telescope of the steering wheel, I could not see the top left of the tach or the top right of the speedometer.  I'm only 5'8" so would the situation be worse for taller drivers?  While I did like the diameter of the steering wheel, unfortunately, it obscures the gauges.

I liked the cloth on the dash and doors, btw.

I had no issues getting in and out of the backseat and there was plenty of leg room with the driver's seat set for me.  I would have no problem putting two folks in the backseat for a road trip: three folks in back for a short drive in the city.  Nice to see cupholders in the backseat armrest.

The trunk looked spacious.

I took a Cruze LT Turbo + for a drive.  Since the car had been in the shop within the previous 48 hours, the interior of the glass was frosted up, but the HVAC made short work of that.  Once moving, I surprised with how quiet the car was: I was listening for turbo whistle but couldn't detect it.  The power is more than adequate and the car pulls well in 2nd and 3rd gears.  The amount of time the transmission spent in first from the stand still was almost comical.  First gear was done in less than a second under light throttle.  The transmission's manual control actually obeyed your up or downshift command promptly.  Winnipeg's roads are in terrible shape and the Cruze did well on them, including an 80 km/h left hand sweeper complete with bumps and dips that upset my Sebring. 

Overall, I was impressed.  I can't say how well it stacks up against the competition because I haven't driven them yet.  However, the Cruze would definitely be on my candidate list.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2010, 03:50:52 pm »
Good review - thanks.

Jaeger

CatsEye68

« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2010, 04:17:59 pm »

No. Then you would be sacrificing the extra sound insulation and other comfort and convenience features the regular Cruze has. In other words, it would be like driving an Elantra or some other Asian small cars. Not everyone wants vanilla. Extra flavor choices are nice.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2010, 04:52:14 pm »

No. Then you would be sacrificing the extra sound insulation and other comfort and convenience features the regular Cruze has. In other words, it would be like driving an Elantra or some other Asian small cars. Not everyone wants vanilla. Extra flavor choices are nice.

So you're basically saying the Cruze Eco is crap like the Elantra and some other Asian small cars then? Who would buy crap like that?!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2010, 05:46:42 pm »
Good review - thanks.

Indeed.  The AutoBlog podcast guys also commented how quiet the thing was.

CatsEye68

« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2010, 08:05:33 pm »
So you're basically saying the Cruze Eco is crap like the Elantra and some other Asian small cars then?

I would never call a Hyundai "crap". However, if you wish to do so then feel free.

Who would buy crap like that?!

Obviously, many do. WalMart sells a lot of crap that people seem to like. The bargain-basement, "something for nothing" segment has always had its devotees.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2010, 09:18:23 am »

Uh oh... Elantra is remarkably quiet too! Why buy a guzzler like the Cruze Eco when the Elantra beats it at its own game, and probably has a quieter cabin considering, by your own admission, GM had to remove sound proofing out of the Eco trim to make it lighter.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/first-drive-2011-hyundai-elantra
Both cars deliver a remarkably quiet cabin thanks to a three-layer door system and heaps of insulating foam in the vehicle's body cavities. A set of hydraulic engine mounts do a smart job of keeping any vibration from the engine out of the cabin, and more than once we found ourselves wondering whether or not the four-pot was actually running at idle.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2010, 09:28:09 am »
Uh oh, more Hyundai SPAM from fanboy.