Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69169 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2010, 11:11:19 am »
LS is the base model right? I thought many compact cars don't have the cruise control standard. Available with a package, yes. Is this the case with the Cruze? I haven't checked the features/prices/option myself so I don't know, just asking.

Yes, the LS is the base model.  However, cruise control isn't even an option on the LS.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »
LS is the base model right? I thought many compact cars don't have the cruise control standard. Available with a package, yes. Is this the case with the Cruze? I haven't checked the features/prices/option myself so I don't know, just asking.

Yes, the LS is the base model.  However, cruise control isn't even an option on the LS.

I see. Maybe you can get it as accessory? The web site is kind of scarce on details ( I could not find a ful specs sheet). Best to check with a dealer I guess.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:34 pm »
No doubt the dealer will be happy to fit an aftermarket cruise. With these drive by wire engines it's often as easy as plugging in a controller on the steering column.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2010, 02:58:54 pm »
No doubt the dealer will be happy to fit an aftermarket cruise. With these drive by wire engines it's often as easy as plugging in a controller on the steering column.

I'd much rather have a well-integrated (functionally and aesthetically) OEM unit than some grafted-on aftermarket afterthought.

Can't remember the last time I owned a car without cruise - it's a pretty basic requirement for me.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2010, 04:59:58 pm »
I think same manufacturers offer cruise control as an dealer installed accessory - still OEM. I'm not sure about GM thought. Not biggie for me on (any) base model, but I wouldn't buy a base model anyway.

Offline AirCanada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mitsubishi Galant ES, 2010 Mitsubishi Endeavour LS
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2010, 09:28:48 am »
Looks great, I especially like the two-tone interior colors. I hope we see a SS model soon!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »
Cruze wins the British touring Car Championship. OK its hardly a version that will be available to buy. Still, win on Sunday, sell on Monday?

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=392451

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »
For those in the area, you can test drive a Cruze at Vaughan Mills Oct 30th (10a-6p) or 31st (11a-5p) and receive a complimentary $10 gas gift card.

If you go, relay your thoughts on the car.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2010, 02:20:48 pm »
For those in the area, you can test drive a Cruze at Vaughan Mills Oct 30th (10a-6p) or 31st (11a-5p) and receive a complimentary $10 gas gift card.

If you go, relay your thoughts on the car.

Thanks for the heads-up SirA. I may be able to test drive the Regal this time around (few weeks ago I did the Cruze).

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2010, 09:29:08 pm »
Checked one out at dealer today - it's a winner methinks but not in LTZ dress. Leather doesn't look right - too stiff and seems out of place for economy car. And since GM is pushing the economy angle it doesn't fit.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2010, 11:09:33 am »
Checked one out at dealer today - it's a winner methinks but not in LTZ dress. Leather doesn't look right - too stiff and seems out of place for economy car. And since GM is pushing the economy angle it doesn't fit.
But they do have to compete and virtually every other compact car offers leather as standard or an option in the top trim levels. Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, 2012 Focus, I think even the Sentra does.

I saw two Cruzes on my morning run. Not bad looking in person...It'll do.

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2010, 06:28:30 pm »
So is this car going to help save GM's ass?  If their quality has improved then maybe it will.  But if it's just another Cavalier then it's just another throw away car.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »
Got to Vaughan Mills too late for the drive yesterday, but I did sit in a Cruze inside the mall. The interior quality is incredible. Now, I realize my 300C is not the definitive standard for interior quality (to say the least), but I would happily swap interiors with the Cruze. I really think it is the nicest in the class. If GM has gotten the reliability down, this car will be a major player.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2010, 08:40:07 pm »
Got to Vaughan Mills too late for the drive yesterday, but I did sit in a Cruze inside the mall. The interior quality is incredible. Now, I realize my 300C is not the definitive standard for interior quality (to say the least), but I would happily swap interiors with the Cruze. I really think it is the nicest in the class. If GM has gotten the reliability down, this car will be a major player.

Yea...I pretty much agree.  But I think for some to switch away from an import, the Cruze will have to show a few years of reliability to get someone to ditch their Civic or Corolla.  I agree with Steve too...financing will play a pretty big role in whether this car is a success.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2010, 09:27:00 pm »
GM needs this car to be deadly reliable from the first unit sold.  If they get a few years of top-shelf numbers, CR and others will report it, and they can finally pull away from their dismal record with respect to compact cars.

This is what Ford has done.  Word is out that Ford is now making good cars, and people I know that would never have considered a Ford five years ago (including me!) now put Ford models on their shopping list.

As for the "bland" comments, GM needs a wide appeal car to drive large volumes.  Remember that the Mazda3 is not even a blip on the radar in the segment in the US.  The vast majority of compact commuter car buyers are looking for appliances-of-transportation.

But, what of the Fiesta, says you.  Ah, why does Ford bother with the Fiesta sedan, which is pretty "bland" compared to the hatch?  For US anti-hatch commuter sales.  Expect the Focus to have a "run of the mill" sedan available which will drive good sales in the US.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »

Yea...I pretty much agree.  But I think for some to switch away from an import, the Cruze will have to show a few years of reliability to get someone to ditch their Civic or Corolla.  I agree with Steve too...financing will play a pretty big role in whether this car is a success.

Very true. Thankfully for GM, Toyota has taken some pretty good hits of late, so there might be some shoppers out there who would never have considered the Cruze, who may take a look at one now. While I don't think it has to be the absolute best in reliability to be a success, it does need to be at least above average.
Then, add and SS to the line, and we can really have some fun with it. Would make for a killer little car.
And one I could fit in! :)

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2010, 11:57:54 pm »

I'd much rather have a well-integrated (functionally and aesthetically) OEM unit than some grafted-on aftermarket afterthought.

Can't remember the last time I owned a car without cruise - it's a pretty basic requirement for me.

Jaeger

I find it weird that there is no cruise on the LS trim level. There is cruise on my HHR LS with the cruise and trip computer controls nicely integrated into the steering wheel. How are the early reports on the 1.8L engine in the Cruze? Is it the same/similar to the engine in the Saturna Astra?

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »
New Chevrolet Cruze Eco Achieves Segment-Leading 42 MPG On The Highway

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Nov/1111_cruze_eco

DETROIT – The official fuel economy numbers for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco are in and they’re good. Segment-leading good. It delivers an EPA-estimated 42 mpg on the highway (manual transmission models), with equally impressive city fuel economy of 28 mpg.

Cruze Eco’s highway fuel economy beats non-hybrid segment competitors – including 23 percent greater highway fuel economy than the Honda Civic – as well as the Ford Fiesta subcompact and many hybrid models. In fact, it’s better than Ford Fusion Hybrid, Nissan Altima Hybrid and Toyota Camry Hybrid.

“Chevrolet Cruze continues to redefine the compact segment, offering class-leading standard safety features, upscale amenities – as well as hybrid-like fuel economy without the price,” said Chuck Russell, vehicle line director. “The Cruze Eco is in a league of its own and will challenge perceptions of the efficiency available in a more affordable non-hybrid.”

The Cruze Eco carries an MSRP of $18,895 (including destination charge). It goes on sale in January.

To achieve its segment-leading fuel economy, Cruze’s engineers focused on aerodynamic performance, mass optimization and powertrain enhancements. The refinements in each area paid big dividends towards the car’s overall efficiency, while providing engineers with valuable information to help enhance the efficiency of future Chevrolet models.

“We left no stone unturned or piece of sheet metal un-weighed,” said Russell. “Our engineers were comprehensive and thorough when it came to evaluating and modifying the aspects of the car’s performance that contribute to fuel economy.”

blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »
The coolest thing I think about the Eco is that it's not a stripped down model. It's actually mid-range and it's the only trim available that pairs the 1.4T with a manual transmission. Should make at least a few people happy :)

It's also sort of like a poor man's Prius which isn't a bad thing in my mind. Especially since all of the changes keep it looking quite normal.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2010, 07:21:56 am »
So the Eco is 18,500 and basically sam platform as the 40K Volt (sans the fancy drivetrain) and gets 42mpg....sounds like a pretty good deal.