Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69120 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 11:26:46 pm »
What's that you're driving again? Ah yes, an Echo. You've got lots of cred.

Don't fret -- maybe you'll win the lottery or something and be able to afford a Cruze yourself someday.

Didn't someone already call you an swerver for running down someone's ride, fucktard?  If not, then I am.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 12:32:16 am »
Yer the Cruze really needs to be, this car looks so dated against the fords. This price will be down to 12K in 2 years for a base anyways. LOL

What's that you're driving again? Ah yes, an Echo. You've got lots of cred.

Don't fret -- maybe you'll win the lottery or something and be able to afford a Cruze yourself someday.

What does what he's driving now have to do with anything?

CatsEye68

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 08:37:59 am »
Didn't someone already call you an swerver for running down someone's ride, fucktard?  If not, then I am.

We need to throw that over to our translators to figure out what you are spewing again. The only decipherable part is the profanity for which you are famous. I think it is safe to assume (or at least one hopes) that you do not instruct our youth in English... is your specialty maths, Teach?

CatsEye68

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:09 am »

Read the thread again as it is illustrative of the way this forum operates far too often. A car none of us has seen in the flesh, much less actually driven, being dismissed because of who makes it in favor of another car nobody here has driven either. The negative voices: the usual suspects, the Echo-driving, domestic-bashing types who never have anything good to say about one car company in particular. Someone driving an Echo criticizing another car of any make is like John Daly or Amy Winehouse criticizing someone's lifestyle.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 09:32:16 am »

Read the thread again as it is illustrative of the way this forum operates far too often. A car none of us has seen in the flesh, much less actually driven, being dismissed because of who makes it in favor of another car nobody here has driven either.

Finally a smart throughout observation  :thumbup:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 10:22:09 am »
Read the thread again as it is illustrative of the way this forum operates far too often. A car none of us has seen in the flesh, much less actually driven, being dismissed because of who makes it in favor of another car nobody here has driven either.

You needed to stop there.  I agree with you, but then you switched on troll-mode and went bashing based on what someone's driving, not their post.  If you don't like the bashing so much then don't participate in it.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 02:48:22 pm »
Seen it in the flesh and have even sat in it. The Cruze beats most cars it is up against for me, because I actually fit in it. At 6'4, I could not have the seat all the way back. TONS of room inside. Seemed nicely put together of good quality materials. I think GM will do very well with this car.

Hope it drives ok tho...

And yes, if it does not offer the 'big" engine with the turbo, then I would certainly never buy one.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

Read the thread again as it is illustrative of the way this forum operates far too often. A car none of us has seen in the flesh, much less actually driven, being dismissed because of who makes it in favor of another car nobody here has driven either. The negative voices: the usual suspects, the Echo-driving, domestic-bashing types who never have anything good to say about one car company in particular. Someone driving an Echo criticizing another car of any make is like John Daly or Amy Winehouse criticizing someone's lifestyle.

There are definitely some usual suspects that are "import bashers" and "domestic bashers". But that still doesn't mean that a fruitful discussion can be had by saying "You drive an Echo so your opinion is invalid". That's basically what I'm taking your comment from before to mean.

Anyways...

I wanted to comment on what Erik had written. This is a VERY good point... the Cruze will be the largest car for the money as far as I know and that could be very useful to people of a taller or larger stature. I do think personally that the lower power will be difficult to swallow. Maybe a 1.8T or a 2.0T can be arranged for later? :)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:50 am »
I should point out I seen both cars. Only from the outside.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 01:42:13 pm »
Oh come on what's wrong with an Echo? They're no-frills, light and drive like go-karts. I wanted one as a second car to my Mazda 5.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »
Oh come on what's wrong with an Echo? They're no-frills, light and drive like go-karts. I wanted one as a second car to my Mazda 5.

I think th e Echo is a great car. After driving all day in a top of the range Impala (Company Car) I like the Echo even more. It's great even on the highway it never feels that small. It will happily do 120 all day long and sips gas. The seats are firm but comfortable. The steering is priciest and it doesn't even have all that much body roll, considering the high center of gravity and they simple don't brake they are simple great little cars they don't bore me like the Corolla did. I pick the Echo over the Corolla.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:37:55 pm by Ontariodriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:28 pm »

I think th e Echo is a great car. After driving all day in a top of the range Impala (Company Car) I like the Echo even more. It's great even on the highway it never feels that small. It will happily do 120 all day long and sips gas. The seats are firm but comfortable. The steering is priciest and it doesn't even have all that much body roll, considering the high center of gravity and they simple don't brake the simple great little cars they don't bore me like the Corolla did. I pick the Echo over the Corolla.

Don't worry about what the troll says.  He's likely never had a nice enough car to require a "work car" or a "beater car".

So what kind of car do we have to have so we have "cred" around here?   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:30:35 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 12:07:49 pm »
The steering is priciest and it doesn't even have all that much body roll...

I'm assuming you mean "precise"? If so, I have to say that this is the most original way I've ever seen the word spelled out...  ;D

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 06:34:29 pm »
Don't worry about what the troll says. 

Me no-way Echo's are too fab for that.  ;D

\I have to say that this is the most original way I've ever seen the word spelled out...  ;D

:P

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 12:50:20 pm »
Another review, from TTAC. They like it a lot:

For drivers who are not particularly worried about over-the-road sportiness, the Cruze could very well be the current class leader, and it’s likely to hold that position at least until the next “Euro” Ford Focus arrives next year. For the first time in modern history, a Chevrolet compact car is legitimately the class of the field.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2011-chevrolet-cruze/#more-361856

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »

Yes that is a surprise considering how tough they are on cars.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 01:05:02 pm »

Yes that is a surprise considering how tough they are on cars.

And in particular about their dislike for any GM car or anything to do with GM. If the Cruze can win those guys over, then it must be a heck of a great car.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:56 pm »
They gave these two G8 models even more glowing ratings. Of course GM ceased to sell it to the public shortly thereafter ('natch ;) ):

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/category/reviews/pontiac/

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »
They still got their digs in:

The same cannot be said for the transmission. DSG and Powershift have made this torque-converter box obsolete in the class. While it offers a full six ratios compared to Toyota’s four, this is a transmission that is always in motion, always shifting, and always intruding on the experience. It should be junked, and soon. If you’re considering a Cruze, get the manual transmission. It wasn’t made available for us to drive, but it can’t be worse.

Unfortunately, it’s priced like the class of the field, too. The base car starts at $16,995 and features the 1.8 Ecotec coupled with a more-than-healthy dollop of airbags and other safety features. The top-of-the-line LTZ-RS rings the cash register for $23,300 or thereabouts and doesn’t have a navigation system at that price. Will cash have to be laid on the hood to move these cars?

During the PR event in dreary Washington, DC, home of General Motors’ corrupt government owners and the mendacious lobbyists who pull their strings, we were continually reminded that the Cruze has been successfully sold in “sixty countries” so far. This is correct, and it’s troubling. To some degree, the Cruze is already old news upon its arrival here, the same way the Ford Fiesta has had a nice long run in Europe prior to visiting Ellis Island. Why?

The answer is simple: this is a Daewoo.........................but the plain fact of the matter is that the Daewoo Lacetti was largely engineered, styled, and developed by Daewoo in Korea. It was then modified in some detail to become the Chevrolet Cruze. It’s a Korean car, and if it isn’t quite a Korean-market transplant like the Aveo, it’s very far from being a European design like the Ford Focus or VW Jetta.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:05:17 pm by toolatecrew »