Author Topic: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money  (Read 69073 times)

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:22:05 pm »
http://media.gm.ca/content/media/ca/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2010/July/0715_Cruze_Pricing

All-New 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
2010-07-15

Starting MSRP of just $14,995
Best in class fuel consumption expected*
Best in class standard safety features
Segment exclusive OnStar with first-ever Mobile Apps
More interior room and cargo capability than Civic, Corolla and Mazda3
Best coverage in Canada: 5 year/160,000 km powertrain warranty

Oshawa, Ontario (July 15, 2010) – The all-new 2011 Chevrolet Cruze will arrive in Canadian dealerships this October, with a starting MSRP of just $14,995.  The Cruze is designed to deliver segment-leading attributes most important to compact car customers including best in class fuel consumption* and safety.  With two sophisticated and highly efficient 4-cylinder engines, both paired with 6-speed transmissions, the Cruze offers a fun, responsive and refined driving experience.  Cruze also connects with today’s tech-savvy buyer and will offer the industry’s first-ever mobile applications through OnStar. 

“With its segment leading attributes and impressive content for the money, the Cruze aims to change what customers have come to expect in a compact car,” said Marc Comeau, Canadian vice president of Chevrolet sales, service and marketing.  “With more than 250,000 sales since its 2009 debut, the Cruze has been a tremendous hit with customers around the globe and we are convinced it will hit the sweet spot in the Canadian compact car segment.”

At launch, the 2011 Cruze will be offered in LS, LT Turbo and LTZ Turbo models, followed by a high-efficiency LT Eco model available in late 2010.

Cruze LS starting at $14,995, including:

Standard 1.8L Ecotec engine and six-speed manual transmission
The most standard safety features in the segment, with 10 air bags, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control, anti-lock brakes, collapsible pedal system, power rear-door child safety locks
Standard convenience features including, power windows, power door locks with remote keyless entry and driver information center with oil life monitor
Cruze LT Turbo starting at $19,495, including: 

Standard 1.4L Ecotec turbo and six-speed automatic transmission
16-inch chrome fascia wheels
Air conditioning, cruise control and body coloured power heated outside mirrors
XM Satellite Radio with 12 months of service and an up-level radio display
Cruze LTZ Turbo starting at $24,780, including:

Standard 1.4L Ecotec turbo and six-speed automatic transmission 
Standard six-way power driver seat, heated front seats and leather seating surfaces, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Standard Bluetooth phone connectivity, USB port with audio interface, steering-wheel mounted audio controls, and remote vehicle start
Standard automatic climate control, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, and ultrasonic rear-parking assist
17-inch alloy wheels
Major optional features on Cruze include:

In-dash navigation system with 40-gigabyte hard drive, enabling pause-and-play radio, downloading of audio CDs, or transferring MP3 files from a USB memory device
Pioneer Audio system, with nine speakers and 250-watt amplifier
Power sunroof
RS Appearance package, including rocker mouldings, unique front and rear fascias, front fog lamps, rear spoiler and sport chassis
The Chevrolet Cruze is attractively styled (inside and out) and has been engineered to the highest quality and durability standards.  In fact, Cruze has logged more than 6.5 million kilometres of customer durability testing across all major continents in the harshest geographical and climate conditions.

blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze: More Compact Car for the Money
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:32:46 pm »
So in the real world that $14,995 is probably $17 or $18 k with ac and automatic which I'm sure is how most customers will buy it and most dealers will stock it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:04 pm »
I haven't heard many (any?) positive reviews about the non-turbo base engine.  And pretty much all positive about the turbo engines.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »
Best coverage in Canada: 5 year/160,000 km powertrain warranty

Lie - Mitsubishi offers 10 years/160000 km powertrain warranty in Canada.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »
Can't get the turbo with a manual transmission? Really?  :think:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:32 pm »

Wow, really?  Yea...that sucks aplenty.....especially since the NA engine sounds so bad...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:35:06 pm »
..TOM  TOM is that U...................... :think: :nono: :hello:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »
10 airbags?

So they added 2x Knee and 2x Rear Side (not the same as Curtains)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »

The LT "Eco" model will have 6 speed manual and the 1.4L Turbo along with some aerodynamic refinements. Or at least that's what has been posted on AutoBlog previously.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:05:02 pm »
Most standard features in segment?

Kia Forte LX (base model) comes with  Bluetooth STANDARD for 15 795. You need to move up to the to the LTZ at 25k to get bluetooth standard.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 09:40:23 am »

The LT "Eco" model will have 6 speed manual and the 1.4L Turbo along with some aerodynamic refinements. Or at least that's what has been posted on AutoBlog previously.

Correct. I was surprised a MT isn't offered with the 1.4L Turbo RS package though too.

Base pricing is very sharp IMO. Was expecting GM to (stupidly) price it at a premium based on previous boastful PR releases, but am happy they aren't.

This vehicle should do very well. And for a change, its sales won't be just be proportional to discounts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:47:33 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:59 am »
I don't know, the Cruze is just so bland.  Especially compared to the upcoming Focus.  That thing is going to blow the Cruze right out of the water.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:42:33 am »
I don't know, the Cruze is just so bland.  Especially compared to the upcoming Focus.  That thing is going to blow the Cruze right out of the water.

I don't belive that actually . Personally I have 0 interest in the Cruze but there is a huge market who doesn't care about the Euro feel of the new Focus. They want interior room, features and big car feel for a small car price. That is the market I see the Cruze going after. Its more geared to competing with a Corolla and the Focus with say the Mazda 3. If its going to win buyers it will need to be on refinement, economy features and price not excitiment. Thats why I am surprised that they missed on something like standard Bluetooth something that Kia has in even its lowest priced compact.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57:35 pm »
There are two directions that compacts take. One is the cheap and frugal family car and the other is the sporty but practical car.

The Focus and Mazda3 definitely fall into the second category while the Corolla and Cruze fall into the first. The Civic and Elantra, depending on the model/trim chosen, fit into both. Even my Corolla XRS tries to edge into the sporty category.

I don't think it was wrong for GM to go the conservative styling approach with the corporate grille and fairly clean lines. It's also larger than everything else in it's class especially for the interior (I believe the EPA will classify it as a mid-size)... if fuel costs go much higher in the US then they will undoubtedly grab a portion of the lucrative mid-size market with a car that is priced much lower but gets much better fuel economy. It's not a bad hole to plug in their otherwise SUV and large car dominated portfolio.  Versus the current gen Corolla.. I have to admit that the Cruze looks much better styling wise and it bests it for fuel economy too.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 06:42:11 pm »
I don't belive that actually . Personally I have 0 interest in the Cruze but there is a huge market who doesn't care about the Euro feel of the new Focus. They want interior room, features and big car feel for a small car price. That is the market I see the Cruze going after. Its more geared to competing with a Corolla and the Focus with say the Mazda 3. If its going to win buyers it will need to be on refinement, economy features and price not excitiment. Thats why I am surprised that they missed on something like standard Bluetooth something that Kia has in even its lowest priced compact.

:iagree:  The previous gen Mazda 3 had the looks and driving feel to blow away the Corolla and Civic...and sold way less than they did.

If not having standard Bluetooth is the Cruze's biggest issue, then they've done well.

Many 'round here see it as a good tihng that many sports cars can't be ordered in a stick...yet we criticize Cruze.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 07:03:03 pm »
$ 24,780- without a power sunroof, with only 138 HP, 148 torque? More compact car for the money? Would someone PLEASE shut these marketing liars up, and now.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »
So in the real world that $14,995 is probably $17 or $18 k with ac and automatic which I'm sure is how most customers will buy it and most dealers will stock it.

Yer the Cruze really needs to be, this car looks so dated against the fords. This price will be down to 12K in 2 years for a base anyways. LOL

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »
We love to use the 3 as a target for compact makers, but honestly, with the US market, the real target is the Corolla.  The Cruze is designed to go head to head with that car.  Buyers in that segment want looks that are pleasant, but don't date quickly (of look funny, ala the 3's smile) a comfortable ride, great fuel economy, low operating costs, and lots of value for the price.  GM needs to drive volume, and that's the right combination for large sales numbers.  The last thing they want to do is match the sales in the US of the Mazda 3.

CatsEye68

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 10:24:55 pm »
Yer the Cruze really needs to be, this car looks so dated against the fords. This price will be down to 12K in 2 years for a base anyways. LOL

What's that you're driving again? Ah yes, an Echo. You've got lots of cred.

Don't fret -- maybe you'll win the lottery or something and be able to afford a Cruze yourself someday.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
We love to use the 3 as a target for compact makers, but honestly, with the US market, the real target is the Corolla.  The Cruze is designed to go head to head with that car.  Buyers in that segment want looks that are pleasant, but don't date quickly (of look funny, ala the 3's smile) a comfortable ride, great fuel economy, low operating costs, and lots of value for the price.  GM needs to drive volume, and that's the right combination for large sales numbers.  The last thing they want to do is match the sales in the US of the Mazda 3.

Trouble is the Cruze is 5 years to late this should have been the Chevy Cobalt. It will sell to GM Loyalist and Fleet and Rental Companies. But a informed consumer will expect a heftily discount without that, once they drive the Focus. The won't bother coming back IMO.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/chevrolet/cruze-saloon/summary/25843-2

For The Cruze has a much better cabin than existing Chevrolet buyers will be used to, and it looks pretty funky, too. The bargain-bucket price and warranty package will be tempting

Against The petrol engines are gutless, it's not particularly exciting or comfortable to drive and it's not as practical as a hatchback

What's that you're driving again? Ah yes, an Echo. You've got lots of cred.

Don't fret -- maybe you'll win the lottery or something and be able to afford a Cruze yourself someday.

LOL has nothing to do with money. I choose what I want to drive. What cred's got to do with driving an Echo. Who wants to blow 15-17 or 22-25 grand on a car or have lease payments or even financing. I'm done with that game. I own just recently an 8th gen Civic for 3 years. I've even own a NA Mk3 focus. So been there done that. I'm really happy with my Echo and every-time I  get to the pump or drive the car any where it brings a smile out in me because  it cost peanuts to buy. Almost nothing to run and I get this I own it outright. What's not to like???