Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Quest, 2004-2009  (Read 8901 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Quest, 2004-2009
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:22:03 am »

The Nissan Quest minivan has had quite a few reliability problems, but "none of its common flaws are super-serious," says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.   And most of its competitors have also experienced problems, he notes.

Read More...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan Quest, 2004-2009
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:16 am »
Geez this thing sounds like a bucket of bolts ... like the Titan...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:20 am »
At what point does the accumulation of not 'super-serious' issues becomes 'super-serious'?  ;D

Climate control problems, A/C who can't keep temperature, sqeaks/rattles, vibrating tires, dead batteries, doors/tailgate that won't open/close, water leak near the top of the headliner, premature brake wear and rotors that warp easily. I don't know... how is the sum of all those possible problems not 'super-serious'?

So, if I'm summarizing the Quest, it's got a good powertrain, and that's about it. Good to know.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:43:39 am »
Same with the Titan.  I believe Nissan makes great powertrains... oh wait A great powertrain the VQ after that it's all downhill.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32:13 pm »
I have a 2004 model. Its been reasonable reliable. The DVD system broke. Its on its second battery. Did have any door or A/C issues. Some of the interior trim has broken. The worse thing is the brakes (which I understand is common on Nissans - probably worse on the heavy Quest) - need replaced more often than I think is reasonable due to warping. But we saved thousands over a Honda/Toyota and no transmissions problems like 90% of other vans.

aknutson

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:12 pm »
At what point does the accumulation of not 'super-serious' issues becomes 'super-serious'?  ;D

Climate control problems, A/C who can't keep temperature, sqeaks/rattles, vibrating tires, dead batteries, doors/tailgate that won't open/close, water leak near the top of the headliner, premature brake wear and rotors that warp easily. I don't know... how is the sum of all those possible problems not 'super-serious'?

So, if I'm summarizing the Quest, it's got a good powertrain, and that's about it. Good to know.

As with any used car, it's a mixed guess as to what you're getting, and it is unlikely that one single vehicle would be plagued by ALL these issues - it's just an accumulation of what SOME owners have experienced. I've talked to owners of used VW's who have had next to no problems with their cars, a brand that is historically plagued by electrical and mechanical malfunctions. You can't look at used cars the same as you do new ones, it's not that easy - you could take 5 used cars of the same year/make/model and each would have differences due to ownership, type of use, etc.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:25:04 pm »

Well, if the powertrain is good, then you can probably still drive the car, even if the brakes shudder, the A/C is busted, the roof leaks whenever it rains and you have to open/close the doors and tailgate manually. =)
I used to work here.

mk99

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »
My wife's 2007 has only 50K on it and has been mostly decent with the exception of rear brakes & an annoying tire pressure light.  The rear brakes tend to rust and turn to hell in no time.  Nissan said "don't park it outside". ?!?

I think it's inexcusable to have to replace rear brakes twice in 3 years and 50K of driving.  You can almost watch them slowly rust into oblivion.  Oh and my wife cannot be described as an "enthusiast" who might be hard on the brakes.   The other minor but annoying issue is the tire pressure monitoring light goes off frequently whenever the seasons change and needs to be reset.

Overall I give the car a B- and wouldn't buy another Nissan or recommend it

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »
IMO Nissan is the Chrysler of the Japanese Big 3.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 06:02:58 pm »

According to CR that would make you wrong. 

Good ole Snowy is back to complement Artic, rrocket and co. ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 06:05:55 pm »

Snowy...don't insult Chrysler.  Nissan is BELOW Chrysler in the JD Power Dependability Study.... :stick:

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:10:12 pm »

Snowy...don't insult Chrysler.  Nissan is BELOW Chrysler in the JD Power Dependability Study.... :stick:

JD Powers :rofl:

1.80 problems per Nissan car sure beats 1.0 sticky gas pedal or 1.0 defective engine or 1.0 rusty frame or 1.0 defective steering...get my drift ;)

You're sinking to new lows rrocket :surrend:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:18:24 pm by Altima1 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:03 pm »
I don't think so.  The same JD Powers that says domestic quality has risen to new highs this year, while the import brands are falling?  The same JD Powers that showed Toyota quality nosedived due to recalls?  The same one that shows Buick & Lincoln as the highest quality American marques...higher than EVERY Japanese and Euro companies  except Porsche?  Are those all lies too?   ::)

Like it or not, JD Powers has a higher consumer responses rate to their vehicle dependability questionnaires than does CR.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:18:40 pm by rrocket »

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »
I don't think so.  The same JD Powers that says domestic quality has risen to new highs this year, while the import brands are falling?  The same JD Powers that showed Toyota quality nosedived due to recalls?  The same one that shows Buick & Lincoln as the highest quality American marques...higher than EVERY Japanese and Euro companies  except Porsche?  Are those all lies too?   ::)

Like it or not, JD Powers has a higher consumer responses rate to their vehicle dependability questionnaires than does CR.

What you're missing is that 1.0 engine for whatever car is way worse than 1.0 squeak.  Anyhow we've all been down that path before, you've obviously missed it.  Hey hey all of a sudden you're cheering domestics... :banana:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:23 pm »

What you're missing is that 1.0 engine for whatever car is way worse than 1.0 squeak.  Anyhow we've all been down that path before, you've obviously missed it.  Hey hey all of a sudden you're cheering domestics... :banana:

I've said for some time that a) Buick has made tremendous strides in quality and product. b) Several GM cars have improved dramatically on the quality front (CTS, Malibu).

I've mentioned this before (you've obviously missed it!) that here at the manufacturing level that some of the domestics have demanded much, MUCH higher levels of quality in their parts than in years past.  Before, they didn't care much, and it was evident by how much the wanted to spend and how little they cared about materials and processes being used.  I have stated that several of the domestics products we've made have been every bit as good as the attention to detail that the imports have.

And I didn't miss anything.  That's a 3 year dependability study...the one which shows how reliable overall a marque is.   The one with the "squeaks and rattles" is the Initial Quality Study.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:33:35 pm by rrocket »

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 08:30:40 pm »
Same with the Titan.  I believe Nissan makes great powertrains... oh wait A great powertrain the VQ after that it's all downhill.

I don't know how reliable this is but on Top Gear, Clarkson keeps calling this VQ engine a Renault (Nissan 350Z review).  I know that Renault took over Nissan some time ago, but I though this engine has it's roots farther back than that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 08:46:16 pm »

I don't know how reliable this is but on Top Gear, Clarkson keeps calling this VQ engine a Renault (Nissan 350Z review).  I know that Renault took over Nissan some time ago, but I though this engine has it's roots farther back than that.

Well the very basis of the VQ has been around since 1994.  Renault took control in 1999 or 2000.  Did Renualt have DIRECT input into the VQ35?  I dunno.  The engine is built in Nissan plants in the USA and Japan.

markathome

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 11:51:09 am »
Few notes to the article that were missed.
The Quest was produced first in mid-2003 as a 2004 in a new factory in Mississippi.  This new plant also produced the new Titan and Infiniti QX56.  All these vehicles had first year, first model, new factory issues. After Nissan corporate became aware in early 2004, they sent a team of engineers to the plant to address all the issues.  Point being, if you bought one of these, that were first out of the factory until spring 2004, you will have issues.  However, Nissan released many many Technical Service Bulletins to their dealer network to address all the customer issues.  Beyond the assembly issues, there were new vehicle design issues which were also addressed in the TSB.  Carlos Ghosn (corporate CEO) personally became involved and issued the resolution of issues.  Some research on the Quest will reveal that most all the issues were addressed in the 2004 Quest after ~40,000 build mark.  So, if looking at a 2004, check the VIN and buy a model with a ending number higher than this.  Otherwise, make sure you take it to the dealer to have all the TSB issues resolved.
We have a 04 Quest SE, which was built after this 'magic build number', we followed up with all TSB's issued after our purchase date and other than those, we have not had it back to the dealer for build/quality issues in about 4 years.  That initial 2 year period was annoying as we had many TSB's. Also of note, Nissan has a 'secret warranty' for the 2004 model in which they increased the powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles for original owners.  Of course, there aren't powertrain issues for the SE 5-speed model.  The 4 speed auto does have some issues and associated TSB's.
We have 80,000 miles on our SE.  We have replaced the rear brake pads twice, we have replaced the front brake pads once and had the front rotors turned to reduce brake vibration.  The battery died last year, 5 years old, so that was normal.  We have the occasional front sunroof leak because the drain tube stops up.  I just unclog it and all is fine. We have replaced the tires three times.
We love our van and will be buying the new Quest model, just not the 'first year'.
 :D