Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1  (Read 40785 times)

Online Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Re: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 10:45:41 am »
Quote from day 3 test drive.

Steering feel on straight roads leaves a lot to be desired, however. It feels like a rubber band on-center and as a result there’s a delay to the car’s responses that, until you’re accustomed to it, has you correcting and then overcorrecting as it takes longer than you expect for the vehicle to do what you ask.

BINGO!!!!!! This is the same thing I read on other sites about steering. This is the deal breaker on what is an interesting car. (Foot operated hand brake... there is an oxymoron... does not help either)
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

GA1949

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:51 am »
I like the styling of the new Sonata, but will not be purchasing another Hyundai product regardless.  Our 2006 Sonata V6 has been a profound disappointment with one problem after another.  Under warranty it was an ordeal to have the all-too-frequent repairs completed satisfactorily, even when it left us on the side of the road more than once (and Hyundai roadside assistance is simply a bad joke).

Moreover, the car has creaked constantly since new, suggesting less than adequete suspension engineering and chassis flex.

We've lost any confidence whatsoever that Hyundai is willing to stand behind its products.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 11:57:11 am »
I like the styling of the new Sonata, but will not be purchasing another Hyundai product regardless.  Our 2006 Sonata V6 has been a profound disappointment with one problem after another.  Under warranty it was an ordeal to have the all-too-frequent repairs completed satisfactorily, even when it left us on the side of the road more than once (and Hyundai roadside assistance is simply a bad joke).

Moreover, the car has creaked constantly since new, suggesting less than adequete suspension engineering and chassis flex.

We've lost any confidence whatsoever that Hyundai is willing to stand behind its products.

Could you please elaborate? I'm curious to hear about those frequent repairs, and why you thought Hyundai's roadside assistance was a joke.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »
Oh, I noticed thrashiness all right.  It wasn't horrible, and nowhere close to a deal-breaker, but it was noticeable.  I've also read as much in more than a couple reviews.

My Dad's 4-pot Accord is smoother and quieter.  The Passat CC 2.0T I test drove the same day was also smoother and quiter.

Jaeger

The Passat CC is a good looking car inside and out, but after sitting in it at the Autoshow, there was one very big problem.  The back seat is a joke.  That sloping roofline makes anyone near 6' tall, brush their heads against the roof.  And I also remember there being a centre console in the back, making it a 4 seater, not a 5 like every other sedan.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2010, 05:14:31 pm »
Oh, I noticed thrashiness all right.  It wasn't horrible, and nowhere close to a deal-breaker, but it was noticeable.  I've also read as much in more than a couple reviews.

My Dad's 4-pot Accord is smoother and quieter.  The Passat CC 2.0T I test drove the same day was also smoother and quiter.

Jaeger

The Passat CC is a good looking car inside and out, but after sitting in it at the Autoshow, there was one very big problem.  The back seat is a joke.  That sloping roofline makes anyone near 6' tall, brush their heads against the roof.  And I also remember there being a centre console in the back, making it a 4 seater, not a 5 like every other sedan.

It's only a joke if you need to carry 6 footers in back.  Definitely a cozy back seat, but not cramped for 90% or more (I'm guessing here) of likely passengers.  And in 4 years of ownership, I've had 3 passengers in the back seat of my Altima exactly once.

Just test drove a manual Sonata.  Now I'm very conflicted.  I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  As with most cars, rowing your own ups the fun factor significantly.  Price was unbelievably good - listing at under $23k it's a ridiculously nice car for the money.  And being the lightest Sonata, it also felt pretty sprightly with that strong DI motor.  But I've been spoiled by all the the toys on my Altima.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:48:28 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

dragonflyjack

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2010, 11:13:29 pm »

Jaeger

It's only a joke if you need to carry 6 footers in back.  Definitely a cozy back seat, but not cramped for 90% or more (I'm guessing here) of likely passengers.  And in 4 years of ownership, I've had 3 passengers in the back seat of my Altima exactly once.

Just test drove a manual Sonata.  Now I'm very conflicted.  I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  As with most cars, rowing your own ups the fun factor significantly.  Price was unbelievably good - listing at under $23k it's a ridiculously nice car for the money.  And being the lightest Sonata, it also felt pretty sprightly with that strong DI motor.  But I've been spoiled by all the the toys on my Altima.

Jaeger

Hehe Jaeger..what did I say??? And...to answer an earlier question...there aren't a boatload of standard shifts around...But..there are some...If demand picks up, and it just might, there might be a lot more...
   I don't get Wings comments about the brakes having no feel...I think it has great brakes...and the steering is very good also...the car does not wander around the road...There are no deal breakers here...at least in my books...
                          Jaeger knows....dragonfly

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:00 pm »
This car has generated a large amount of comments, mostly very positive.

A couple of years ago I drove a rental Camry from Perth to Darwin. A 4 cylinder it drank fuel the way Aussies drink beer, I averaged 9.3 L per 100 km over 6,500 kms in just under a month, mostly highway kms with the AC on and cruise control at the speed limit of 110 km per hr. My V6 3.5 L Olds Intrigue does much better at even faster speeds in similar desert conditions in the Western USA, 7.8 L per 100 km

To achieve 6 L per 100 km is outstanding at any speed for such a large car

I test drive a few cars per year for future consideration to purchase and this one has just made the list to try, It will be the first one this year. Last year it was the Jetta TDI and the BMW 335d and Fit

Keep up the good work James
the new Sonata gets fantastic fuel economy, especially on the highway..almost diesel like, without the extra cost of the diesel engine.

how about over 1000 MILES on one tank of fuel: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32860&highlight=2011+hyundai+sonata

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 07:22:37 am »
dragonfly - I noticed no issue with the steering, either - though my recent test drive consisted almost entirely of twisty roads as I wanted to get a feel for the shifter / clutch.  Driving a steady pace on a highway tells you nothing about that. 

As it stands, it's a pretty compelling combination of style, space, comfort and driving enjoyment.  If they just gave you just one level up with the stick - or even allowed you to purchase a few options for it, it would an irresistible choice.  In any event, having driven the stick, it's right up there in contention for a replacement for the Altima.

Jaeger

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 08:21:48 am »
I love the price of this Sonata 20 something for a base with a manual is a real kick in the pants for the competition. Thats Civic money. Not sure about the steering from what I read from Wing thats kind of off putting But at almost 22 if you add admin I could over look that.

Offline RH

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 10:53:20 am »
While Hyundai has done an excellent job with exterior styling and the new fuel efficient high power 4 cylinder engine - I wonder about the value proposition for the features offered.  Other manufacturers have some unbelieveable offers right now.  For example take a Canadian Driver 2010 Top Ten pick like the Ford Fusion.  Right now you can buy a 2010 Fusion SEL 4 cyl, automatic for $3,628 less than a 2011 Sonota GL automatic.  And for saving $3,628 ($4,064 after tax in BC) you get fog lamps, automatic light control, 17" alloy wheels, auto dimming rear view mirror, 8 way power drivers seat, dual zone automatic climate control and a keyless digital entry pad.  That's a lot of extra features for a lot less coin.  Granted, Hyundai will finance for 0.9% for up to 5 years but it seems to me the additional features in the Fusion are hard to beat for the price.         

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »
james on day 3 i assume you were on the highway when you said you were driving CLOSE to 80 kms per hr does this mean you were driving under or over 80 for most of the trip?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »
Probably averaged 80km/h on highway 7 going 90 sometimes, 60 other times.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:48 pm »
I love the price of this Sonata 20 something for a base with a manual is a real kick in the pants for the competition. Thats Civic money.

Aint that the truth.  That I can get a midsize sedan that I actually want to own (not just settle for) for that kind of money has me pretty much blown away.

Jaeger

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »
I don't get why people complain about the rear seat space. All 6'4 of me fit in the back just fine. This is a mid-size car afterall. I don't expect limousine type rear space. Space up front was great.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »
everybody type is different
at over 6 my head hits the roofliner in the rear seat

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »
I don't get why people complain about the rear seat space.

Me neither.. I never sit in the back and could care less  ;D back seat space is never a consideration in my car purchases... :)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2010, 07:17:49 pm »
everybody type is different
at over 6 my head hits the roofliner in the rear seat

I don't doubt that some people will not be comfortable.

However, if at 6'4 I can find a comfortable space, then it really can't be THAT bad in the back seat.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »
[/quote]

I also sat in a CC at the Calgary show. Nice car but I banged my head getting in the back seat, then banged it again getting out. Either I was woozy from the first hit or I'm a slow learner...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »
While Hyundai has done an excellent job with exterior styling and the new fuel efficient high power 4 cylinder engine - I wonder about the value proposition for the features offered.  Other manufacturers have some unbelieveable offers right now.  For example take a Canadian Driver 2010 Top Ten pick like the Ford Fusion.  Right now you can buy a 2010 Fusion SEL 4 cyl, automatic for $3,628 less than a 2011 Sonota GL automatic.  And for saving $3,628 ($4,064 after tax in BC) you get fog lamps, automatic light control, 17" alloy wheels, auto dimming rear view mirror, 8 way power drivers seat, dual zone automatic climate control and a keyless digital entry pad.  That's a lot of extra features for a lot less coin.  Granted, Hyundai will finance for 0.9% for up to 5 years but it seems to me the additional features in the Fusion are hard to beat for the price.         

You are quite correct that at the moment Fusions are a better value. My bud just replaced his G35 with a fully loaded AWD Sport V6 that has a lot more (including Sync) than a top drawer Sonata and was only about $2000 more. I'm hoping in a couple of years there will be good incentives on the Sonata and they will have dealt with some of the new model issues like steering feel and loud injectors. Usually Hyundai listens to the critics so I'm optimistic...

diceman

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2010, 09:07:54 am »
I have driven the Fusion and Sonata back to back. Both are very nice, however I found the fusion to be quieter, more solid and better riding.  The Sonata is a very nice car but the ride was a little to sensitive and the interior materials not as good. I still really like the sonata and will definitely take one out again. The motor is great!!