Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1  (Read 40803 times)

Alex_S

Re: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:16 am »
^
|
|
|

Damn,, that IS nice...

Definitely agree.  For me, a toss up between the Kia interior and the Sonata.  I like the modern and clean lines of the Sonata dash (yes, it appears as if Hyundai plucked some nice attributes from Volvo, Lexus, Cadillac etc.. but the overall package comes together nicely).  However, the Kia has a very Euro-esque look to it but not sure if the red used in other Kia's/Audis will be overpowering at night..

The Sonata would probably suit me just fine.  I'd take the turbo, but probably in its 2nd or 3rd year of production

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 07:59:55 am »
The base Sonata is anything but a 'stripper'... compared to other brands' stripper models, the Sonata comes incredibly well-equipped. Other than steel wheels which can be easily replaced by alloys after the fact, I'd be perfectly fine with the base Sonata in terms of equipment.

Just curious Shnak whether the 2011 was on your radar when you purchased a 2010 Sonata? My 09 came to early to see what Hyundai had in store for the redesign. I'm aware you probably got good incentives on the 2010. Just wondering..

Yeah I tried a base 2011 but decided to go with a Limited 2010 instead for very similar money as I felt it was a little bit bigger. The 2011 felt a little 'closed-in' when driving as the B-pillar was literally 1/2" of my shoulder, and while the rear legroom is basically the same, the rear headroom was less than the 2010, no matter what the numbers say. Sitting in both back to back, it was clear to me that the 2010 offers a more comfortable and usable inside space. I also thought that the 2011's drivetrain, while powerful, wasn't as smooth as the 2010's. You felt the engine through the gas pedal a little bit, like you do in cheaper cars. Mind you, I could have lived with it without any problems, but I still felt it was a step back in terms of refinement. Opinions on this might vary I suppose.

I can't wait to see the Sonata wagon though... that should be an incredible vehicle, especially in turbo form!  :)

EDIT: After reading James's day two review, it reminded me of what I probably hated the most on the 2011... the floor parking brake pedal! It was exactly in the wrong spot where the front of my ankle would basically rest against it. Terrible terrible terrible! This is something Hyundai needs to fix in a hury. They should either make it a hand brake, or make it electronic with a button somewhere like the Passat. Floor parking brakes are for trucks, not cars.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:04:09 am by Shnak »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 09:08:00 am »
I think this Sonata is another HUGE win for Hyundai and for the Koreans in general - the "kansai" principle they borrowed from Toyota is really paying off.....

Kansai?  Maybe you're thinking of the "Banzai" principle they are using on Toyota and Honda?

dragonfly

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 09:16:26 am »
 Hey Schnak...I have a "stripper" 2011 Sonata GLS...with 6 speed manual tranny...It has a proper handbrake...amongst many other very nice features...I can see your point in the comparison between the '10 and '11 models, the sloping rear of the roof may cut into headroom a touch..but I find it quite commodious back there...I never sat in the back, or front of a 2010 model, so I can't comment...You're right about the steel wheels....I'll be getting some nice black 18 inchers...soon as wifey lets up on the purse strings..hehe.
    I've had the car for about 3 months now, and have 2500 miles on it...It is smooth, fast and very economical...I'm getting 29 MPG on this current tankful, about a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving...I took it on a 60 mile roadtrip of mostly highway...hilly, 70-75 MPH driving and got 37.1 MPG..Amazing...The shifter is not perfect, but it's ok...the gates are pretty exact..throws could be a bit shorter...my daughters '98 BMW must have spoiled me on shifters...That lovely feeling of control and snickiness that I love is still there. I also have the aforementioned "babypoop" tan interior...which is, in effect, two tone..the dash is dark upper and lighter lower...Very nice...and I really like the material and color...and as Wing says...the dash is overall very ergonomic and pleasant to touch and use... He never mentioned the satellite radio/CD player..It has a great sound...Surprisingly so..This is a great car....Thanks for your time    dragonfly

aknutson

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 09:22:51 am »
I'm interested in the materials grade in this car. While the looks are decently modern and stylish, I wonder if that's a front so that people don't notice the cheap plastic? Maybe not, I don't know. I drive an older Mazda Protege5, but surprisingly the interior is assembled with a variety of quality materials - from the padded armrests on the door to textured grab-handles, carbon-fibre-look console accents and a relatively soft dash topper. When I sat in a new Mazda3 I noticed immediately that things had been 'cheaped out' as far as materials grade, and I think this is part of how they are keeping the cost of new cars down.

Honda is pretty famous for having a well buttoned-down interior that feels precise, comfortable and well constructed - I wonder if this Sonata offers the same feel of quality? A new Accord starts at $24,800 so the comparison is pretty direct.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 09:24:11 am »
As mentioned materials seem fine for the class, elbow padding is sufficient and the dash is "soft touch" for you dash strokers.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 09:40:19 am »
Hey Schnak...I have a "stripper" 2011 Sonata GLS...with 6 speed manual tranny...It has a proper handbrake...amongst many other very nice features...I can see your point in the comparison between the '10 and '11 models, the sloping rear of the roof may cut into headroom a touch..but I find it quite commodious back there...I never sat in the back, or front of a 2010 model, so I can't comment...You're right about the steel wheels....I'll be getting some nice black 18 inchers...soon as wifey lets up on the purse strings..hehe.
    I've had the car for about 3 months now, and have 2500 miles on it...It is smooth, fast and very economical...I'm getting 29 MPG on this current tankful, about a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving...I took it on a 60 mile roadtrip of mostly highway...hilly, 70-75 MPH driving and got 37.1 MPG..Amazing...The shifter is not perfect, but it's ok...the gates are pretty exact..throws could be a bit shorter...my daughters '98 BMW must have spoiled me on shifters...That lovely feeling of control and snickiness that I love is still there. I also have the aforementioned "babypoop" tan interior...which is, in effect, two tone..the dash is dark upper and lighter lower...Very nice...and I really like the material and color...and as Wing says...the dash is overall very ergonomic and pleasant to touch and use... He never mentioned the satellite radio/CD player..It has a great sound...Surprisingly so..This is a great car....Thanks for your time    dragonfly

Great to hear you really like your 2011. I'm curious to know what you mean by proper handbrake? Does the manual Sonata come with a handbrake while the automatic Sonata comes with a footbrake?

And as a tall guy (a hair over 6'3"), I definitely noticed the difference in rear head room when sitting in the 2010 and 2011 back to back. But someone closer to 6', I suspect he'd be just fine in either cars.

In the end, it really came down to equipment... base 2011 or fully loaded 2010. I went for the 2010 with the upgraded audio, auto climate control, navigation, etc.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:30 am »
Shnak I could see the parking brake issue if you have large feet 12-13" I am sitting n the car now and have about 2-3" clearance if I line up my foot straight on the foot rest, but I typically have my foot turned slightly.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:58 pm »

Was a base model with manual transmission hard to locate, or did they have a selection in stock?  My dealer only had autos and I was really wanting to give the manual a try.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:52 pm »
Shnak I could see the parking brake issue if you have large feet 12-13" I am sitting n the car now and have about 2-3" clearance if I line up my foot straight on the foot rest, but I typically have my foot turned slightly.

And it's not just that it's in the way of my leg when I'm driving; it's also that it's in the way when you get in the car or getting out. I had the exact same problem with my parents' Impala... foot parking brakes only work for trucks where there's plenty of room for your leg/feet to get around. The only reason they use foot parking brakes in cars is so that they don't have to deal with handbrakes when designing the center console. It's a cop out, and it sucks.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2010, 12:56:06 pm »
I like it a lot, and I'm seeing quite a bit of them on the roads in QC.  However, I too lament the lone choice if one wants to shift his own gears.  Ditto at Honda, where only the base Accord sedan is available with a stick.  Ditto at Nissan, and ditto at Ford.

Mazda, VW and  :o Toyota let you have a higher-grade model with a stick.

That being said, a Turbo Optima with stick would be awesome !

I too prefer the clean and understated dash of the KIA Magentis (Optima for you Americans) than the space age Sonata dash. The Sonata is nice fully loaded but almost pointless in its stripper base form and you can only get the manual transmission with the stripper... I'd rather get the new fully loaded Elantra with manual than a stripper Sonata.

The Camry oddly no longer comes with manual in Canada...

Accord sedan yes only the base model is available but for the first two model years you were able to get all trim lines with the 4 banger with stick shift. There is one about three blocks from my house, an 08 EX-L with leather and NAVI package with stick shift. There's one for sale in the Vancouver area.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/ctd/1839712943.html

You're right : the 2010 Camry SE was available with a stick, but they dropped it for 2011 (just checked).  Another option gone !  Forgot to add the new Legacy, available (?) with a stick, at least for now.

As for the Accord, the manual option was dropped for the EX and EX-L sedans for 2010.  For the Elantra, I believe only the base car is available with stick also.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Poops74

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:33 pm »
I'm very surprised at the number of people that dislike the style of the new Sonata.  I am the proud owner of a 2010 Limited model and a very satisfied with the car.  However, I can admit that while the styling is a little bland it is by know means offensive and it's clean lines will look great for years to come.  The 2011 model and its Passat CC styling cues looks fresh and takes what was otherwise a great vehicle and brought it up a few notches.  A prominent US auto rag had the 2011 'SE' version (very dissapointed that Canada does not offer this dual exhaust, 18" wheel version) of the Sonata finish 1st in nearly every category against two formidable competitors in the Accord and new Legacy.  I love it,  and would be more than proud to have one in my driveway!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 03:21:49 pm »

And it's not just that it's in the way of my leg when I'm driving; it's also that it's in the way when you get in the car or getting out. I had the exact same problem with my parents' Impala... foot parking brakes only work for trucks where there's plenty of room for your leg/feet to get around. The only reason they use foot parking brakes in cars is so that they don't have to deal with handbrakes when designing the center console. It's a cop out, and it sucks.

That foot brake allowed them to put the shifter closer to the driver which felt great when I test drove one. It's a packaging thing, but I could see it being a problem for taller drivers. I'm about 5'9" so it fit me fine. Like Motor Trend I also think to dash materials are richer in my previous generation car.However that wouldn't stop me from purchasing the new one when my warranty is up  :)

Thanks for the well thought out input Shnak...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

dragonflyjack

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 09:51:49 pm »

The handbrake is a proper handbrake on the manual model that I have..It sits on the center console, behind the shifter, and works quite well, while being unobtrusive. By the way..the car's exterior is metallic black..interesting..
                                  dragonfly

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:24 pm »
You're right : the 2010 Camry SE was available with a stick, but they dropped it for 2011 (just checked).  Another option gone !  Forgot to add the new Legacy, available (?) with a stick, at least for now.

As for the Accord, the manual option was dropped for the EX and EX-L sedans for 2010.  For the Elantra, I believe only the base car is available with stick also.

It's too bad really, the 2AR-FE is Toyota's best four cylinder engine (IMO) without a GE (performance head) designation. Maybe the engine will find its way to the Corolla XRS. (RIP 2ZZ-GE)

You mean Sonata not Elantra. :)

We can get a Mazda 6 GT fully loaded with stick.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:01:42 am by DKaz »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:44 am »

The handbrake is a proper handbrake on the manual model that I have..It sits on the center console, behind the shifter, and works quite well, while being unobtrusive. By the way..the car's exterior is metallic black..interesting..
                                  dragonfly

Makes sense for a car with a manual transmission to have a handbrake right next to the shifter. And if they coud manage to make the handbrake fit in their center console design, why couldn't just leave the damn handbrake there when the car is in automatic form? It just doesn't make sense!!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46:49 am »
From day 3:
The 2.4-litre, four-cylinder gasoline direct injection engine is superb. I am uncertain where the complaints of harshness and noise that have been bantered about in the forums is coming from, as whether I am thrashing the 198hp engine to get onto the highway or slowly cruising around town it is smooth and quiet. In fact, I can’t think of many other four-cylinders that are much quieter.

That's great to hear James. While my impressions of the engine were different (I felt engine vibrations through the gas pedal), it might have been that the engine was cold or not broken in enough; it barely had any kms on the odo if I remember correctly.

I'm interested to hear your overall fuel consumption, and the type of driving you did... once you're done with the car, could you post your overall fuel consumption along with an estimation of the percentage of city/highway driving? That'll allow me to compare with what I've been getting so far with my Sonata!  :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:56 am »
Oh, I noticed thrashiness all right.  It wasn't horrible, and nowhere close to a deal-breaker, but it was noticeable.  I've also read as much in more than a couple reviews.

My Dad's 4-pot Accord is smoother and quieter.  The Passat CC 2.0T I test drove the same day was also smoother and quiter.

Jaeger

aknutson

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 08:43:16 am »
Great 3rd day review - appreciated the detailed updates. We have found similar items on our Santa Fe - extremely smooth with a compliant ride, great maneuverability, but mushy brake feel.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:46 am »
This car has generated a large amount of comments, mostly very positive.

A couple of years ago I drove a rental Camry from Perth to Darwin. A 4 cylinder it drank fuel the way Aussies drink beer, I averaged 9.3 L per 100 km over 6,500 kms in just under a month, mostly highway kms with the AC on and cruise control at the speed limit of 110 km per hr. My V6 3.5 L Olds Intrigue does much better at even faster speeds in similar desert conditions in the Western USA, 7.8 L per 100 km

To achieve 6 L per 100 km is outstanding at any speed for such a large car

I test drive a few cars per year for future consideration to purchase and this one has just made the list to try, It will be the first one this year. Last year it was the Jetta TDI and the BMW 335d and Fit

Keep up the good work James

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4729480344/