Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1  (Read 40792 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 12:05:22 pm »
I like everything about this car.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:30:35 pm »
I like it a lot, and I'm seeing quite a bit of them on the roads in QC.  However, I too lament the lone choice if one wants to shift his own gears.  Ditto at Honda, where only the base Accord sedan is available with a stick.  Ditto at Nissan, and ditto at Ford.

Mazda, VW and  :o Toyota let you have a higher-grade model with a stick.

That being said, a Turbo Optima with stick would be awesome !

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »
This car was at the top of my "must drive" list when it first came out.  The styling was a breath of fresh air but since its release it's started to become a bit "dated" already.  That grille grin is just too big.  That's what strikes me right away.

I did drive it and thought too that the engine was thrashy.  I asked the dealer to inform me when the ruby red model with cloth interior came into stock.  The day it came in I hot footed it over there.  I was in awe until I opened the door.  What WERE they thinking with that wretched colour of beige on the seats?  I've seen many beige interiors (none of which I really like) but this thing took the cake.  It's about the colour of something scraped out of a diaper.  I kid you not.  I was gone and off the lot in one minute flat, never to return.

Their black/grey cloth interior is excellent but the mono-tone of this beige boondoggle is beyond belief.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

aknutson

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:49 pm »
Hyundai definitely seems to be the car to beat in this segment (and some others). Personally I would wait for the 2011 turbo model!!! Direct injection + turbo =  274 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque plunked into a chassis that's among the very lightest in its class!! ;D

:iagree: Yep! 34 mpg, 0-60 in 6.5 and probably well under $30K CAD. Now if only it comes with a stick. I hope the Genesis Coupe gets this engine! The 200-hp 2.0T looks like a dog now, even if it is a good performer in its own right.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 12:50:43 pm »
^
|
|
|

Damn,, that IS nice...

Agreed...very nice!!!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 12:57:34 pm »
I like it a lot, and I'm seeing quite a bit of them on the roads in QC.  However, I too lament the lone choice if one wants to shift his own gears.  Ditto at Honda, where only the base Accord sedan is available with a stick.  Ditto at Nissan, and ditto at Ford.

Mazda, VW and  :o Toyota let you have a higher-grade model with a stick.

That being said, a Turbo Optima with stick would be awesome !

I too prefer the clean and understated dash of the KIA Magentis (Optima for you Americans) than the space age Sonata dash. The Sonata is nice fully loaded but almost pointless in its stripper base form and you can only get the manual transmission with the stripper... I'd rather get the new fully loaded Elantra with manual than a stripper Sonata.

The Camry oddly no longer comes with manual in Canada...

Accord sedan yes only the base model is available but for the first two model years you were able to get all trim lines with the 4 banger with stick shift. There is one about three blocks from my house, an 08 EX-L with leather and NAVI package with stick shift. There's one for sale in the Vancouver area.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/ctd/1839712943.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:06:20 pm by DKaz »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 01:15:12 pm »
The Sonata is nice fully loaded but almost pointless in its stripper base form and you can only get the manual transmission with the stripper... I'd rather get the new fully loaded Elantra with manual than a stripper Sonata.

The base Sonata is anything but a 'stripper'... compared to other brands' stripper models, the Sonata comes incredibly well-equipped. Other than steel wheels which can be easily replaced by alloys after the fact, I'd be perfectly fine with the base Sonata in terms of equipment.

Leviathan

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »
I'll quietly raise my hand and admit I don't like the style of the new Sonata.  :)
I don't dislike it per se but something isn't quite right about it. Mind you, I haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 02:15:22 pm »
It looks better up close.....don't think it would date(age) as fast as some fellow bloggers stated but time (and sales) will tell on that.
Can't wait for Wing's test drive.
On a sidenote, even though the stying is right on (with most), the Sonata 's front/back bodywork (and like almost all vehicles today) will require alot of $$$$$$ 's to repair in a low speed impact.
Any thoughts here gang?     ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

67 Piston Slap

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »
I still have pony in my mind. It will take a lot more than this to shake it off.
Even the Genesis doesn't help.
Let me try = No, it doesn't.
Sorry

This brings me back memories of my dad being skeptical/concerned about his first Samsung VCR back in the 80's: 'It cost too little and weighs nothing inside and its made in Korea. Ai.' I remember him saying that. El-Cheapo Samsung was replacing the heavy Panasonic (or was it a Sony Betamax?) VCR that had been to the repair shop one too many times. It really did not look and did not weigh as much as a Panasonic or Kenwood 'black face' and was acquired as an 'emergency backup' only.
And to top it off, mom disliked it because it did not match the Sony Trinitron nor the rest of the components.

Fast forward to 2010 and the damn Samsung is still there... still plays old VCR tapes for the grandkids like its nobody's business (Close Encounters on VHS anyone?) hooked-up to a big Sony (some habits are hard to break).

But the washing machine and drier are now - you guessed it - Samsung (formidable! Never a problem! So much quieter!). Ditto for the dishwasher..

My guess is dad is either over or forgot his earlier preconceptions for Korean goods.

Funny part is that during a car conversation... Dad said he has no confidence on Korean cars (He has a Peugeot and a Mazda in the Garage in South America). Honda and Toyota are OK, because they are good. But the Koreans? Nah, I will never risk buying one.

The newer generations will have no problem with intrinsic value when it comes to Korean metal. It's like us growing up with Sony Walkmans, Trinitron, TKR, Sansui, Nakamichi and what not: the  standards to have.

The older generations, baby bloomers and silent generation, on the other, could benefit from yet another Lexus/Acura/Infiniti re-branding trick.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 03:23:45 pm »
The Sonata is nice fully loaded but almost pointless in its stripper base form and you can only get the manual transmission with the stripper... I'd rather get the new fully loaded Elantra with manual than a stripper Sonata.

The base Sonata is anything but a 'stripper'... compared to other brands' stripper models, the Sonata comes incredibly well-equipped. Other than steel wheels which can be easily replaced by alloys after the fact, I'd be perfectly fine with the base Sonata in terms of equipment.

I agree - I sat in a base model in the showroom and literally didn't believe the saleswoman when she said it was the entry model - nothing bargain basement about it at all.  And I'd most DEFINITELY rather have it than any Elantra.  Still, there are some toys on the uplevel Sonatas that I would like to have, but can't if I want a manual transmission.

And a big raspberry to Hyundai for not offering the Sport model here.  :(

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline babstude

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 04:00:40 pm »
that Magentis interior reminds me of a Saab - i.e. the recessed and oval look to it - looks nice but really busy.

I think this Sonata is another HUGE win for Hyundai and for the Koreans in general - the "kansai" principle they borrowed from Toyota is really paying off.  Hyundai is going to be in the top 3 automakers in the world reliability and sales speaking.  It's just a matter of time.

CatsEye68

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 05:45:59 pm »
Don't like that Kia interior at all -- looks odd, sort of 1980s.

I like the looks of the Sonata, especially in lighter colors. Interested to hear of engine impressions -- some reports have both engines as sounding intrusive and noisy. Hard to get a 4-banger to put out enough power for a car this size without some sort of compromise.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 06:09:17 pm »
I stand corrected. Maybe I'll head to a Hyundai dealership this weekend to have a look.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 07:53:16 pm »
Don't like that Kia interior at all -- looks odd, sort of 1980s.

I like the looks of the Sonata, especially in lighter colors. Interested to hear of engine impressions -- some reports have both engines as sounding intrusive and noisy. Hard to get a 4-banger to put out enough power for a car this size without some sort of compromise.

That's exactly what I thought of Golf GTI and its mattress seats only supported my opinion..., until I got inside one. When you see it in person and touch it you understand it's a design that will always "do it", regardless of trends or fashions.  I really hope the Kia will use just as good materials as German makes.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 08:05:21 pm »
never been a big fan of hyundai - nothing special at all about their last gen engines
but the theta ll engines are right up to date with the best of them with direct injection - took them 43 months joint effort with chysler and mitsubishi do to it , but now is the big pay off , i feel sorry for honda - they don't partner up with anyone and put their extra doe into their mediocre
hybrids when they should have gone direct injectiion instead , which is a pity - now hyundai has the edge on horsepower and fuel economy that direct injection brings
hyundai is no pony anymore and jd power backs that up
i don't like the looks of the sonata but the 2011 -12 elantra looks good and i can't wait till the velostar comes out in 2012 -- its turbo model  does not take premium gas - can honda say that of their civic si
hyundai can play with the big boys now with their theta ll engines going into everything
mr toronto obviously doesn't follow cars closely as a hobby

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »
I don't care at all for the styling of this, although it's definitely better than the boring old one.  But the upcoming Kia sedan from this platform looks way better.  The Kia is sporty and trim, this Sonata is too wavy and busy for me.  That and the fact it looks like a Lexus ES.  But I'm still predicting that this car will really eat into sales of one of the Japanese sedans.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »

Just curious Shnak whether the 2011 was on your radar when you purchased a 2010 Sonata? My 09 came to early to see what Hyundai had in store for the redesign. I'm aware you probably got good incentives on the 2010. Just wondering..
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 12:09:34 am »
My vote goes in the "I like it" box. :thumbup:

I'll be more curious about James' driving impressions.  We had an '09 v6 Sonata as a rental for a month in the fall of '08.  Besides being a little softly sprung for my liking, I was very impressed.  I really liked the smooth v6, it had plenty of oomph.  I was a little surprised when I read the v6 was gone for the new one, and that it was a 4 cylinder only.

Hyundai dropped the v6 because they felt they could lead by example as VERY strict mileage limits are coming by 2016 model year in the US. This allowed them lighten the sub frame at the front which improves mileage. The I4 turbo will have more horsepower than the v6, but will likely not be as smooth.

Psst. There are some killer incentives on 2010 v6 Sonatas still in the system  ;)

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:16 am »

I think this Sonata is another HUGE win for Hyundai and for the Koreans in general - the "kansai" principle they borrowed from Toyota is really paying off.  Hyundai is going to be in the top 3 automakers in the world reliability and sales speaking.  It's just a matter of time.

Actually the Americans introduced "Kaisen" to the Japanese after WW2. Score one for them...If Hyundai is sometimes accused of "borrowing" others great ideas, it's how Japan came out on top in the long run. This bodes well for Hyundai.

From Wikipedia

"After World War II, to help restore Japan, American occupation forces brought in American experts to help with the rebuilding of Japanese industry. The Civil Communications Section (CCS) developed a Management Training Program that taught statistical control methods as part of the overall material. This course was developed and taught by Homer Sarasohn and Charles Protzman in 1949 and 1950. Sarasohn recommended William Deming for further training in Statistical Methods. The Economic and Scientific Section (ESS) group was also tasked with improving Japanese management skills and Edgar McVoy is instrumental in bringing Lowell Mellen to Japan to properly install the TWI programs in 1951. Prior to the arrival of Mellen in 1951, the ESS group had a training film done to introduce the three TWI "J" programs (Job Instruction, Job Methods and Job Relations)- the film was titled "Improvement in 4 Steps" (Kaizen eno Yon Dankai). This is the original introduction of "Kaizen" to Japan. For the pioneering, introducing, and implementing Kaizen in Japan, the Emperor of Japan awarded the Second Order Medal of the Sacred Treasure to Dr. Deming in 1960. Consequently, the Union of Japanese Science and Engineering (JUSE) instituted the annual Deming Prizes for achievements in quality and dependability of products in Japan. On October 18, 1989, JUSE awarded the Deming Prize to Florida Power & Light Company (FPL), based in the United States, for its exceptional accomplishments in its process and quality control management. FPL was "the first company outside of Japan to win the Deming Prize."
Reference: US National Archives - SCAP collection - PR NewsWire