Author Topic: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1  (Read 40775 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

James finds himself driving something other than a sports car for the first time in weeks. The car is the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, a sedan that breaks the family car mold stylistically. Follow along to see if it still delivers the family-car goods.
Read More...

Toronto1

Re: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:36:38 pm »
Too curvy for me for 2011 model.
It reminds me more of early 90's. I think this styling will last a year. that's all.
This car in 5 years will be sore sight for our eyes. Plus I still have pony in my mind. It will take a lot more than this to shake it off.
Even the Genesis doesn't help.

Let me try = No, it doesn't.
Sorry

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »
i have been reading numerous positive reviews of the new 2011 Sonata, so i decided to stop by the local dealership to see one first hand...i sat in a Limited with Nav model...the salesrep brought over the key fob so i could play around with all the neat features...i was really impressed with the fit and finish, the features and the overall package...i am going to take one for a drive next weekend...the new VW Jetta TDI was tops on my list, until i saw this car...now, i think it is the car to beat.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:04:50 am »
I still have pony in my mind. It will take a lot more than this to shake it off.
Sorry

You're kidding, right !? Are you really basing your impression on a model from the mid eighties. Honda and Toyota built a lot of crap before they got it right as well. I guess the 100,000 Canadians who bought Hyundais last year would beg to differ
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:13:09 am »
Since its image for quality and integrity took a nosedive betcha Toyota is crapping razor blades over the new Sonata. Maybe Honda too.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

jitsu303

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:54:48 am »
I like the styling overall.   The Accords/Camrys/Malibus/Fortes etc all blend together in this "appliance" niche.  The Sonata isn't as much a clone anymore.

If you think it's going to be dated in 5 years, trade it in!

Toronto1

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:26:52 am »
I still have pony in my mind. It will take a lot more than this to shake it off.
Sorry

You're kidding, right !? Are you really basing your impression on a model from the mid eighties. Honda and Toyota built a lot of crap before they got it right as well. I guess the 100,000 Canadians who bought Hyundais last year would beg to differ

No, I'M NOT.

To answer your question with questions:
Did millions of Toyota buyers got it wrong?
Why are millions of people basing their buys on the american car models from 10 years ago?
The new american models such as buick lacrosse, regal, chrysler 300, pontiac G8 etc are fantastic cars for the money but a lot of people will say they don't like them because their older models were crap.

It is the reality and we make our decisions on previous experiences.
In my opinion it will take much more to make me buy a Hyundai, I have no plans to actually ever buy one. Specially not this one with the tomorrow out of style curves.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:58:05 am »
Okay let's try to keep this thread on topic and not about bashing personal views.  Toronto1 doesn't like the sonata, he said his peace if you don't agree IGNORE him and continue on with your comments (love or hate).

Thanks.

Alex S

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:14:48 am »
James finds himself driving something other than a sports car for the first time in weeks. The car is the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, a sedan that breaks the family car mold stylistically. Follow along to see if it still delivers the family-car goods.

I'm going to have to agree with the reviewer that is the best looking car in the segment.  It's actually not even close imo.
This car could sell on looks along BUT, add in class-leading power figures, class-leading fuel efficiency (amazed they were able to pull best power/best fuel efficiency combo), class-leading warranty, among the leaders in interior volume, tops in reliability and quality and you have a package that pretty hard to top.  Oh, and it doesn't hurt that it's among the least expensive in its class too..

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:26:00 am »
I was interested in this new Sonata. I like Hyundia's based on the good experiences my friend's have had with them. I love the interior but still trying to decide if the exterior does it for me. Certainly a bold and innovative design.

The potential deal breaker for me is that I have read in other reviews about poor on center steering feel. A couple of reviews have mention the requirements to make many steering corrections on highway as car tends to wander. If true... this is not the car for me.

However I have read and watched other reviews that praised how this car tracks and handles.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
very nice looking vehicle both inside and out, however I prefer the new design of the 2011 Optima.  It would be an interesting comparison between these two vehicles as they both use the same platform and drivetrain, but the execution is totally different - not like is used to be when you compared the old Sonata to the old Magentis.
It's good to see these two companies finally building products that are very different to each other.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:04:06 am »
My vote goes in the "I like it" box. :thumbup:

I'll be more curious about James' driving impressions.  We had an '09 v6 Sonata as a rental for a month in the fall of '08.  Besides being a little softly sprung for my liking, I was very impressed.  I really liked the smooth v6, it had plenty of oomph.  I was a little surprised when I read the v6 was gone for the new one, and that it was a 4 cylinder only.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 10:17:18 am »
Quote from:  Sonata Review Day 1
Besides the new looks (that make the Sonata, in my opinion, the best-looking mid-sizer available today) you get a class-leading 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine that uses direct fuel injection.

Yes, that's all well and good, but is it badass??  :)

I do think it is the segment leader in style.  It turns my head every time I see one - and that's happening an awful lot these days as they seem to be selling well.

About the only thing I didn't like about my test drive was the slightly thrashy engine note.  Well, that, and the absence of a manual transmission on anything but the base model.  I found the 2.4 more than adequate, but coming from my VQ Altima I certainly did notice the step down in power.  I suspect the upcoming turbo Sonata would bridge the power gap entirely, though the stickshift seems to be disappearing entirely from the class - you can't even get the Altima V6 sedan with a stick anymore.  The interior was nicely laid out, but I would put the material quality at more or less class average - not great, not crap. 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

roscoe

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34:40 am »
There is a LOT of expectation and speculation being placed on the 2011 Sonata, from consumers as well as industry competitors. Hyundai has been making all the right moves over the past 10 years, and they're about to pay off (i.e. dumping all profits into R&D, encouraging internal competition from Kia, maintaining the 10-year warranty).

The fact is that Toyota - irrespective of quality woes - cannot and has not made an interesting car for the North American market in years now. Honda, on the other hand, has stuck a little too close to its no-longer winning formula and has failed to show any willingness to experiment or take risks with its product lineup.

Take all of these industry conditions into account, throw in a well-made, well-priced, and well-endowed Korean car into the mix, and you have all the right ingredients for the underdog to become top dog. Of course, Hyundai still has a long way to go before that happens, but the new Sonata is a helluva start...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:49 am »
I'm following this one as my father is now in the market to replace his Legacy which is coming off lease.

He's viewed but not driven the Sonata. He's 70 and he was very impressed with the interor and amount of features for the $. He didn't mind the styling one way or another (my Mom hated it but as he said "well its not your car  :-))

He's shopping it against Fusion, Malibu and maybe Camary.

The price for features is great but not as big a deal with Ford and GM having Family/Employee pricing on right now.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 10:51:22 am »
very nice looking vehicle both inside and out, however I prefer the new design of the 2011 Optima. 

Me too - I like the styling of the Sonata, but I prefer the look of the 2011 Optima.  With Peter Schreyer (former Audi designer) as head of design, the new Kias are quite boldly styled and distinctive from the Hyundais that share the same platforms.

I especially like the interior of the Optima.
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:35 am »
^
|
|
|

Damn,, that IS nice...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:42 am »
very nice looking vehicle both inside and out, however I prefer the new design of the 2011 Optima. 

Me too - I like the styling of the Sonata, but I prefer the look of the 2011 Optima.  With Peter Schreyer (former Audi designer) as head of design, the new Kias are quite boldly styled and distinctive from the Hyundais that share the same platforms.

I especially like the interior of the Optima.

To each their own of course, but I like Kia's interior a lot more. European, more mature and sophisticated, extra leather stitching on the dash, steering wheel. I'd choose traditional over space-ship-ish.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 11:41:57 am »
Like some others here, I think the 11 Sonata is currently the class leader when it comes to both interior/exterior styling.  I wouldn't think twice about buying this over a current Camry or Accord.  I think this Sonata will do VERY well for Hyundai, and I have been seeing a lot of them on the roads lately as well.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:05 am »
Hyundai definitely seems to be the car to beat in this segment (and some others). Personally I would wait for the 2011 turbo model!!! Direct injection + turbo =  274 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque plunked into a chassis that's among the very lightest in its class!! ;D