Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6 AWD  (Read 15993 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6 AWD
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »
I really like the look of this thing.  But holy smokes - I bet that d-pillar blind spot could hide a semi.  :o

Jaeger

That's why you can rotate your head.  Plus, follow these instructions: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Dan

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »
I dont understand why so many new designs on not just this wagon but many others and even SUV's CUV's all seem the have such poor visibility. The new trend seems to be to shrink the windows and have almost no visibility just to make the so called design to be more appealing. Just take the new Kia Sportage and even the CTS wagon its just so hard to see anything around you....hummm maybe thats why all these non-sense gadgets are now available like blind spot monitoring system and lane departure systems are being made available on cars. Its like "hey lets design a car with poor visibility and we can add those so called features and charge even more" No thanks I prefer to still do my own driving and shoulder checks and if you are that lazy that you cant then take a taxi or public transportation. So I prefer to drive a vehicle where I can actually see around and behind me and not have to guess what may or may not be there.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 08:51:48 pm »
Some (a lot?) of it is simply styling, but some of it is necessitated by the roof crush standards.

Our Vibe was a pain that way, but you do get used to it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »
Nice vehicle, but I have not seen ONE on the road yet.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »
Ok this is a nice looking car.

But that fact that Cadillac is comparing this car to the 5 series or the A6 is laughable. This car is in no way, shape or form close to those German legends. Pricing it in the same category does not and should not automatically enter it into the same realm as the above mentioned.

This Caddy should be compared to the 3 series or A4 if anything. Unfortunately when you do this, you quickly price it out the contest. Lets be realistic, this car, as nice looking as it is, is not even on the same playing field as the 3 series or A4. Cadillac doesn't even take this car seriously. I have not seen one advertisement for the wagon...... the SRX and sedan are all over the place, but its clear that someone at Cadillac wants the wagon to fail.

Just about everything you wrote is laughable.  Pick up a magazine once in a while, or take a look first hand, not just base your decision on the stereotype that all German products are golden.  The last time I looked at a Bimmer, their prices were laughable, especially when you start adding options. Never mind the back seat or cargo room.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q3/2010_cadillac_cts_sport_wagon_3.6-short_take_road_test

Toronto1

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 10:34:05 pm »
I really prefer the sedan over the wagon.
I really like the CTS but I hate wagons in any shape or form. Just hate them..

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 10:43:02 pm »
I prefer the Wagon CTS over the sedan.  I think this thing looks great!  I wish more people would consider wagons when shopping for CUVs

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 10:43:18 pm »
I really prefer the sedan over the wagon.
I really like the CTS but I hate wagons in any shape or form. Just hate them..

Which is why NA roads are plugged up with overweight, oversized SUVs and trucks... ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

carboy

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »

Why didn't Cadillac offer the 6 speed manual transmission (available on the sedan), on the "Sport" Wagon?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »
Wouldn't the giant pillar at the rear be the D-pillar?

Yup, on a  5 door wagon or hatch, the farthest back pillar is the D. Farthest back on a 4 door sedan is the C.

Where did the C pillar go on the wagon?

Whoops. Found it. ;D

BTW that is a "proper" D pillar.

I believe the D pillars or Cs are larger now because of safety requirements

Bah, the Volvo's roof is strong and the pillars are narrow but (always a but) they used high strength boron steel in the cage. At least that is what they told me when I asked why I was paying so much. ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 05:07:46 am »
I really like the look of this thing.  But holy smokes - I bet that d-pillar blind spot could hide a semi.  :o

Jaeger

That's why you can rotate your head.  Plus, follow these instructions: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

No thanks.  Even if my head could spin 360 I still couldn't see through metal.  And I don't believe mirrors are a substitute for unobstructed (or rather, more minimally obstructed) rear / three quarter visibility.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:24 am »

Jaeger

No thanks.  Even if my head could spin 360 I still couldn't see through metal.  And I don't believe mirrors are a substitute for unobstructed (or rather, more minimally obstructed) rear / three quarter visibility.

Jaeger

:iagree:

I like a good looking, stylish car as much as anyone but I hate it when style trumps function. To me that's a sign of a failure in design. The poor visibility and reduced cargo area that stem from "style" choices take this car out of the running for me.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 10:03:59 am »

Why didn't Cadillac offer the 6 speed manual transmission (available on the sedan), on the "Sport" Wagon?

No clue. It's unfortunate, as I think the wagon/anti-SUV buyer may be more likely to select the manual.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 11:14:54 am »

No clue. It's unfortunate, as I think the wagon/anti-SUV buyer may be more likely to select the manual.

What was the take up of manual CTS sedans when it was offered? Almost zip (outside of the V series). Can't blame GM there. Audi doesn't offer a manual either.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

What was the take up of manual CTS sedans when it was offered? Almost zip (outside of the V series). Can't blame GM there. Audi doesn't offer a manual either.

Yikes. For Canada, order rate on sedans is under 4%.

Not Convinced

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:04 pm »
Ok this is a nice looking car.

But that fact that Cadillac is comparing this car to the 5 series or the A6 is laughable. This car is in no way, shape or form close to those German legends. Pricing it in the same category does not and should not automatically enter it into the same realm as the above mentioned.

This Caddy should be compared to the 3 series or A4 if anything. Unfortunately when you do this, you quickly price it out the contest. Lets be realistic, this car, as nice looking as it is, is not even on the same playing field as the 3 series or A4. Cadillac doesn't even take this car seriously. I have not seen one advertisement for the wagon...... the SRX and sedan are all over the place, but its clear that someone at Cadillac wants the wagon to fail.

History tells us the Caddy will suffer from  Chassis  Thunk  Syndrome.