Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Suzuki Kizashi  (Read 15673 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Suzuki Kizashi
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 12:10:30 pm »
At least importing a 6 speed manual sport model from the US is an option.

Having the manual in the States, but not here is idiotic! The take rate of manuals in Canada is twice that of the US the last time I saw numbers.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 12:21:46 pm »
Speaking of Subaru, they are not moving away from CVT they are expanding its use - Impreza and Forester are the next inline to get "blessed" with such a unit (this is the rumor at least). The new Legacy and Outback have been "fixed" already (4 cyl versions).
The same goes for Mitsubishi (4-cyl vehicles).

You are correct of course. I was thinking more of Toyota, Honda, the Euros and NA manufacturers. Nissan has hitched itself quite strongly to the CVT and Subaru has used them very early on in the Justy. Ford ditched the one in the Taurus/Freestyle as soon as the 6 speed was available in decent numbers. The one in the Calibre is going too if I remember correctly. The CVT available in the A6 is only available in the FWD version and is likely not going to be available in the next model at all.

JoBlow

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »
CVT doesn't make sense in any car.  Look on the net about CVT at least 50% are not rebuildable if it fail and then check the price of a new one. 
Happy week Nissan owners.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »
Why even produce vehicles if you're only going to rebadge someone elses product and do it poorly.  Come up with some original stuff or copy something good like a VW, Honda, or Subaru.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the fact is all volume manufactures outsource major powertrain components from 3rd party suppliers all the time - engines, AWD, transmissions, turbo, etc. so this is not an issue or novelty.

IIRC the platform, the engine, AWD in Kizashi are developed by Suzuki which is a big thing.
Do not forget that until last year or so, GM had a big stake in Suzuki and some Suzuki vehicles have been rebadged GM vehicles.
It takes more than 1-2 years to develop your own line of vehicles and Suzuki is no exception.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:10:18 pm by carcrazy »

CDF

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 01:26:26 pm »
Why even produce vehicles if you're only going to rebadge someone elses product and do it poorly.  Come up with some original stuff or copy something good like a VW, Honda, or Subaru.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the fact is all volume manufactures outsource major powertrain components from 3rd party suppliers all the time - engines, AWD, transmissions, turbo, etc. so this is not an issue or novelty.

IIRC the platform, the engine, AWD in Kizashi are developed by Suzuki which is a big thing.
Do not forget that until last year or so, GM had a big stake in Suzuki and some Suzuki vehicles have been rebadged GM vehicles.
It takes more than 1-2 years to develop your own line of vehicles and Suzuki is no exception.

Agreed. Good point.

Also, someone may have already posted this, but VW recently bought a stake in Suzuki, so perhaps the excellent Volkswagen Group 2 litre turbo and DSG tranny will make an appearance in the Kizashi some time soon.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 02:45:22 pm »
After reading the article, I'm not sure why Jill did not clearly identify the Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Package as the best and ONLY direct competitor of this car (4-cyl, CVT,AWD, smallish mid-size, "sport sedan", loaded). The Legacy is $2000 more than the Kizashi though.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:48:25 pm by carcrazy »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 05:04:20 pm »
The previous generation smaller midsize Legacy or the new oversized beast Legacy?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 06:21:26 pm »
The previous generation smaller midsize Legacy or the new oversized beast Legacy?

The current one. Even though it's bigger than the older model, it's still smaller than the most of the mid-size sedans. Kizashi is not exactly small either, only by comparison with the rest of the class.
Legacy and Kizashi are the only smallish midsizers with 4 cyl/CVT/AWD and this is why I said they are truly the only direct competitors.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:59:20 pm by carcrazy »

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:29 pm »
I don't get Suzuki either.  They seem more dysfunctional that our federal government.  I live close to the "largest volume Suzuki dealer in Canada".  They sell more used Ford Trucks than Suzukis.  Go in the showroom and it has 3 vehicles (Grand Vitara, Equinox and SX4).  The rest of the showroom is jammed with bikes and outboard motors.

The vehicle I might find interesting , a V6 Grand Vitara, is $7,000 or $8,000 cheaper in the US and the US version offers a much better warranty.

Shame on you Suzuki Canada!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 07:40:45 pm »
I don't get Suzuki either.  They seem more dysfunctional that our federal government.  I live close to the "largest volume Suzuki dealer in Canada".  They sell more used Ford Trucks than Suzukis.  Go in the showroom and it has 3 vehicles (Grand Vitara, Equinox and SX4).  The rest of the showroom is jammed with bikes and outboard motors.

The vehicle I might find interesting , a V6 Grand Vitara, is $7,000 or $8,000 cheaper in the US and the US version offers a much better warranty.

Shame on you Suzuki Canada!

Hey someone has to pay for their Canadian Head Office  :rofl:

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:26 pm »
True

But with YOY sales down 50%, they better wake up and smell the coffee...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 09:42:12 pm »
I did the 'build and price' on Suzuki's US website and I can get a Kizashi with a 6 sp manual for about $20k US.  It's a no brainer to buy south of the border, if this is the car you want.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 04:08:47 pm »
Funny how "professional" reviewers can have very different opinions. Automobile Magazine is doing a long test on the Kizashi right now. They have an update in July's issue. They like the car. Quote "It's amazing how pleasant a CVT can be when there's a good engine attached to it" marvels senior editor Phil Floraday. "Instead of that cheap,rough wail we typically associate with a CVT,there's a respectable engine note. The Kizashi feels much more responsive than other CVT-equipped vehicles"
I have have driven just about every CVT out there right now,except the Subaru and this Suzuki. I have to agree with most of you on this board,that they all feel the same to me. And that feeling is a horrible rubber band feel.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »
 Rumba band lead arl aboutit on mice  pace............................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 10:31:23 pm »
I'm betting right now that this car will be as popular as most other Suzuki's.  People just don't go to a Suzuki dealer when they're looking for a car.  Small SUV, maybe, but not a family sedan.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 01:48:21 am »
I can't help but feel that this is some kind of marketing strategy here from Suzuki Canada. I can't believe they don't realize that volume will be in the more basic equipped FWD models.  ::)

I think by first introducing the top dog model they're hoping to get people to forget about the re-badged Daewoo cars, and think sporty, luxury when they hear the name Suzuki. I wish them luck with that...tough to change perceptions. I'm sure FWD and manual models will follow in the next year or so. Otherwise this move makes no sense at all.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the CVT is not living up to the sporty credentials. Shame because it sounds like the chassis and suspension tuning are up to the task. Then again, the switch to CVT seems to be going over fairly well for Subaru in terms of sales. :-\

I hope this car makes some inroads for Suzuki. With the SX4 and now this Kizashi, it's looking more promising.

OneMoreAnnoyedCanuck

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 03:23:12 pm »
Just one more Canadian checking in here annoyed with the AWD+CVT = $30K being the only choice.

Suzuki's website hilariously enough has this for their blurb on the front page:

"Kizashi - The Power of Control"

Yeah, driving enthusiasts worldwide love the "control" they get from a crappy CVT. :rofl:

I'll make sure to stop by the local dealership and let them know to pass my displeasure on to Suzuki Canada.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 01:46:39 pm »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:29 am »
Imagine this car with a 270hp Di Turbo (like the Sonata is getting)

priggly

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 12:55:57 pm »
Crappy transmission (I personally would not buy ANY car with a CVT), wimpy engine, terrible dealer network, apathetic corporate attitude (at least in Canada), high price, . . . .

I fail to see any compelling reasons to buy this car.