Author Topic: Product Review: GE Nighthawk Platinum halogen headlamps  (Read 25589 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: GE Nighthawk Platinum halogen headlamps
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:03:17 am »

GE's new Nighthawk Platinum halogen headlights are easy to install, and are "an improvement over the OEM bulbs...especially on unlit country roads," says reviewer Frank Rizzuti, but the difference is not quite as dramatic as GE advertises, he says.

Read More...

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
Re: Product Review: GE Nighthawk Platinum halogen headlamps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:32 am »
People tell me the Nighthawk lighting improvement is negligible, not worth the steep cost, and they're very short-lived. Bulb life is about a year tops, the same as the warranty. Keep your cash register receipt!

This site contains good, relevant auto lighting information: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/Nighthawk Nighthawk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:25:35 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline dguthmann

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:52 am »
Bought a package (2 bulbs) of these over 2 years ago at Canadian Tire.  Right side bulb burned out after about 2 months.   :o
Bought a new package and replaced the bulb.  Then the left side burned out 2 months after that (4 months).  :(
Replaced that bulb and 3 months later the right side burned out again.  >:(
Gave up.  When back to standard bulbs which are still working fine.  Learned my lesson.   :'(

When they did work,  the light was definitely a noticeable improvement. 

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:19:48 am »
I have a new $16 light bulb on the left side ("Xtra-vision" or something IIRC), and a new generic $7 light bulb on the right side.

The difference between the two, for me, is negligible.  The $16 bulb looks an itsy bit brighter and whiter when I'm pulled up to my white garage door.  My car has projector lenses if that makes any difference.

aknutson

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:17:49 am »
Bought a package (2 bulbs) of these over 2 years ago at Canadian Tire.  Right side bulb burned out after about 2 months.   :o
Bought a new package and replaced the bulb.  Then the left side burned out 2 months after that (4 months).  :(
Replaced that bulb and 3 months later the right side burned out again.  >:(
Gave up.  When back to standard bulbs which are still working fine.  Learned my lesson.   :'(

When they did work,  the light was definitely a noticeable improvement. 

Same here - I've tried several upgraded bulbs from Canadian Tire, I think the last being a set of Silverstar Platinum bulbs ($50/pair!) and again they lasted about 4 months per bulb. They do come with a 1-year warranty but I lost the receipt, my bad. I would also agree with you that the performance was better...when they worked! Right now I'm back to OEM halogens and haven't had a problem with burnt bulbs. Hopefully my next car will have factory xenons and I won't have to worry about it...

scotty

Happy New Year
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:19 am »
Hello peeps

Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:16:05 am by scotty »

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:56:27 am »
Would never consider these type of "upgrades" for lighting. HID conversion with projectors improved my lighting. Nothing from Canadian Tire would come close.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:35:41 am »
I almost bought these a year ago for my jeep and changed my mind at the counter. Thank God because I'm sure what you guys are saying isn't just some coincidence.  Basically if your factory lights suck, live with it or go buy some crazy full sized off-road lights and mount them on your front bumper like the Rally car guys do.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:41 pm »
Everyone should look at Philips XTreme Power bulbs, they almost last just as long as your generic bulb but they produce a lot of light that's whiter than OEM without the blue tint. Comparison, an OEM H4 bulb produces 1,000 lumens of light. a Philips XTreme Power produces 1,500 to 1,680 lumens depending on which source tested them. 4300k HIDs are rated at 3,200 lumens by comparison. The Osram Nightbreakers are decent but I stay away from anything with a blue tint. They suck in inclement weather. Yellow light is way better for bad weather, 4,300k is the maximum white colour I would go with to maintain bad weather illumination.

Those who do have 9006/9005 bulbs in their vehicles could consider the 9012/9011 HIR bulbs, they produce at least 2,300 lumens, and cost about $25 a bulb, if you can still find them... Toshiba is discontinuing these bulbs. Philips is rumour to be manufacturing the next generation of HIRs.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:30:57 pm by DKaz »

aknutson

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »
Would never consider these type of "upgrades" for lighting. HID conversion with projectors improved my lighting. Nothing from Canadian Tire would come close.

It's an expensive option, but if you want truly improved lighting, you're right that's the best. I get pissed off at all these guys that put HID bulbs and ballasts in their factory non-projector fixtures, and the giant reflectors (designed for halogen bulbs!) splash light all over the road, including oncoming traffic. If you notice all factory Xenon HID systems use projectors because it cuts off the beam much cleaner, giving the driver improved visibility but not making everyone else blind, which is always nice  :o

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 05:09:58 pm »
Some cars use reflector base HIDs... older Infinitis and Nissan Maxima had reflectors, the Toyota Prius had an HID option, the Acura CSX has reflectors too, but these reflectors are specifically design for the HID's focal point and have a very sharp cutoff, almost as sharp as projectors, and can withstand the heat of HIDs.

Note that technically you're not supposed to put HIDs into halogen projectors either, admittedly I put HIDs into mine and the cutoff is very sharp with very little glare.

Sylvania sells proper HID conversions for older cars that use round or rectangular sealed beams for about $600, they do not create glare that'll blind oncoming drivers and are DOT legal. However I did not have $600 to spend for my Celica so I just got H4 conversion and am looking for the best standard wattage bulbs money can buy - brightest with a decent lifespan. I don't need white... BRIGHT > WHITE any day.

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:32 pm »
I would agree with Scotty as to Powerbulbs out of the UK being better source -cheaper than CTC, quick to ship and will often include a set of sidelight bulbs. Also Autoexpress UK tests bulbs  annually and you can get their assessments on line. I have used the Philips Vison Plus ( 1-2 years bulb life) and am currently using the Philips X-Treme Power ( 1 year bulb life) with the latter giving better output at the expense of bulb life. Are they worth it? That depends - if you do little night time driving in the country or have never felt that your existing ligths were left wanting then don't bother. If however you do want a bit of an upgrade then these will do the trick- they are not as good as the ads suggest but they are definitely better than stock but be prepared for more frequent changes. For myself I don't use these in my wife's Corolla as it a daytime, city car but for my Yaris I do use them (and the lamp change in a Yaris is hardly  a 2 minute job or soemthing  for the faint of heart ) and am preapred to put up with the cost and more frequent changes. I did revert back stock in the Yaris for a short while but couldn't tolerate the poor output so went to the Philips X-Treme Power.

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 08:55:46 am »
Some cars use reflector base HIDs... older Infinitis and Nissan Maxima had reflectors, the Toyota Prius had an HID option, the Acura CSX has reflectors too, but these reflectors are specifically design for the HID's focal point and have a very sharp cutoff, almost as sharp as projectors, and can withstand the heat of HIDs.

Note that technically you're not supposed to put HIDs into halogen projectors either, admittedly I put HIDs into mine and the cutoff is very sharp with very little glare.

Sylvania sells proper HID conversions for older cars that use round or rectangular sealed beams for about $600, they do not create glare that'll blind oncoming drivers and are DOT legal. However I did not have $600 to spend for my Celica so I just got H4 conversion and am looking for the best standard wattage bulbs money can buy - brightest with a decent lifespan. I don't need white... BRIGHT > WHITE any day.

Yeah the whole blue-tinted-white thing is just stupid, most of the lights offer the colour of HID but have even less lumens than standard halogen bulbs. But to be honest, a lot of *newer cars have excellent halogen lighting and xenon conversions are mostly for appearances, which is fine. A buddy of mine drives a new Toyota Matrix, and even with standard factory halogen bulbs the low-beams are wide, long and bright, and the highs are equally impressive. Older cars, however, can have vastly improved night vision from an upgrade kit...my Protege5 has the worst designed headlight assembly in the history of autodom, so I have given up on having proper night vision with this car.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:47 pm »
Yea, my 2008 Corolla's stock headlights were awesome. Bright and evenly dispersed lighting with a good horizontal cutoff.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 02:54:16 am »
Yea, my 2008 Corolla's stock headlights were awesome. Bright and evenly dispersed lighting with a good horizontal cutoff.

Ditto my 09 Sonata. I thought they were HIDs at first. My son just bought an 01 Acura CL with HIDs which look great, but I shutter to think of replacement cost.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »

Ditto my 09 Sonata. I thought they were HIDs at first. My son just bought an 01 Acura CL with HIDs which look great, but I shutter to think of replacement cost.

You can just change the bulbs for $60. If the ballasts are gone as well, bulbs + ballasts are about $130. I believe the 01 CLs used D2R bulbs. Pricey yea but HID bulbs last at least 3000 hours vs. 1000 hours for long life halogens vs. 350 hours for GE Nighthawks.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile

aknutson

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 01:52:35 pm »
I forget which mag ran the comparison but about 5-7 years ago (I know, dating myself here) I remember reading an article because it was the only one of it's kind I had encountered. It was a light output comparison that pitted all new cars for sale against one another, raking for distance, width and intensity of light output from low and high beam lights. I also remember the results being interesting because, in some instances, a very good traditional halogen setup outperformed a more expensive xenon assembly. I think one of the worst scorers was the (at that time 1st-gen) Audi TT with xenon projectors, whereas one of the better performers was actually the Mazda Protege5. They forgot to say that, while the P5 has good light output, if you ever have to replace a bulb you may as well say sionara to 3 hours and any skin on your knuckles.

Ross

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 01:11:33 pm »
I looked at the GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs, but the reviews on lifetime indicate they just don't last very long.  For the price it is not worth it.  Research indicated that the Phillips bulbs are as bright with longer life.  I installed Phillips Vision Plus (9004).  The have a clean white light (no blue colour), and the road signs are so much brighter than standard halogens (almost blinding reflection).  I couldn't find them in any stores locally so I ordered them from bulbs.com and had them shipped to Canada via standard post for about $26.   Will have to see if they last as long as the reviews say.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:14:18 pm by Ross »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
...while the P5 has good light output, if you ever have to replace a bulb you may as well say sionara to 3 hours and any skin on your knuckles.

Our 88 626 had horrible headlamps AND you lost the skin on your hands changing bulbs.  The worst of both worlds...