Author Topic: 2011 BMW 135i Cabriolet; Day 1  (Read 33601 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: 2011 BMW 135i Cabriolet; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 11:12:45 am »
What is with all the hate for $50-60G sport cars? If you can't afford one, too bad but don't dislike it because of that.

There is also the 128 for those who think the 135 is too much money. If you still think the 128 cost too much, this is not the car for you, move along, nothing to see here.

:iagree: Exactly, well said. The sense of entitlement is baffling.

Don't know if its an entitlement thing,, i think its just saying 'holy crap, $60K is a lot for a 1 series',  same as someone saying about a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T 'holy crap, what a screaming bargain that is'...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 11:15:05 am »
LOL ... James and this forum covers the full spectrum of vehicles. Where did you get the idea this site is only for pedestrian cars? This forum even covers non-automotive related topics... Shouldn't they be allowed either?

BTW: Some members here can afford this car too ...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:17:08 am by carcrazy »

Jerry M.

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 11:21:09 am »
What is with all the hate for $50-60G sport cars?

You identified the issue: it ain't. And it's certainly no 2002 successor.  :( It's in the ilk of the Volvo C70, the VW Eon (sp?), Mini Cabrio, etc.- or a 3-Series that has lost 200 pounds.

But it is no sports car.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:44 am »
What is with all the hate for $50-60G sport cars? If you can't afford one, too bad but don't dislike it because of that.

There is also the 128 for those who think the 135 is too much money. If you still think the 128 cost too much, this is not the car for you, move along, nothing to see here.

Has nothing to do with entitlement or affordability.
A review of a car like this is pointless from the point of view that:

1) very few here can afford one at $60k
2) Everyone already knows it is a FUN performance car
3) Regardless of whether James find any quirks with it, it is not going to affect the overall image, appeal or status of this car
4) people who buy these toys don't spend time discussing it on this forum; they just go and buy it, with the vast majority not giving a rat's behind about the little quirks here and there; they make their statement anyway.

Hence my original question, who is the target audience for this review? Those who will 'discuss' it or those who will actually park it in their driveway for 6 months just to move on to the next toy after?

I guess i'm a target, along with the others who hang around here and like reading & talking about all sorts of cars? 
This would not be a car i'd put in my driveway, but I still have an interest in reading James' impressions of it...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:50 am »

3) Regardless of whether James find any quirks with it, it is not going to affect the overall image, appeal or status of this car
4) people who buy these toys don't spend time discussing it on this forum; they just go and buy it, with the vast majority not giving a rat's behind about the little quirks here and there; they make their statement anyway.

Hence my original question, who is the target audience for this review? Those who will 'discuss' it or those who will actually park it in their driveway for 6 months just to move on to the next toy after?

I guess i'm a target, along with the others who hang around here and like reading & talking about all sorts of cars? 
This would not be a car i'd put in my driveway, but I still have an interest in reading James' impressions of it...

So your member of the "colour of hair month" , over 45 and wear high heels :o

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:42 am »

1) I didn't know you are privy to everybody's income here?
2) And everybody knows a Corolla is an economy car, what is your point?
3) I don't know if he has changed anybody's opinion on any car he has tested. Just read all the comments every week. Besides, who buys a car based on what somebody else writes.
4) Actually people do spend time discussing these cars and they have been discussed in the past on this and other forums.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 11:32:53 am »
LOL ... James and this forum covers the full spectrum of vehicles. Where did you get the idea this site is only for pedestrian cars? This forum even covers non-automotive related topics... Shouldn't they be allowed either?

I absolutely love reading about these cars, kinda gives me something to aspire to, no matter how lame that sounds. But I would prefer a slightly different format for different cars:

1) minivans would be reviewed from soccer mom's perspective with more emphasis on utility and reliability rather than their cornering ability (as long as it is acceptable)
2) family sedans from their value proposition, driving dynamics, visual appeal
3) sports cars
4) exotics
etc...

But when I see ALL cars being fit into the same format, it doesn't make sense as people buy different cars for different reasons, and those woh buy a maserati won't care about its fuel economy, while for a mom with 4 kids shopping for a minivan it may be a deal breaker. You see where I'm going with this.

I very much like the 135 but the review in its current format is useless. That's all.

aknutson

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

Don't know if its an entitlement thing,, i think its just saying 'holy crap, $60K is a lot for a 1 series',  same as someone saying about a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T 'holy crap, what a screaming bargain that is'...

Exactly!  :iagree:

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35:55 am »

Heh,,, no - i meant i'm a target for reading the review, not a target who would purchase the car (although if my wife decided she wanted one, that'd be okfine with me).

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:41 am »

I absolutely love reading about these cars, kinda gives me something to aspire to, no matter how lame that sounds. But I would prefer a slightly different format for different cars:

1) minivans would be reviewed from soccer mom's perspective with more emphasis on utility and reliability rather than their cornering ability (as long as it is acceptable)
2) family sedans from their value proposition, driving dynamics, visual appeal
3) sports cars
4) exotics
etc...

But when I see ALL cars being fit into the same format, it doesn't make sense as people buy different cars for different reasons, and those woh buy a maserati won't care about its fuel economy, while for a mom with 4 kids shopping for a minivan it may be a deal breaker. You see where I'm going with this.

I very much like the 135 but the review in its current format is useless. That's all.

I could see your point now, but not quite before. I think James tries in general to focus on what's important for the type of car he's reviewing, but maybe not enough for your liking. I guess he is the best to answer to that.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 11:50:44 am »
I attempt to, see Mustang review, I took it to an auto-x to get a real feel for it.

But I'm not a soccer mom so the best I can do is talk about potential uses as I have no way of filling the car with kids.  I do put my focus on what matters for most cars, next week I'm out of the sports cars and into a mid-sized sedan, quietest comfort and value are the key.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 12:01:08 pm »

1) I can afford one    but I would not.  I'd buy a conventional 3-er and for sure not a cabrio, not in this climate summer or winter. Many people on this forum could afford one and even more could afford to lease one  depending on their priorities in life...some people might even put the lifestyle of their family first strange as that might be.
2) Performance yes. Fun... I guess so for those who'd buy one
3) yep
4) not so sure about that.  I think if you look at the forum over a few years you'll see that a good few people who buy toy cars discuss their purchase to death. J****   and some don't   O*****

I appreciate James' reviews and the way they are done for different classes of vehicle even tho' I would never consider buying most of those he tests.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »
Whad..."But when I see ALL cars being fit into the same format, it doesn't make sense as people buy different cars for different reasons, and those woh buy a maserati won't care about its fuel economy, while for a mom with 4 kids shopping for a minivan it may be a deal breaker. You see where I'm going with this.

I very much like the 135 but the review in its current format is useless. That's all."

I see where you are going as well, but think that Consumer Reports might provide more info you want than this site. If this site is irrelevant, so is C&D, R&T, Automobile, MT mags, and tons of other internet sites. It's a free world and reading an internet site is not mandatory, so you do have choices.  ::)

BTW, not everyone who buys a BMW does so for "status" purposes.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »
At 60k you're right - the people who want one will just buy one regardless of what anyone says. Just like you're never going to talk a Chevy guy into a Porsche or a Ford guy into a Vette.

This is all just information thats being provided from the view of one human being. If you want to take a different view on how he does his job then maybe you should look at becoming a reviewer. If you're going to throw James under the bus - throw him under the bus for something he deserves - like being able to drive 3 nice sportscars back to back to back during the hottest summer in the last 30 years!

James, I hope you get a sunburn on the top of your head!  ;)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:43 pm »
So much hate :(

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 01:11:11 pm »
Remember the lip balm, sunburnt my lips on drive back from Darthmout last year  :'(

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 01:13:12 pm »
There are tons of 1-series 'verts around Montreal (and in my 'burb), to the point that I rarely notice 3-series convertibles (or 3-coupes altogether).  Perhaps due to leasing, the 1-series is doing much better than I thought it would do in the marketplace.

My own choice would be a base 128i Coupe, with stick of course, black on black.  I'm not questioning the price levels, but on a comparative basis, the relation with 3-series puts emotion before logic in a 1-series purchase.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »
There are tons of 1-series 'verts around Montreal (and in my 'burb), to the point that I rarely notice 3-series convertibles (or 3-coupes altogether).  Perhaps due to leasing, the 1-series is doing much better than I thought it would do in the marketplace.

My own choice would be a base 128i Coupe, with stick of course, black on black.  I'm not questioning the price levels, but on a comparative basis, the relation with 3-series puts emotion before logic in a 1-series purchase.

Thank you.

And that's pretty much what I meant.

A $60k 135 is an expensive toy. Hard to disagree that there are lots of 1-series on the road BUT how many of them are ridiculously expensive (for its class) 135's?

BTW, James' reviews are pretty much the only reason I visit this site in the first place, I would much rather rely on his opinion that some other mag review.

I wouold just prefer the 135 being reviewed as that - an expensive toy - yes, very competent indeed - but still a toy. And yes, I do firmly believe that the main reason to buy the 135 is for status as the lower priced 1-series make a lot more sense and more than enough performance for its weight to outperform pretty much any other car driven by a paycheck-to-paycheck mortal.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 02:12:45 pm »

Heh,,, no - i meant i'm a target for reading the review, not a target who would purchase the car (although if my wife decided she wanted one, that'd be okfine with me).

Nice user pic.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »
I'd be curious to know how many 1 series actually go out the door loaded up as much as James' tester.  I'm willing to bet very few once a buyer sees what else they can get into for $60k. 

From what I've read here, and other publications, a lot of manufacturers don't put base models into the press fleets, or even what the average person would buy.  I'm under the impression that most of them are loaded with every conceivable option
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson