Author Topic: Importing a car from the U.S.: Do your homework  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Importing a car from the U.S.: Do your homework
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:58 am »
When Haney Louka bought a used Infiniti from the U.S. that he via an Internet search, he did his homework beforehand to avoid being taken for a ride by a shifty seller. Here's his advice.
Read More...

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
Re: Importing a car from the U.S.: Do your homework
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »
How about some info on what you had to do in order to get it over the border? Did they give you a hard time at customs?
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:13 pm »
How about some info on what you had to do in order to get it over the border? Did they give you a hard time at customs?

The process is extremely straight forward actually........so long as you know what is required when crossing the border.  You need to have the original bill of sale, original title, and recall clearance letter when arriving at the US border.  Also, the title will need to be faxed to the US border that you will be bringing the vehicle across at 72 hours prior to your arrival.  I spent about 5 mins at the US border when I brought my S2000 across.  At the Canadian side you will need to fill out a vehicle import form, pay for the RIV fee, AC fee if applicable, and duty.  I spent about 20 mins on the Canadian side and I found the entire process to be very straight forward. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

mikemcm

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:23:36 pm »
Don't forget to see if your import gets hit by the gas guzzler tax. This can be a huge hit. Most cars won't qualify but still best to check. My imported Honda Pilot was exempt and it goes through gas like it's free.
The  import process is by and far the easiest dealing I have ever had with government. My Pilot was delivered to a bonded warehouse in Ottawa (from Ohio) late Thursday afternoon. I had it in Ontario plates by Saturday at 9:30. So one full business day to completely finish the whole import process. The salesman in Ohio I worked with was great and knew the process inside/out. Look at the Importing Car Into Canada thread on townhall-talk.edmunds.com for lots of information.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:45:42 pm »
Great info guys thanks!