Author Topic: Feature: Importing my car from the U.S.  (Read 18567 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Importing my car from the U.S.
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:08 am »

Contributor Haney Louka explains how he purchased his 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe in the U.S., and imported into Canada, saving big bucks in the process.  He offers a step-by-step guide for purchasing a vehicle in the U.S. and importing it into Canada.

Read More...

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Mazda 3 Leased and Returned / 2007 Infiniti G35X Current
Re: Feature: Importing my car from the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17:29 am »
Great article! Thanks for sharing.

Just a question though, where did you get the temporary insurance? Was it from your existing insurance company from Manitoba or was it from US?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:34:49 am »
Great article! Thanks for sharing.

Just a question though, where did you get the temporary insurance? Was it from your existing insurance company from Manitoba or was it from US?
You call your own Ins. Co. and tell them the particulars like VIN and such - you're insuring your own vehicle except the first time you drive it you will be stateside.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

aknutson

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:59:58 am »
That's a great article. If I may indulge you in a couple of questions, there's a few things I'm interested in...

1) You said you had 'no' plates, is this legal? Don't you need temporary plates to be on the road? How does that work when you get into Ontario?

2) Did you have to have your gauges converted from MPH to KPH? I know the readout includes both systems of measurement, but I remember doing some research a while back with a Mercedes SLK230, and one of the requirements for import was that the car went to a Mercedes-Benz dealer and had the gauge cluster replaced with a Canadian-spec set, a costly exercise...does this vary by car or manufacturer?

3) Did your Infiniti have a GPS system? I wonder what is involved in having one of these reprogrammed for Canadian systems, or if there is such a necessity.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:32 am »
3) GPS's typically have NA not canada/us
2) This sounds like a ploy for Mercedes to make money, if the digits exist there is no RIV requirement to have the dash replaced.
1) odd... maybe he meant temp plate?

Michael

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:32:19 am »
I prefer to keep my dollars in Canada...  ;D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:33:48 am »
1) Temp plates are issued by the US dealer. They are good for ~3 days or so to get out of the country. Once in Canada, you have ~60 days to get your own plates - this per the RIV process.
2) Varries by manufacturer. Mercedes and BMW use this tactict to augment their service department for the free-bee waranty work that you will may have done to a US vehicle. Both manufacturers also charge anywhere between $1000 and $2000 for the safety recall letter if you ask them for it. Better to ask the US Co. as they likely won't charge you for it if you are still hell bent on getting a MB or BMW.
3) GPS works fine. Not a concern.
Railton
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:35:47 am by Railton »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:43:14 am »
Another couple of points;
1) If you import into Ontario you have to have the car pass the Ontario Drive-Clean test as well. Canadian Tire will take care of this as well as the safety and DLR if applicable to your import.
2) If you locate a car in one state and have it transfered to another state there's a strong possability that the importing state will demand a safety inspection of the vehicle which you will be provide a copy of as well as any other vehicle inspection record that the dealership would complete as a matter of course. This is handy and wll let you know the condition of the car prior to having the money change hands and before you have the Canada Safety inspections done.
Railton

aknutson

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:36:03 am »

I do too, but in this instance the author in question was looking for a very specific car and it sounds like there wasn't much to be had in the local area. Prices are typically pretty competitive in the GTA and you can find lots of deals locally too - it's just a matter of being patient and finding exactly what you're looking for. Dealing locally also gives you a chance to negotiate possible problems with a sale, and chances are far greater the outcome will be positive as local laws and business practices are often in the buyers favour. If possible, even if it costs a little more, one-owner local cars are the best bet...that way it's not coming from auction with repaired damage, tampered odometer, etc.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:53:06 am »

While it's always good to keep your money in Canada, sometimes the savings are too large to pass up.  I brought back a 2005 S2000 last year from Chicago.  The S2000s in the Maritimes were going for $28k-$33k last summer for that same model year.  I purchased mine from Chicago for $14,900 US.  So as you can see, the savings were very significant and too much to ignore.  I don't blame people one bit for shopping south of the border.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:04:59 am »

I prefer to keep my dollars in my POCKET

I get a chuckle out of people who act like they go so far out of their way to "keep their dollars in Canada" that actually drive a Ford Fusion made in MEXICO rather than say a Corolla assembled in Canada.

There used to be a poster on here who bragged about even buying his sneakers from New Balance becuase they were made in the good old USA only to go look at the lable and find "Made in China " there.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:43 am »

Precisely! 

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:36:47 am »

I get a chuckle out of people who act like they go so far out of their way to "keep their dollars in Canada" that actually drive a Ford Fusion made in MEXICO rather than say a Corolla assembled in Canada.

There used to be a poster on here who bragged about even buying his sneakers from New Balance becuase they were made in the good old USA only to go look at the lable and find "Made in China " there.

You have a point about keeping money in your pocket, but supporting foreign economies through investing in products developed there is unquestionably detrimental to the local economy. I suppose the buzz word is that it's not 'sustainable'. If 20% of Canadians all of a sudden decided to buy their cars from the U.S., that's millions of dollars that would no longer be going to local auto dealers to sell inventory. Those dealers would either be forced to raise prices or go out of business. If they go out of business, local real estate, local taxes and even the contributions of that business to the community are affected. If they raise prices, even more people will shop elsewhere, perpetuating the downward cycle.

In regards to the Corolla, assembly is only part of the picture. The Corolla is still 'designed' in Japan, where all the R&D, finances, engineering, testing and development happens. The guys in the Canadian plant just get a big box of parts labeled 'Corolla' and are told to build it for good but not great wages - I guarantee the executives back in Japan are making a whole lot more than the guy on the line.

Ford's production in Mexico is an excellent example of why this system is not sustainable and doesn't work. Why do you think Ford has moved its production to Mexico? Because they have cheaper labour. Ford can't afford to pay a local worker $35/hr to build cars because North American's won't want to pay $30,000 for a Fusion - how do you compete with Korean car pricing when the wages to build them are half of what they are here? So instead Ford outsources the production, hires cheap labour, builds 'affordable' cars, and the guy in Kentucky who could have been making $35/hr to make a new Fusion in his hometown is now flipping burgers for minimum wage and paying for his 'affordable' $15K Focus. If Ford had produced locally, the guy would have been making $35/hr, and would be able to afford the $30,000 Fusion...it's all relative.

The globalized economy is a great idea in theory, but supporting local manufacturing, development and sales is actually more important than most people realize. Why do you think when the recession hit everyone in the U.S. started to chant 'made in USA'?

Calvin

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:49:12 am »
The reason Mercedes are a PITA is because they only read in MPH unlike every other mfg which reads in both MPH & KMH on the speedo.  Thereby forcing you to install a complete new dash if you were to import one. 

Imagine how much the author would have saved if they built this car in the US or Canada.  No duty then.  That's a good chunk right there, yet he still comes out ahead. 

I'm curious about the recall letter though.  My neighbour bought a 2003 350Z (private sale - Ebay, $9200 US no reserve auction, two sets of wheels, nice clean car) about 3 weeks ago and he just drove to a Nissan dealer in Minneapolis and they handed him the letter for nothing (once they figured out what he wanted - only the sales manager knew - no one else knew what he was talking about).  What did it cost?  If anything for the G35?

One other thing I've noticed is that if you want to save money, make sure you're buying a high end car or something similiar.  Impala's and Taurus' and even Civic's and Mazda 3's are virtually a wash, and in some cases you can get them cheaper here (especially the domestics) after you consider travel and all the other expenses.  Probably much cheaper here.  It def pays to do a ton of homework.  I only wish I had the money - maybe buy a few, make a few bucks and then buy one I really want.

Nice purchase on this one in any case...jealous I am.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:34 am »

You have a point about keeping money in your pocket, but supporting foreign economies through investing in products developed there is unquestionably detrimental to the local economy. I suppose the buzz word is that it's not 'sustainable'. If 20% of Canadians all of a sudden decided to buy their cars from the U.S., that's millions of dollars that would no longer be going to local auto dealers to sell inventory. Those dealers would either be forced to raise prices or go out of business. If they go out of business, local real estate, local taxes and even the contributions of that business to the community are affected. If they raise prices, even more people will shop elsewhere, perpetuating the downward cycle.

In regards to the Corolla, assembly is only part of the picture. The Corolla is still 'designed' in Japan, where all the R&D, finances, engineering, testing and development happens. The guys in the Canadian plant just get a big box of parts labeled 'Corolla' and are told to build it for good but not great wages - I guarantee the executives back in Japan are making a whole lot more than the guy on the line.

Ford's production in Mexico is an excellent example of why this system is not sustainable and doesn't work. Why do you think Ford has moved its production to Mexico? Because they have cheaper labour. Ford can't afford to pay a local worker $35/hr to build cars because North American's won't want to pay $30,000 for a Fusion - how do you compete with Korean car pricing when the wages to build them are half of what they are here? So instead Ford outsources the production, hires cheap labour, builds 'affordable' cars, and the guy in Kentucky who could have been making $35/hr to make a new Fusion in his hometown is now flipping burgers for minimum wage and paying for his 'affordable' $15K Focus. If Ford had produced locally, the guy would have been making $35/hr, and would be able to afford the $30,000 Fusion...it's all relative.

The globalized economy is a great idea in theory, but supporting local manufacturing, development and sales is actually more important than most people realize. Why do you think when the recession hit everyone in the U.S. started to chant 'made in USA'?

True dat.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »

I'm curious about the recall letter though.  My neighbour bought a 2003 350Z (private sale - Ebay, $9200 US no reserve auction, two sets of wheels, nice clean car) about 3 weeks ago and he just drove to a Nissan dealer in Minneapolis and they handed him the letter for nothing (once they figured out what he wanted - only the sales manager knew - no one else knew what he was talking about).  What did it cost?  If anything for the G35?

Nissan/Infiniti Canada don't charge Canadians for the Safety Recall letters. Personally, I called Infiniti USA and got my letter from them. Either way will work for this particular manufacturer.
Interestingly, when I looked at importing an Audi, Audi Canada was really helpfull when answering questions about US importation and for the recall letter. :thumbup:
Railton
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:18:13 pm by Railton »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

Can you name one company where the guy at the bottom makes the same or even close to the guy at the top?

mikemcm

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 01:17:04 pm »
I recently imported a 2006 Honda Pilot Ex-L from Ohio. Smoothest process ever. Salesman knew exactly what he was doing and even sent me pictures of the car being loaded for transport. I bought a Certified Used Honda and the vehicle was bought and serviced by the same dealership. If you compare certified used honda's in Canada with the same in the U.S it was ~6k savings.
The car was delivered to a bonded warehouse in Ottawa at 3:00 pm Thursday and I had it in Ontario plates by 9:30 am Sat morning. The RIV process is contracted out to a private company and it is very smooth.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 01:25:24 pm »
Can you name one company where the guy at the bottom makes the same or even close to the guy at the top?

Wish I could.  Before they sold to Uniliver, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream had a rule that no one in the company could earn more than 7X anyone else in the firm.  It meant that Ben and Jerry (yeah, they were real dudes) could earn a good salary, but everyone in the company shared in the success of the firm.  Turnover?  Ha.  The executive today is not about building a company with a solid workforce and long term product development.  It's about quarterly profits, bonuses and raping the corporate treasury before moving on.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »

Airbalancer International Inc.   is probably like that.   ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.